Grambling freshmen make sudden impact

MACKG

a.k.a. NASTYNUPE
Clyde Edwards caught passes on the football fields of Houston last year. Now, a year later, Edwards is a starting wide receiver for the Grambling State Tigers.

The Tigers had seven freshmen starters last week against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. They also have 14 freshmen playing. Their lack of experience, though, has shown at times in a 3-3 start.

"I think our freshmen are doing real well. It's just unfortunate that at times they show up and are freshmen,'' GSU interim head coach Melvin Spears said Monday. "When you talk about playing in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, certainly it's going to get rough every now and then.''

Those rough spots now could pay off down the road. Grambling's first-year players are gaining valuable experience. They are also making an impact.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041019/SPORTS02/410190334/1001/SPORTS

Yeah, I was listening when they called the starters, and I told my mom, "They're almost all underclassmen!"

They ain't playing to be so young, though ...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tigerpride said:
So is playing freshman going to be the excuse that saves Spears job?

It will probably be part of the evaluation/decision making process. Hopefully our president will live up to his promise of having a nationwide search. If after the end of that, Spears is the choice then good. If someone else, that's all good too. As long as the person hired is the best available and the best man for the job.

I do know this though, we will not tolerate Spears or anyone else coming into Grambling and destroying our program to the same extent as we have seen at other schools in the conference. I will give Spears accolades for maintaining things during a turbulent season of injuries and academic ineligibility. The injuries are part of the game...but hopefully Spears and/or whomever is hired will put measures in place to better steward the academic progress of players. I understand some kids will not perform academically, but we must do all we can to put academic programs of tutoring and whatever else to help those young men who are trying to marticulate and graduate.

MACHIAVELLI said:
No...It has been 6:30 since the start of the season.

The scheduled I got said 1:30 and on MBC last night they said that the game has been changed to 6:30.

The Show said:
The scheduled I got said 1:30 and on MBC last night they said that the game has been changed to 6:30.

It has been 6:30 since the start of the season on GRAMBLING'S schedule.

Get Ready said:

Melvin%20Spears.jpg

Damn, why didn't I SEE this coming...

Is this guy #5? Out of the young reciever's I saw from Gram in Cincy, this kid seems to have the biggest upside.

NICE

Thanks SOG, I thought that was the kid. For a minute, I thought Spears figured out a way to get Tramon back for another year. :lol: He's definitely a baller.

NICE

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
D-NICE said:
Thanks SOG, I thought that was the kid. For a minute, I thought Spears figured out a way to get Tramon back for another year. :lol: He's definitely a baller.

NICE
Nice,

Its funny you should mention that because according to Spears and Eugene (before he got injured) Edwards reminded them so much of Tramon during pre-season camp that Eugene told Coach Spears to give him #5.

Back