Holyfield's son to walk-on at Auburn

orange tiger

Holyfield's son to walk on at Auburn

The Associated Press

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) -- Evander Holyfield Jr. doesn't bring a lot of experience to the Auburn football team -- he played just six games of football in his high school career -- but one thing he does have is a good athletic pedigree.

The 6-foot-3, 160-pound son of boxing great Evander Holyfield plans to walk on to the Tigers squad this fall, in hopes of one day developing into a star receiver.

"I have a talent for football," Holyfield Jr. told The Mobile Register for a Wednesday story. "I feel that once I learn more about the sport and get somewhere with someone who teaches me, I can be somebody really good."

Holyfield Jr.'s senior season at Landmark Christian High School in Atlanta in 2002 is his only prep varsity experience. Playing in just six games, he caught three touchdown passes from highly touted junior quarterback Alex Mortensen, son of ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen.

"Evander's problem is he didn't come out until his senior year, so it was hard to get him into the lineup," Chris Mortensen said Tuesday. "Alex felt like, 'God, if he had just been out on the team the year before."'

Holyfield Jr., 19, is the oldest of Holyfield's nine children. He transferred to Landmark from a New York prep school to be with his father. Football turned out to be a bonus.

"His senior year, we talked about him playing football, so he did and absolutely fell in love with it," said Landmark football coach Kenny Dallas. "He just needs to play the game. I don't know if he will ever be able to become a starting wide receiver for Auburn, but over the next five years he is there, I wouldn't be surprised if he would reach that point. He has all the potential in the world."

The younger Holyfield has hired a personal trainer to help get him ready for the upcoming season and make up for lost time.

He could bring more than raw athletic ability to the Tigers.

Alex Mortensen made an unofficial visit to Auburn Wednesday, and a connection to his former receiver could be an edge for the Tigers in what figures to be an intense recruiting battle.

Chris Mortensen said Auburn is on his son's short list, along with LSU, Arkansas and North Carolina State.

Alex Mortensen threw for 2,291 yards and 25 touchdowns with just six interceptions as a junior at Landmark last year.

Originally posted by enswaclopedia
I bet Holyfield is pissed. Four years of college to pay for and four more years of child support.

This is an excellent thought. Understand that big schools do not give out scholarships very willingly to walk-ons.

Originally posted by TRU3000
Nine children?WTF lol

aint holyfield pose to be a preacher or somethin? lol

Bite your tongue and shame the devil... :(

How about nine kids by 7 different women.

Originally posted by JSU*Toi
Bite your tongue and shame the devil... :(

How about nine kids by 7 different women.

The brotha was "being fruitful and multiplying":lmao: :lmao:

it may run in the family...

he had a half brother who played football for AAMU! back in the early mid 90's....he still comes to the classic every year! every once in awhile Holyfield will show up with him on the sideline....

Well, it could be worse.

He could be a running back, and with Auburn's backfield that would be even tougher to break into. Speaking of running backs, it's going to be interesting to see if Trey Smith can be the first successful white RB (other than your big brewsing Mike Alstot type) in quite a while. This little scrappy, quick scatback suprised some teams last year when Auburn was without both "Cadillac" and Ronnie Brown. Shoot, the ladd should have went to and HBCU.

I think Holyfield,Jr. is in for a rude awakening.He's played only 6 high school games at a private school.Auburn is a helluva place to try to walk on and learn how to play football. And,he's 6'3" and only weighs 160 lbs. He needs to go the juco route first just to learn the game.Anyway, I wish him well.:confused:

Holyfield's son to walk on at AU
Jr. played in six high school games
Associated Press

AUBURN, Ala. - Evander Holyfield Jr. doesn't bring a lot of experience to the Auburn football team -- he played just six games of football in his high school career -- but one thing he does have is a good athletic pedigree.

The 6-foot-3, 160-pound son of boxing great Evander Holyfield plans to walk on to the Tigers squad this fall, in hopes of one day developing into a star receiver.

"I have a talent for football," Holyfield Jr. told The Mobile Register for a Wednesday story. "I feel that once I learn more about the sport and get somewhere with someone who teaches me, I can be somebody really good."

Holyfield Jr.'s senior season at Landmark Christian High School in Atlanta in 2002 is his only high school varsity experience. Playing in just six games, he caught three touchdown passes from highly touted junior quarterback Alex Mortensen, son of ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen.

"Evander's problem is he didn't come out until his senior year, so it was hard to get him into the lineup," Chris Mortensen said Tuesday. "Alex felt like, 'God, if he had just been out on the team the year before.' "

Holyfield Jr., 19, could bring more than raw athletic ability to the Tigers. Alex Mortensen made an unofficial visit to Auburn Wednesday, and a connection to his former receiver could be an edge for the Tigers in what figures to be an intense recruiting battle.

Man at 6-3 160 he can't be **** in the SEC. Did someone say running back? Man to be running back in the SEC and not be killed lol YOU have to be atleast 6-2 220 with a little swivel in your hips and running no slower than a 4.4 if not yo ass is through. The only thing he can bring to Auburn is a nice donation from his daddy lol

yeah,,,

Originally posted by Butch Wms.
I think Holyfield,Jr. is in for a rude awakening.He's played only 6 high school games at a private school.Auburn is a helluva place to try to walk on and learn how to play football. And,he's 6'3" and only weighs 160 lbs. He needs to go the juco route first just to learn the game.Anyway, I wish him well.:confused:

That's a great assessment. The JuCo route would have been optimal.

Originally posted by FLAMES

Man at 6-3 160 he can't be **** in the SEC. Did someone say running back? Man to be running back in the SEC and not be killed lol YOU have to be atleast 6-2 220 with a little swivel in your hips and running no slower than a 4.4 if not yo ass is through. The only thing he can bring to Auburn is a nice donation from his daddy lol

This is an excellent point. Maybe the kid has something that people have never seen. Anyway, he will learn some tough lessons.

Originally posted by FLAMES
Holyfield's son to walk on at AU
Jr. played in six high school games
Associated Press

Holyfield Jr., 19, could bring more than raw athletic ability to the Tigers. Alex Mortensen made an unofficial visit to Auburn Wednesday, and a connection to his former receiver could be an edge for the Tigers in what figures to be an intense recruiting battle.

Maybe this is the most important part of the article.

re: Tre Smith...

Despite all the hype surrounding big Brandon Jacobs coming in... I don't think he'll beat out Tre Smith for 3rd string TB behind Caddy and Ronnie. Tre is the real deal and would be starting for alot of teams.

Re: re: Tre Smith...

Originally posted by keaau
Despite all the hype surrounding big Brandon Jacobs coming in... I don't think he'll beat out Tre Smith for 3rd string TB behind Caddy and Ronnie. Tre is the real deal and would be starting for alot of teams.

Auburn may as well go back to the Pat Dye era and break out the wishbone with Smith, Cadillac and Brown and Jacobs alternating depending on short or long yardage situations. Teletubbie better not blow this golden opportunity with such a wealth of talent in the backfield.

Back