How Fobbs' New Deal with Grambling Stacks Up to Others in SWAC, FCS

The Founder

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/s...eal-grambling-state-stacks-up-swac/727325002/

While the institution wasn’t able to offer Fobbs a base salary raise – it did increase from $195,000 to $198,000 due a 2-percent uptick all GSU faculty garnered – the $121,000 yearly kick from the Grambling State University Foundation, the 43-year-old head coach stands to make $319,000 for the 2018 season before incentives. That rate makes Fobbs the highest-paid head football coach in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, the next closest being Texas Southern’s Mike Haywood at a $300,000 base salary. Also, Fobbs is the highest- paid FCS football coach in state of Louisiana.

Glimpse at SWAC head football coach annual salaries

Broderick Fobbs, Grambling State - $319,000

Mike Haywood, Texas Southern - $300,000

Tony Hughes, Jackson State - $265,000

Connell Maynor, Alabama A&M - $195,000

Donald Hill-Eley, Alabama State - $185,000

Dauson Odoms, Southern - $180,000

the real question is what does the pool look like for the assistants. they do the heavy lifting day to day and if they aren't compensated well will be snatched away by other programs.

It’s really about perspective. No one thinks academics when they think Alabama and LSU. A successfully known athletic department recruits academic students as well. Fobbs along with other leaders at Grambling have been across the nation generating funds for overall scholarships period in addition to funds needed specifically for athletics. Having strong leaders that spread the Grambling brand and message is priceless. So, we cannot only measure the price tag by our respective athletic budgets but also by the residual impacts of the investment. If we don’t pay our GOOD leaders, who will? Our alumni fundraising and overall alumni involvement is at an all time high.

There are some things we have in common with our PWI counterparts but there are plenty of places where we differ. We cannot build approaches solely on how they do things. And, why should we? Grambling will never be Northwestern State and I thank God for that every single day. The social dynamics of our student population will always be different. So why should I measure my worth by how they measure theirs? Our initial creation and continuing mission is our own and we must embrace that mission because it impacts real people in real life.

When a high school counselor states to one of the “smart” black kids that they don’t know why they would choose Grambling, Southern, or another HBCU, that should not makes us desire to be them. It should make us chuckle because there many things in life they will never understand. I don’t measure my worth through another man’s gaze of the world. Our people overall have never been on the same playing field as them. We all know this to be true. While I can excel to whatever height I have in me, am I not my brother’s keeper? So... I will not critique everything about our own people all while at the same time knowing overall our education levels, living conditions, discretionary income, generational wealth, and current day salaries etc etc do not aligned fairly, equally.

Sam Houston State’s coach can move on to another school at higher level that can pay them more a lot easier than our own. So why would we not pay ours a premium? Our presidents, VPs, faculty, staff are worth the investment in them too. We can’t demand greatness at bargain prices and yes they are bargain prices because all things are not even. Our coaches have to do far more than these other coaches do. Ours deserve every penny and if they lose. Fire them. That’s the nature of the business.

I think in the swac we pay to much for coaches . Hell our payroll is more that we profit on the sport. Add travel , meal , room and board plus books scholarships an tell me if our schools HBCU are making a profit . Trust no hate just not a good business practice.

I've said this for a few years.

I have done the soccer games at Valley for a couple of years and trust me the big money that goes to football means the other non-revenue sports suffer and it shows.

It’s really about perspective. No one thinks academics when they think Alabama and LSU. A successfully known athletic department recruits academic students as well. Fobbs along with other leaders at Grambling have been across the nation generating funds for overall scholarships period in addition to funds needed specifically for athletics. Having strong leaders that spread the Grambling brand and message is priceless. So, we cannot only measure the price tag by our respective athletic budgets but also by the residual impacts of the investment. If we don’t pay our GOOD leaders, who will? Our alumni fundraising and overall alumni involvement is at an all time high.

There are some things we have in common with our PWI counterparts but there are plenty of places where we differ. We cannot build approaches solely on how they do things. And, why should we? Grambling will never be Northwestern State and I thank God for that every single day. The social dynamics of our student population will always be different. So why should I measure my worth by how they measure theirs? Our initial creation and continuing mission is our own and we must embrace that mission because it impacts real people in real life.

When a high school counselor states to one of the “smart” black kids that they don’t know why they would choose Grambling, Southern, or another HBCU, that should not makes us desire to be them. It should make us chuckle because there many things in life they will never understand. I don’t measure my worth through another man’s gaze of the world. Our people overall have never been on the same playing field as them. We all know this to be true. While I can excel to whatever height I have in me, am I not my brother’s keeper? So... I will not critique everything about our own people all while at the same time knowing overall our education levels, living conditions, discretionary income, generational wealth, and current day salaries etc etc do not aligned fairly, equally.

Sam Houston State’s coach can move on to another school at higher level that can pay them more a lot easier than our own. So why would we not pay ours a premium? Our presidents, VPs, faculty, staff are worth the investment in them too. We can’t demand greatness at bargain prices and yes they are bargain prices because all things are not even. Our coaches have to do far more than these other coaches do. Ours deserve every penny and if they lose. Fire them. That’s the nature of the business.
very well said.

So ... using the “athletics is the front door to your university” saying ...

How much has applications increased since Fobbs took over? How much has enrollment increased since Fobbs took over?

I believe Gram, like Alcorn had reported application bumps with Celebration Bowl appearances. Whether that’s anecdotal (for PR purposes) or hard numbers, that’s worth a look.

Please note that I’m not trying to smack anyone. However, we cannot talk about these salaries and hopes of championships and use growing the student body without actually looking at potential increases in applications and enrollment (which really you cannot solely credit a coach or marching band for).

We are trending upward and have been over the past few years. If anyone wants the percentage increases, there have been articles speaking to Gramblings upward ticks in enrollment. If you want app counts, contact our institutional research department.

Athletics is piece of the total puzzle. Fobbs is apart of that. Gallot is apart of that. Our admissions director and department is proactive and responsive. Our fundraising arm is more active than it ever has been.

When you find good leaders, you better do something to keep them.

How much has applications increased since Fobbs took over? How much has enrollment increased since Fobbs took over?

I believe Gram, like Alcorn had reported application bumps with Celebration Bowl appearances. Whether that’s anecdotal (for PR purposes) or hard numbers, that’s worth a look.

Please note that I’m not trying to smack anyone. However, we cannot talk about these salaries and hopes of championships and use growing the student body without actually looking at potential increases in applications and enrollment (which really you cannot solely credit a coach or marching band for).

For the 100th time.... application bumps have gone up for EVERY single HBCU.... because now there are apps where you can apply for EVERY HBCU by filling out one application. I guarantee you it has nothing to do with a football championship (at this level)... white folks pick schools off of stuff like that.

EXCELLENT POINT!

My beloved UAPB is dealing with this now

For the 100th time.... application bumps have gone up for EVERY single HBCU.... because now there are apps where you can apply for EVERY HBCU by filling out one application. I guarantee you it has nothing to do with a football championship (at this level)... white folks pick schools off of stuff like that.
Black folks too. Some folks choose a school because of the party reputation, the football reputation, basketball, or band reputation. A lot of Black teens choose schools based on the band's reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: JR
We are trending upward and have been over the past few years. If anyone wants the percentage increases, there have been articles speaking to Gramblings upward ticks in enrollment. If you want app counts, contact our institutional research department.

Athletics is piece of the total puzzle. Fobbs is apart of that. Gallot is apart of that. Our admissions director and department is proactive and responsive. Our fundraising arm is more active than it ever has been.

When you find good leaders, you better do something to keep them.

Gallot has brought dynamic, charismatic leadership to Grambling. You can visibly see the energy in the alumni and current students.

What’s you’re saying just illustrates my point. Several factors are in play. However, if all parties don’t share the same goals and vision ... a college perishes of finds itself mired in mediocrity and apathy.

Living in Grambling and serving as a Deputy Assessor for the state assigned to Lincoln Parish where GSU is located I can tell you first hand that the student enrollment has increased. This increase has also shown an increase in hiring and persons willing to invest long term by building homes and positive changes in the infrastructure.

The City of Grambling is making strides off this by extended their city limits where Grambling and Ruston now touch. The next phase is to push more businesses for Grambling to go East and Ruston businesses to go West. There is a new interstate exchange opening later this year and a service north of interstate is planned to run between Grambling and Ruston.

Another positive point is that both universities are working in tandem for this growth.

I speak from an infrastructure perspective.

However, if all parties don’t share the same goals and vision ... a college perishes of finds itself mired in mediocrity and apathy.

That is a great point but all parties are sharing the same goal. There are a few other pieces that need be added though.

I think in the swac we pay to much for coaches . Hell our payroll is more that we profit on the sport. Add travel , meal , room and board plus books scholarships an tell me if our schools HBCU are making a profit . Trust no hate just not a good business practice.
Long ways from paying coaches $85k a few years ago

Back