House republicans deliberate crashing of the economy, social security and Medicare

Olde Hornet

It looks like the house republicans are determine to send the country into default or close to it. This cost of doing this will result into economic damage.
:crazy:

I am trying to make a decision if I want to sell half of my investment assets and move that money into cash. Interest rates are rising and will rise more with their actions, this might be the best way to grow my money in 2023.
:shrug:

Any thought?
:popcorn:

It looks like the house republicans are determine to send the country into default or close to it. This cost of doing this will result into economic damage.

I am trying to make a decision if I want to sell half of my investment assets and move that money into cash. Interest rates are rising and will rise more with their actions, this might be the best way to grow my money in 2023.

Any thought?
You can reduce your overall risk by rebalancing your portfolio to less riskier investsments. Some conservative fixed rate funds or money market as you're currently thinking.

Have you noticed the trend the Republican party has of pulling stunts that devalue the dollar? Today it is about the debt ceiling, yester-year it was threats of government shut-downs.

Some think it is just political posturing, but I don't. I think some of those people are heavily invested in gold and other precious metals that tend to increase in value simultaneously with the devaluing of the dollar.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
You are correct about me moving to conservative investments.

I just thought that the house republicans don't care about governance or understand basic economics, only talking points.

You are correct about me moving to conservative investments.

I just thought that the house republicans don't care about governance or understand basic economics, only talking points.
As far as getting elected, I have to agree with you to an extent. Those maga and freedom caucus trolls are no deeper than what you're saying, but it seems their voters totally fit your description.

They don’t care. Some of them just want to see the world burn. Others just want the notoriety for the rest of their life.

The G.O.P.’s Long War Against Medicare and Social Security​

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/13/opinion/columnists/republicans-medicare-social-security.html

And then there’s that historical record. Two things have been true ever since 1980. First, Republicans have tried to make deep cuts to Social Security and Medicare every time they thought there might be a political window of opportunity. Second, on each occasion they’ve done exactly what they’re doing now: claiming that Democrats are engaged in smear tactics when they describe G.O.P. plans using exactly the same words Republicans themselves used.

So, about that history. It has been widely forgotten, but soon after taking office Ronald Reagan proposed major cuts to Social Security. But he backed down in the face of a political backlash, leading analysts at the Cato Institute to call for a “Leninist” strategy — their word — creating a coalition ready to exploit a future crisis if and when one arrived.

To that end, Cato created the Project on Social Security Privatization, calling for replacing Social Security with individual accounts — which George W. Bush tried to do in 2005. By then, however, Cato had quietly renamed its project; “privatization” polled badly, and Bush insisted that it was a “trick word” used to “scare people.”

So there’s a history here, and there’s a similar history for Medicare. Many people probably recall that Newt Gingrich shut down the federal government in 1995. I don’t know how many people realize that Gingrich’s key demand was that President Bill Clinton agree to large cuts in Medicare and Medicaid.

After Republicans gained control of the House in 2010, Paul Ryan began pushing for major cuts in spending. One key element was converting Medicare from a system that pays medical bills to a system offering people fixed sums of money to be applied to the purchase of private insurance — that is, vouchers.

But many though not all supporters of the Ryan plan insisted that calling vouchers “vouchers” was a left-wing smear.
So are people who claim that Biden was over the top unaware of this track record? Do they really not know that Republicans have spent more than four decades trying to find ways to undermine Medicare and Social Security? Are they unaware that there’s a long history of Republicans whining that Democrats are engaged in smear tactics when they describe Republican policies using exactly the same words Republicans used themselves until political consultants urged them to find euphemisms?

Back