For Brothers who like to Dress up and Stay Sharp in the 2020s

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
Okay, this post was sparked by a facebook group that I am in. It is actually a cool group where brothers share what they are working with in their wardrobe collection among other things (cologne, jackets, beard products, etc.) But check it, I saw a post where a brother said he burned his nephew's shoes because they were Stacy Adams. Then he stated that a good shoe needs to cost at least $300. Other brothers were agreeing with him.

That is when I said hold up, I am in the wrong group. Either it is that or I am way behind the times. My most recent utility bill is close to $300. I know of a lot of stock that I can buy for $300. I can think of other things I could do with $300. I started to tell them, my wife would do things to me for $300 that would prove I am the Husband of the year and a champ of all times if I gave her $300.

But I digress.....

Sheesh...now that I've gotten that out. So Stacy Adams are not the thing anymore? I mean, my son and his middle school teammates had to dress up one day in school before a game. I took him to K&G Men's Fashion store, hooked my lil man up with some Stacy Adams among other things and he came home bragging how much compliments he got. Yet some dudes say Stacy Adams ain't in anymore? Why?

So someone school me? Or has Metro Male Fashion become the thing? Has the Skinny Jeans Generation won? @The Founder get in here. School me please.

Now when it all comes down to it, if I am indeed behind the times and my style is that of an old school player or an OG, so be it. All I need in this life is me and my grill anyway...snickering

Seriously and for the record, I love to dress up from time to time. It is not a priority. I stress it to the youngsters that I mentor. I guess I was caught off guard with how much others stated they are willing to invest in their wardrobe as well as what is not fashionable. One could say the same thing about other hobbies such as guns, music, or cigar. So if you got the money to invest in some $300 shoes and that is what you do much respect.

Last edited:
you ARE in the right group fam. I give you the words of the great, Carter G Woodson, who was shocked to see the extremely poor condition of Black folk in Alabama after slavery, “Start from where you are and go from there”. Pay your light bill, eat that chicken box, smoke that blunt, buy some shoes that look good TO YOU...and save the rest. You got this!
Interesting statement another brother shared with me.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I've got bad news for you.

I last bought a pair of Stacy Adams shoes about twenty-five years ago. A group of Nupes clowned me relentlessly. And they were right. They were hard, patent leather, and had a high glossy shine to them. Looked like somebody had rubbed Vaseline on them. I had no idea what I was thinking when I bought them.

Needless to say, I haven't had a pair since.

I've been working on minimizing everything in my life lately. All material goods, etc. Simplifying my life. Used to have enough suits to wear a different one every day for a month and not wear the same one twice. And the shoes to match. Now, just a handful.

The few pairs of dress shoes I have? I might have bought some on sale, but the original price of each pair was at least $300. At least. Some much more.
Funny, I am not a Greek but I just had a business lunch with some Nupes. Their chapter had been investing in a charitable cause that I am a part of. I was so focused on our agenda that it never occurred to me to check and see if they were wearing $300 shoes. Both of them had on a suit and a fly watch but I felt the watch and suit I had on was quite on point. The ladies in this meeting seemed like they just enjoyed being in the company of Intelligent Black Men and talking business.

That brings men to another observation. I have noticed and even heard women say that the first thing that they look at with a man is his shoes. I've heard them say it tells a lot about us. What you say @96lioness ? I'd love to hear a woman's perspective on this.

A few years ago I saw Big Daddy Kane in and Advertisement for B. Walker Shoes. Them joints are fly for real. They ran about $225. Probably much more now. I would say to myself, when I have money to blow, I will get me a pair. The problem is, I've plenty of chances to get them but again, I'd rather buy other things and take care of other needs before I splurge it on something like that. What I am being reminded of today is that there are many other brothers that would be willing the chunk out that kind of shoe change with no problem. I get it now. Just not me. I agree with you @jag4life

Last edited:
I'm a sneaker head so I have a nice amount of Jordans in my shoe collection that range from $190 to $225. I'm also into Ralph Lauren branded clothing so you will see me drop a pretty penny on that as well. From what I've seen, everybody splurges on something that the next person might find to be outrageous whether it be clothes/shoes, fancy dinners, trips and/or electronics. If you have the funds, go ahead and buy what you like.

I've got bad news for you.

I last bought a pair of Stacy Adams shoes about twenty-five years ago. A group of Nupes clowned me relentlessly. And they were right. They were hard, patent leather, and had a high glossy shine to them. Looked like somebody had rubbed Vaseline on them. I had no idea what I was thinking when I bought them.

Needless to say, I haven't had a pair since.

I've been working on minimizing everything in my life lately. All material goods, etc. Simplifying my life. Used to have enough suits to wear a different one every day for a month and not wear the same one twice. And the shoes to match. Now, just a handful.

The few pairs of dress shoes I have? I might have bought some on sale, but the original price of each pair was at least $300. At least. Some much more.

We spend money on what we value. It's interesting that sneakerheads can have a collection of 10 - 20 pairs of sneakers he paid $200 a pair for and no one blinks an eye. But a man that has 6 - 8 pairs of dress shoes that he paid $300 a pair for is outrageous. I've never owned a pair of Jordans, Yeezys or anything like that. Never will. On the other hand, dress shoes ... quality dress shoes ... I can appreciate. It's a simple matter of values and priorities.
It wasn't that you were wearing S..A.'s. It was the S.A.'s that you picked. Don't blame the brand for your poor choice. lol

I think the issue is that your guys look down on what they consider to be a lesser person based on their shoes. Sneak heads don't do that because they know everyone isn't into it.

People do spend based on personal priorities.
You can find really nice dress shoes for well under $300. Personally, I would never spend more than $50-$60 for a pair or sneakers. But I have dropped over 2k on a pair of cowboy boots and hat.

And we want reparations so we can give it back with interest. Makes a lot of sense to me. Now I understand why so many of us must work 24/7/365 to survive. Zero knowledge of self-sufficient. Spike Lee tried to point this out in his movie 'School Daze' with his Brooks Brother suit part. And what gets me, we'll live in some overpriced one bedroom expensive apartment with that same level of fashionable taste. We are some logical people economically. And what's even sadder, we brag about what we purchased from others without any economic return value.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNvb4-aa1vY

Last edited:
And we want reparations so we can give it back with interest. Makes a lot of sense to me. Now I understand why so many of us must work 24/7/365 to survive. Zero knowledge of self-sufficient. Spike Lee tried to point this out in his movie 'School Daze' with his Brooks Brother suit part. And what gets me, we'll live in some overpriced one bedroom expensive apartment with that same level of fashionable taste. We are some logical people economically. And what's even sadder, we brag about what we purchased from others without any economic return value.

Are you sure you want to open that door? LOL!! LOL!!

Are you sure you want to open that door? LOL!! LOL!!

That door has been opened a long time ago. We were made to believe spending and giving all our hard earned money to others made us important people. A lot of the Civil Rights Movement were based on where can we spend our monies, which is why Black churches play such an important role in keeping Black people believing in that philosophy. I can give a damn about buying from others, but when it comes to economic self-sufficient that is true Civil Rights. It's not so hard to see why individuals like Odell Beckham, Jr. are truly ignorant. I'm sure he had to coughed up a lot of cash to put an end to his butt slapping saga. Most of us can't do basic home and auto repairs, but we have degrees to make money in order to spend thousands to others for simple inexpensive jobs we are clueless about, which explains why Black people attack each other so much. We all want to be the HNIC with fashionable taste that is very expensive, which is similar to drug dealers and there antics. I've watched family members tear up stuff and demanded their parents replace whatever they torn up. It's super crazy when you see this mentality of one who supposedly has a degree to figure out stuff on their own. I guess it is their way of saying to other Black folks that they have their stuff together. The crazy thing, most Black parents enable this crazy behavior in their children. Until we demand our children to become more responsible individuals (at least for self), the Black community will always be in a degenerating/declining state. It's not hard to see driving through the old hood. CRAZY!!!

Last edited:
No group values clothes and fashion more than black people. It's good and bad. And since we're talking about black men, I've seen more well dressed black men than any other group of men. I went to a PWI for graduate school ... it was not uncommon to see a fly brotha on campus but it was very rare to see non-black men dress well. 99% of white guys (especially straight) put no effort into their wardrobe the overwhelming majority of the time.

And I'm sure I don't need to go into details of how materialism is bad for us but I will say I find it interesting the lowest income race (black people) tend to be the most obsessed with expensive clothes.

No group values clothes and fashion more than black people. It's good and bad. And since we're talking about black men, I've seen more well dressed black men than any other group of men. I went to a PWI for graduate school ... it was not uncommon to see a fly brotha on campus but it was very rare to see non-black men dress well. 99% of white guys (especially straight) put no effort into their wardrobe the overwhelming majority of the time.

And I'm sure I don't need to go into details of how materialism is bad for us but I will say I find it interesting the lowest income race (black people) tend to be the most obsessed with expensive clothes.
That's a good observation and something I've never given thought to. @tsugraytiger Do you think the struggle made us that way? Meaning, in order for doors to be broken down, not only did we learn to be twice as better than the next man when getting opportunities that are hard to obtain but we've taken heed to dressing to succeed because it was to our advantage to do so? <--anything we can do to get an edge if it is corporate avenues we choose...

I only wear Cole Hann, Chaps and Johnston & Murphy shoes. I purchase the new or slightly worn shoes in pristine condition from E-bay at rock bottom prices or during close-out sales, elsewhere. I don't purchase expensive tennis shoes, I only purchase Reeboks. I'm frugal, not materialistic. That's why I always can keep a little "ka-ching" in my pockets. ;)

Last edited:
Mexicans are the same way. They buy out all the Burlington coat factory and Other type discount places too. They love clothes and flash too.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
That's a good observation and something I've never given thought to. @tsugraytiger Do you think the struggle made us that way? Meaning, in order for doors to be broken down, not only did we learn to be twice as better than the next man when getting opportunities that are hard to obtain but we've taken heed to dressing to succeed because it was to our advantage to do so? <--anything we can do to get an edge if it is corporate avenues we choose...

Absolutely, white supremacy has led to our obsession with our appearance. For example, my grandmother said that whenever her and her mom would go to the city around white folk ... they always put on their best clothes in hopes of being treated with more dignity and respect. It rarely worked but it was an admirable attempt to reinstate our humanity in a society that didn't see us as human ... nice clothes and fashion taste was the easiest way to publicly express how we were worthy of fair treatment and respect. That has parlayed to fashion and designer clothes being a huge staple in the black community.

I mean even today ... anytime I see someone well dressed ... my first thought of that person is usually a positive one and not a negative one.

White people always had the privilage to be treated with respect and humanity so their outward appearance mattered little generally speaking

Last edited:
Mexicans are the same way. They buy out all the Burlington coat factory and Other type discount places too. They love clothes and flash too.

Mexicans need clothes just like everybody else and as someone that lived in Texas ... Mexicans are no where near as flashy and great dressers like the black community are. I mentored at a high school in the Dallas area at a heavily black/mexican school. Overally, the black young men were so sharp for a school dance I chaperoned ... most of the mexican young men there had ill fitting clothes and were just not impressive. There are so many obvious ways fashion takes a stronger precedence with us than other groups of people ... it's most evident amongst the men. Just about all women love fashion.

The ones who have been in this country for a while act just like black people. Yes the ones who come across the boarder still are struggling, but once they been here for a few years they act just like the same blacks who love clothes you mentioned.

Mexicans need clothes just like everybody else and as someone that lived in Texas ... Mexicans are no where near as flashy and great dressers like the black community are. I mentored at a high school in the Dallas area at a heavily black/mexican school. Overally, the black young men were so sharp for a school dance I chaperoned ... most of the mexican young men there had ill fitting clothes and were just not impressive. There are so many obvious ways fashion takes a stronger precedence with us than other groups of people ... it's most evident amongst the men. Just about all women love fashion.

I have relatives, well, er, never mind. I won't get started on that. :mad:

I've seen black folks blow their whole checks on Gucci belts, Jordans, and other stupid designer shit they don't need. Wanna talk about bad financial decisions and poor mental health .... they do so to feel good about themselves but they going by it the wrong way

Personally I like to dress up time to time myself. Now I don't buy the Brook's brother suits at all. Way out of my league, one thing I like about my new job is you gotta step your game up because all though there is no dress code per say there is one. Yes the brothers be on it I give them that, but some of the white guys be on point also.

Personally I like to dress up time to time myself. Now I don't buy the Brook's brother suits at all. Way out of my league, one thing I like about my new job is you gotta step your game up because all though there is no dress code per say there is one. Yes the brothers be on it I give them that, but some of the white guys be on point also.

I like Brooks Brothers because they're an investment, but unless you're in a corporate board room or defending a client in a courtroom, it's a little overkill.

Back