Former Mississippi State player reemerges as mother, student-athlete at Jackson State

Mace

Former Mississippi State player reemerges as mother, student-athlete at Jackson State
Rashad Milligan, Mississippi Clarion Ledger

JACKSON — On Nov. 16, 2017, as Mississippi State prepared for the second game of a Final Four season, Ameshya Williams decided she was done.
She was done playing for one of the top women’s basketball programs in the country. She was done with college. She was done with Starkville.
She didn’t give any notice to the coaching staff. She didn’t even take all of her belongings. She just drove home to Gulfport, ending her career at Mississippi State one game into her sophomore year.
The Bulldogs had a game against Georgia State the day she decided to pack up her car and go home.
"My roommate told me, 'Don't leave! Don't go,'" Williams said. "I told her, 'I'm ready to go.'"
At the time, head coach Vic Schaefer told the media that Williams left the team to deal with personal issues. Later that month, he announced that she had dropped out of school.
Two years after her abrupt departure from Mississippi State, Williams resurfaced on the college basketball scene in November as a single mother...

I met Ameysha when she was like 11. She was about 6'2 when i taught her 6th grade math. she was always a good athlete, but liked to learn from experience. You couldn't tell her and that would be it. I'm looking forward to catching up w/ her at a game later in the season.

Back