I’m a Mechanic: 9 Cars I Would Never Buy and Why They Aren’t Worth It

Olde Hornet

Tesla​

According to Car and Driver, Tesla “has proven that electric vehicles can be desirable, combining outstanding performance and high-tech interiors with usable driving range.”

Driving a Tesla may seem wonderful until it needs repairs. Pyle ranks Tesla and Rivian among the top cars he wouldn’t buy because the cost of owning the car outweighs the price. A 2024 Tesla Model 3 starts at nearly $41,000.

Pyle ranked Tesla, along with Rivian, at the top of the list of cars he wouldn’t buy.

“The reasons are the cost of ownership once a motor or battery fails, and the repair cost is far more than the vehicle value.”

Dash Lewis, writing for Jalopnik, a news and opinion website about the “culture of cars,” says Tesla is one of the most expensive cars to repair and maintain.

Rivian​

The Rivian tied with Tesla as the top car Pyle said he wouldn’t buy. Rivian is a California-based start-up that manufactures premium electric SUVs and pick-up trucks from their Illinois factory.

“The high cost of collision repairs and collision insurance can often be a car payment in itself,” Pyle said.

A 2025 Rivian RIT pick-up truck starts at $71,000. Like the Tesla, the Rivian is an expensive vehicle to repair. One Rivian owner said on an online forum that a minor accident cost him much more than expected. What appeared to be a bent bumper cover and a dented tailgate resulted in mechanics having to disassemble the truck’s rear end and two and a half months of repairs.

“I figured the repair would be expensive but had no idea!” the Rivian owner said. “Originally her insurance estimated the damage to be around $1,600 and sent me a check…The final bill was over $42,000!”

Tesla​

According to Car and Driver, Tesla “has proven that electric vehicles can be desirable, combining outstanding performance and high-tech interiors with usable driving range.”

Driving a Tesla may seem wonderful until it needs repairs. Pyle ranks Tesla and Rivian among the top cars he wouldn’t buy because the cost of owning the car outweighs the price. A 2024 Tesla Model 3 starts at nearly $41,000.

Pyle ranked Tesla, along with Rivian, at the top of the list of cars he wouldn’t buy.

“The reasons are the cost of ownership once a motor or battery fails, and the repair cost is far more than the vehicle value.”

Dash Lewis, writing for Jalopnik, a news and opinion website about the “culture of cars,” says Tesla is one of the most expensive cars to repair and maintain.

Rivian​

The Rivian tied with Tesla as the top car Pyle said he wouldn’t buy. Rivian is a California-based start-up that manufactures premium electric SUVs and pick-up trucks from their Illinois factory.

“The high cost of collision repairs and collision insurance can often be a car payment in itself,” Pyle said.

A 2025 Rivian RIT pick-up truck starts at $71,000. Like the Tesla, the Rivian is an expensive vehicle to repair. One Rivian owner said on an online forum that a minor accident cost him much more than expected. What appeared to be a bent bumper cover and a dented tailgate resulted in mechanics having to disassemble the truck’s rear end and two and a half months of repairs.

“I figured the repair would be expensive but had no idea!” the Rivian owner said. “Originally her insurance estimated the damage to be around $1,600 and sent me a check…The final bill was over $42,000!”
I have a Tesla Model Y. I like my car, but the cost of repairs do scare me. My car is only two years old, so I think I have maybe five more years on the battery needing replacing. There is another small batter that is in the car that I may have to replace next year.

Back