How to Clean the Worst Hard Water Stains From Your Toilet

Olde Hornet

After a long day of traveling, you finally get home after some time away, and make a beeline for the bathroom, and a familiar toilet. Except instead of the gleaming white toilet bowl you left behind, you find one full of brown lines and a ring. This is (probably) because you live in the 85% of the United States that has hard water.

What causes hard water stains in toilets?​

Hard water contains dissolved minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron. When hard water dries on surfaces like chrome sink faucets, it often leaves behind chalky, white stains (which are technically mineral deposits).

That residue can end up in the dry parts of your toilet bowl, too, but if your toilet is white, you probably don’t notice it. It’s much harder to ignore brown or rust-colored rings or stains, which are typically the result of having iron or manganese compounds in your water.

How to remove hard water stains from your toilet​

Start with vinegar and baking soda, then work your way up to the other methods:

What works on cars? My son's car keeps getting wet from my neighbor's sprinkler and I can't get the water spots off the windows or the car. I tried vinegar already and the car wash a few times

Back