Fed steps in to stem credit turmoil

Blacknbengal

Fed steps in to stem credit turmoil

Central bank says it providing liquidity to bolster financial markets

WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve, trying to calm financial turmoil on Wall Street, announced Friday that it will pump as much money as needed into the U.S. financial system to help overcome the ill effects of a spreading credit crunch.

The Fed, in a short statement, said it will provide ?reserves as necessary? to help the markets safely make their way. The central bank did not provide details but said it would do all it can to ?facilitate the orderly functioning of financial markets.?

Financial markets in the United States and around the globe have been shaken by fears about spreading credit problems that started with home mortgages to those with tarnished credit histories. Investors are worried that these problems will infect the larger financial system and possibly hurt the U.S. economy.

The Fed?s action didn?t appear to ease investors? worries Friday, with the markets dropping sharply again in early trading.

The current financial turmoil provides the biggest test yet to Federal Chairman Ben Bernanke, who took the helm last year.

The Fed?s action comes one day after a financial panic about a credit crunch swept through Europe. That prompted the Europeans to pump $130 billion into their financial system. The Fed moved Thursday to add an extra $24 billion in temporary reserves to the U.S. banking system. But that wasn?t enough to comfort Wall Street, which suffered its second-worst decline of the year Thursday.

The Fed chose not to cut a key interest rate, called the federal funds rate, to address the problem. That interest rate still stands at 5.25 percent. The funds rate is interest banks charge each other on overnight loans and is the Fed?s main lever to influence economic activity.

Instead, the Fed is seeking to provide reassurance to investors that the central bank will plow extra money into the U.S. financial system to make sure the credit crunch doesn?t worsen.

On Friday, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which carries out the central bank?s market operation, moved to add $19 billion in temporary reserves.

Rest of Story

They really need to do something, cause this is getting utterly ridiculous. Depression, here we come.

I thought outsourcing was a gool thing, that created jobs...lol..

Just did a search on the word OUTSOURCING, didn't find it anywhere in that article. LOL!!

The current meltdown in the housing and mortgage markets has caused new home foreclosures to climb to record highs and has forced some lenders out of business. Problems first sprouted in the market for higher-risk or ?subprime? mortgages, which are held by people with poor credit or low incomes. But some problems have spilled over to more creditworthy borrowers. That has led to tighter lending standards, making credit harder to get for people and businesses.

This is what is causing all the problems. People got in over their heads. In the early 1990s, a college graduate would be VERY FORTUNATE to get a job paying in the high $20s, now that same job could start out as much as $60K or $70K. That is not realistic. This is know as SHAKE OUT. Corporate America has found that overseas, they can pay $20K for that same job to be fulfilled. Those who borrowed money on that $60K salary, and now they lost their job and can't afford that lifestyle on a $30K salary, are forced to FORECLOSE (credit worthy borrowers).

That is why I recommended to get a mortgage that is less than 20% of your income, that way you can get a job less than half your current pay if something unfortunate happens. My mortgage is about 15% of my family income, if we had to take jobs HALF our current pay, then we could still afford the mortgage, which would be 30% of our income.

Just did a search on the word OUTSOURCING, didn't find it anywhere in that article. LOL!!

yeah but it did say

"The free flow of credit is important to the smooth functioning of the national economy."

"The current meltdown in the housing and mortgage markets has caused new home foreclosures to climb to record highs"

why all the forclosures?

loss of jobs and mortages increases

You favor ARMs and Outsourcing :shame:

Do you even put anything in the collection plate at church???

This is what is causing all the problems. People got in over their heads. In the early 1990s, a college graduate would be VERY FORTUNATE to get a job paying in the high $20s, now that same job could start out as much as $60K or $70K. That is not realistic. This is know as SHAKE OUT. Corporate America has found that overseas, they can pay $20K for that same job to be fulfilled. Those who borrowed money on that $60K salary, and now they lost their job and can't afford that lifestyle on a $30K salary, are forced to FORECLOSE (credit worthy borrowers).

That is why I recommended to get a mortgage that is less than 20% of your income, that way you can get a job less than half your current pay if something unfortunate happens. My mortgage is about 15% of my family income, if we had to take jobs HALF our current pay, then we could still afford the mortgage, which would be 30% of our income.

This is all well and good for you , but what about those that didn't go to college, or
do not have the academic prowess to even be successful in college. If you
get rid of all the jobs that person can do. He's breaking in your house
no matter where you live.

yeah but it did say

"The free flow of credit is important to the smooth functioning of the national economy."

"The current meltdown in the housing and mortgage markets has caused new home foreclosures to climb to record highs"

why all the forclosures?

loss of jobs and mortages increases

You favor ARMs and Outsourcing :shame:

Do you even put anything in the collection plate at church???

I'm for Outsourcing because it is how I make a living. I work for a major Airline Carrier who has OUTSOURCE all of their IT work to my company. My company has contracts with several HUNDRED companies worldwide to handle their IT work. My services can be leverage WORLDWIDE. Outsourcing is TO MY ADVANTAGE! Today, my client can be American Airlines, tomorrow it can be General Motors. Regardless, I sit at the same desk in Fort Worth, TX.

You favor Fixed Rates and Dead End Jobs :SHAME:

This is all well and good for you , but what about those that didn't go to college, or
do not have the academic prowess to even be successful in college. If you
get rid of all the jobs that person can do. He's breaking in your house
no matter where you live.

FOR ME?

Its people like you that DOWN people like me who gives advice so that when unfortunate things happen, they have something to fall back on.

How many times have you made fun of me suggestion ARMs? When in fact, the years the rate is LOW, a person can SAVE that money for when his job is OUTSOURCED to pay his mortgage.

I take it on the chin because I simply look at it as lack of knowledge on your part, not IGNORANCE. I believe that one can only be IGNORANT when they have KNOWLEDGE, but chose to make the wrong decision anyway. You simple don't have the knowledge.

Again, this is whats know as SHAKE OUT. The mortgage trend is getting back to its OLD SELF of making sure its borrowers are CREDIT WORTHY. In the 80s, you had to have 20% down payment to buy a house. It is very easy to walk away from a house when all you put down was $500.

So you don't give anything to the church??

Did you read my post on Knowledge vs Ignorance? You don't KNOW if I give anything to the church, therefore you don't sound IGNORANT. If you KNEW and still asked me this question, then your question or you would be IGNORANT.

Knowledge is POWER.

Back