Former coach blows whistle on Cole

Blacknbengal

Former coach blows whistle on Cole

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

coach.jpg

Alabama State coach L.C. Cole watches his team during the Turkey Day Classic last November at the Crampton Bowl in Montgomery.
-- David Bundy, Advertiser

Allegations made by a former Alabama State assistant coach sparked a current investigation into the Hornets' football program, ASU Board of Trustee member Buford Crutcher confirmed late Tuesday night.

"From what I learned, this was an ex-coach making these allegations," said Crutcher, who said he didn't know the identity of the coach.

Last week, Alabama State president Joe Lee told the Montgomery Advertiser that a phone call from someone with information about the football program led him to form a committee to investigate the allegations.

On Tuesday, Julian McPhillips, an attorney representing ASU head football coach L.C. Cole, also confirmed that the phone call to Lee came from a former ASU football coach.

McPhillips also refused to name the coach, the time he coached at ASU or the position he coached. Repeated calls to Lee's office on Tuesday went unreturned.

Cole received a letter from athletic director Richard Cosby on Monday telling him not to start the team's spring practice, which was scheduled to begin that day.

However, Crutcher said he wasn't putting too much stock into the allegations.

"I think it has all been blown out of proportion a little," he said. "I understand that you have to look into things like that, but I don't know about doing all of this on the word of a former employee."

McPhillips said he was confident the charges would be answered to everyone's satisfaction.

"These charges are very superfluous," he said. "I think you'll see that we'll be able to provide answers to all these questions and everyone will be satisfied with the answers we give and all this will be put behind us."

According to comments by associate athletic director John Ivery a couple of weeks ago, the investigation committee is focusing on the playing of ineligible players and the misappropriation of funds by ASU football coaches.

Cole faced similar charges during his tenure at Tennessee State University.

The NCAA accused Cole of giving a player $250 in cash, which the player used for "incidental living expenses and entertainment purposes."

The NCAA later cleared Cole of all the charges.

"We had to submit a letter to (ASU officials) from the NCAA saying I had been cleared before I could be hired (at ASU)," Cole said. "We did that. All of that was cleared up."

Crutcher said he was certain that the misappropriation of funds charge was incorrect.

"I have a lot of respect for Coach Cole and the type of man he is," Crutcher said. "I just can't believe that he would have anything to do with the misappropriation of funds. That would just be totally out of order for the type of man Coach Cole is."

While the investigation continues, the ASU football team remains in limbo. The Hornets can't practice. They don't know what is next.

The decision isn't sitting well with them.

"It's crazy," said Keldrick Williams, who transferred to ASU from the University of Tennessee this winter. "We were all looking forward to spring practice. This is just uncalled for."

According to the Williams, the two reasons he transferred to ASU were the Hornet coaching staff and the chance to play with his high school teammate, Tarvaris Jackson, again. Jackson, a quarterback, also transferred to ASU this winter, leaving the University of Arkansas.

Williams said if Cole didn't remain the head coach at ASU another move might be a possibility.

"If he goes, me and Tarvaris may just have to transfer again," Williams said. "Coach Cole played a big part in us coming here. We're behind him 100 percent, as is the rest of the football team."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
There are a few arseholes at each Institution of Higher Learning...
...and they have been indentifed long ago.

But, it never ceases to amaze me on how they just keep breathing...
God is truly merciful.

:shame:

$250 is nothing

If you are going to have a good program, you are going to have to "buy" the kids and I don't mean with scholarships. Money talks, everyting else is nothing.

Usually, you can land a poor kid for as little as $1500 flash cash. Trust me: anything Cole is doing is being done 50xs over at the SEC schools. That's modern sports in which college is a shill for a mega-billion dollar industry.

LaMont

mh

like I said

Bigger....Fish.....Fry

Keep it up....them people from Indiana will be in town....believe me, you dont want that.

The Jim Harrick of the SWAC is at it again. This dumb ass just dont know when to stop. Whether he did it or not...and Im sure he did...the perception is that he is a cheat and he is guilty.

And to think....this idiot had the nerve to accuse Pine Bluff of the same thing after they waxed that booty.

Lamont and Slick

Its not everybody elses fault....its Coles fault, period.

:( :( :(

Re: $250 is nothing

Originally posted by LaMont
If you are going to have a good program, you are going to have to "buy" the kids and I don't mean with scholarships. Money talks, everyting else is nothing.

Usually, you can land a poor kid for as little as $1500 flash cash. Trust me: anything Cole is doing is being done 50xs over at the SEC schools. That's modern sports in which college is a shill for a mega-billion dollar industry.

LaMont

Wrong is Wrong. There's a lot of folks sleeping on concrete mattresses who followed that line of thinking. If giving cash is against the rules and you get caught, then you should be punished.

GR,
If you let go of the hate, jeaolousy, envy or whatever it is that is eating at you about Cole, then you would be all the wiser.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
GR,
If you let go of the hate, jeaolousy, envy or whatever it is that is eating at you about Cole, then you would be all the wiser.

Huh....is this the best you can do?
Still not answering the question huh?

Hey mh

Why are you not commenting on this topic like you were about Stogin getting fired? You have numerous post on that thread. Shouldnt you be more concerned about this? You know that if Coles leaves its back to last place, I mean back to uuuuh last place.....wait what am I trying to say?....yall will go back to......well, you know what I mean.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
TSK TSK, TSK.....YOU ALL NEED TO BE CLEANING UP AROUND YOUR DOOR INSTEAD OF WORRYING ABOUT US....WE'LL STILL BEAT YALL!!!

I guess the only question I have is why would you not let the football team not have Spring practice if nothing official against Cole has come out. Not have a Spring workout can have a huge impact come Fall.

Just crazy I tell ya.

Originally posted by Kool-Aid2K1

You'd rather finish last than lose to JSU?

I think the way they have NOT responded to this means, YES they would rather finish last then to lose to us...

smalltime :smh:

Back