how much is your Mayor worth?

dSWACizJSU

Earlier this week the Memphis city council proposed that the Mayor get a raise. Dr. W.W. Herenton, 1st black mayor of memphis, and been in office since 1992. council member rickey peete proposed that the mayor get a $60,000.00 raise to rise his income from 140,000 to 199,000. these idiots compared Memphis mayor to New York's.

Before you respond, mind you that the city provides the mayor with a navi, benz, and other cars with gas and insurance covered along with other goodies. i agree that he may need a slight raise, but if that is the case, the city employees need a raise and the city could actually use the monies for the good of the city. i think that the city council has their own agenda.
i did a lil research and the average mayor dosen't get over 150,000 per year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by dSWACizJSU
i agree that he may need a slight raise, but if that is the case, the city employees need a raise and the city could actually use the monies for the good of the city.

Out of curiosity, why do you think he "NEEDS" a raise? I mean, if he has all of those perks and a $140K annual salary what constitutes a NEED?

If he "needs" a raise, and gets it, then what does each city employee deserve? Must be nice when you can get a 42% raise while already making a triple figure salary. Sadly, unless Memphis is not like the average U.S. city, it's employees making $7-$9 an hour are probably furious about what is happening with this man. That's typical of city government though.

i would only say that he needs a raise because he has done a lot for the city in his 10 years serving, but the raise i would propose would be a bonus for his activity in bring down crime, schools, inner city development, etc and not a 60,000.00 raise. truth be told, the mayor is not pushing the issue, it is his city council, and i think that they have their own agenda. i would concur with a raise for city workers because they work long hours and to my understanding, they haven't had a raise in years.

I would think that this is a raise to also compensate the next mayors. It is probably a raise for the office of mayor not just the current mayor. I bet the council member who proposed it will be running for mayor next election.

Originally posted by jag4life
I would think that this is a raise to also compensate the next mayors. It is probably a raise for the office of mayor not just the current mayor. I bet the council member who proposed it will be running for mayor next election.

that is just it, people are running against him, but there is no competition and he keeps winning. the council member who proposed this informationi will probably attempt to run in the next 4 years, but he would be worse than this mayor and we denifitely don't need his sorry butt.

but they did state on the news last night that the mayor's income will increase with the regular cycle just as any other city worker. the council member who proposed this mess released the statement and he didn't look happy about it.

Back