From FBS to FCS, will there be any others to go this route?

It's definitely going to happen. Losing programs will not be able to sustain with the rising cost. If the MEAC and SWAC don't start preparing themselves for what's to come it will be trouble.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
A lot of FBS teams need to do this.

there is no way any P5 team will ever make the playoffs, and the G5 conferences are pimping them. Why stay in FBS when you will never get a shot at the title?

At least with HBCUS we created our own game because we know the deal, & we have too much history & tradition to keep letting the other FCS teams exclude us from the playoffs or put us in the least desirable match ups

A lot of FBS teams need to do this.

there is no way any P5 team will ever make the playoffs, and the G5 conferences are pimping them. Why stay in FBS when you will never get a shot at the title?

At least with HBCUS we created our own game because we know the deal, & we have too much history & tradition to keep letting the other FCS teams exclude us from the playoffs or put us in the least desirable match ups

ULM in Monroe!!!!!!

You got teams like New Mexico State that is in an FCS conference for basketball and FBS Independent for football. How does that even work?

Basketball and baseball are all “mid majors” I do see some programs making the switch to FCS it’s a never ending cycle. All these programs have to brace for impact if you not making enough revenue to sustain them there is a problem.

Yea i know that what i was meaning is that i didn't know they let you compete like that.

Yeah it happens in other sports (common in hockey in which you have schools that are D3 in every other sport except hockey)

ULM was the first school that comes to mind as far as needing to drop (PV and Alabama State spend more than them on athletics). NMSU, Uconn and UMass are definitely on the clock if they don't get it going. UConn and UMass are in bad spots as far as not being able to get into a G5 conference. NMSU needs the WAC to come back in football

If more FBS teams take the route of Idaho back to the FCS what happens to the SWAC and MEAC schools? I would theorize that it would become even harder for HBCUs to compete on the FCS level. Honestly, I think it would be best for the SWAC and MEAC to do one of two things: (1) leave the NCAA altogether or (2) drop down to Division II forming super conferences by teaming up with the CIAA and SIAC.

it's hard out there for the 100+ pwc competing in fbs. if your not one of the top power 5 teams your not making a lot of money. there is something that ul-monroe, troy, et al don't have that we do. if we ever had institutions competing at that level they'd have the ability to recruit more of the best players. I believe many men & women want the hbcu experience but they also want to compete against the best, and the best players are in fbs. a well managed hbcu football program could have unlimited success recruiting players, coaches and on the field. that success would spur unprecedented success in university growth creating "america's hbcu" effect. but that's just what I think.

..........there is something that ul-monroe, troy, et al don't have that we do. if we ever had institutions competing at that level they'd have the ability to recruit more of the best players. I believe many men & women want the hbcu experience but they also want to compete against the best, and the best players are in fbs. a well managed hbcu football program could have unlimited success recruiting players, coaches and on the field. that success would spur unprecedented success in university growth creating "america's hbcu" effect. but that's just what I think.

I hope and pray you are correct, but, smh, well, I don't know.

There is no money on the FCS level. The smaller FBS schools can make money playing "money games." During the football season, some of the lower FBS schools are getting over a million dollars playing "money games."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Would you all be opposed to a P5 school dropping to the SWAC. Obviously it would be a PWI. Would you care if a couple of PWIs move to join the Conference.
This weekend I witnessed UNA in the HBCU softball tournament.

Back