Hawaii upsets BYU and gives them 1st L

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
Saturday, December 8

BYU gives up most points in school history

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECAP | BOX SCORE | SCORING

HONOLULU (AP) -- Nick Rolovich threw eight touchdown passes and Chad Owens scored on kickoff and punt returns as Hawaii ended BYU's (No. 7 ESPN/USA Today, No. 9 AP) bid for a perfect season with a 72-45 victory Saturday.

Hawaii (9-3) ended BYU's winning streak at 14 with the highest point total ever against the Cougars (12-1), who will play Louisville in the Liberty Bowl.

Rolovich, 8-1 since taking over as the starter, has passed for 20 TDs and 1,548 yards in his last three games. During that stretch, Hawaii has scored 176 points.

Owens got the rout started with his returns.

In topping the NCAA mark for combined return yards, the freshman returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown and took a punt 74 yards for another.

Owens, who came into the game ranked fourth in the nation in kick returns, finished with 342 yards -- 249 on kickoffs and 93 on punt returns. The total bettered the mark of 284 set by Tutu Atwell of Minnesota in 1997.

Brigham Young, which entered the game averaging 537.1 yards in total offense and 46.9 points, played without Luke Staley, the star running back who broke his leg last week.

BYU also was hampered by turnovers, with four of them leading to Hawaii touchdowns.

The sellout crowd, which chanted "Overrated! Overrated!" to the Cougars throughout the game, had barely settled in when Owens took charge. He returned the opening kickoff 64 yards to the BYU 32 to set up Rolovich's 23-yard TD pass to Channon Harris.

After BYU failed to move on its first possession, Owens made it 14-0, returning Aaron Edmonds' punt 74 yards for a TD.

The Cougars made it 14-10 on Matt Payne's 44-yard field goal and Brandon Doman's 24-yard scoring pass to Spencer Nead, but Owens put the game out of reach with his 100-yard kickoff return.

Hawaii made 31-10 at the half, with Justin Ayat kicking a 45-yard field goal and Rolovich hooking up with Ashley Lelie on a 15-yard scoring pass. Lelie, ranked third nationally with 131.9 yards per game, caught eight passes for 262 yards.

The Rainbow Warriors scored 27 points in the third quarter, including Rolovich's 80-yard TD pass to Ashley Lelie. The Cougars scored 21 points in the quarter.

Doman, who entered the game with 3,316 yards passing, finished with 226 yards on 17 completions and a pair of TDs. Charlie Peterson filled in for most of the second half and finished with 22 completions for 284 yards and two scores.

I know the lawyers are upset, there goes that lawsuit against the BCS. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

:lmao:

Originally posted by Olde Hornet
I know the lawyers are upset, there goes that lawsuit against the BCS. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

:lmao:

When I first saw that score on my sports ticker I thought it was the basketball teams playing.....

I wanted BYU to be undefeated to throw a wrench in that BCS crap and hope for them to take it to court.

Div IA football, the only sports that don't have a playoff system...so sad :smh:

HAHAHAHAHA

I was just so glad after the way they cheated Mississippi State the way they did. Im no big MSU fan in the least, but their conference refs was gabbage and helped them win the game against Mississippi State.

You can say what you want, but...

I watched the Hawaii/BYU game and Hawaii just straight punked BYU in every phase of the game. I was absolutely thrilled to death that BYU got handled the way they did and I like BYU.

I watched some of that game too and Hawaii beat the crap outta BYU.

I'm glad BYU got beat down. With that weak arse schedule. They also have the reputation as being one of the dirtiest teams in football. A couple of yrs ago, a lot of teams accused them of all kind of underhanded crap---spitting on opponents in the pileup, poking 'em in the eyes, and all kind of racial taunts. I've never liked them.

Back