FAMU Football Gets Its Money

5thGear

FAMU football gets its money

Trips for recruiting, search for defensive coordinator back on

By Randy Beard

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Good news really does travel fast.

The first thing Florida A&M football coach Billy Joe did after getting off the telephone with athletic director Joseph Ramsey II Thursday morning was to tell his assistant coaches to hit the road.

"I told them to get their itineraries together because we can go recruiting again," said Joe. "They can go to Miami. They can go out of state now. As a matter of fact, they are all gone on the road now."

Joe also received permission to start lining up candidates for his vacant defensive coordinator job.

The news brought to a close a divisive couple of days in the FAMU athletic department. Ramsey had told Joe during a Monday morning meeting that the football program's $100,000 recruiting budget - guaranteed in Joe's contract - had been frozen.

However, Ramsey said he told Joe the money was only on hold until after he met with Larry Reese, FAMU's vice president for administrative and financial services, to address the athletic department's revenue shortfalls. Joe said he was told there would be no money available for the football staff to do any recruiting. He said there was never any mention of it being a temporary freeze of the budget.

But bottom line, the money is now there.

"(Ramsey) said that we do have recruiting money. I asked him if it was $100,000, and he said I had what was in my contract," said Joe. "That's all I wanted to hear."

The athletic department still has some tough choices to make, but Ramsey said the football budget was intact.

"Even though our financial situation looks pretty bleak ... we are going to try to keep football intact," said Ramsey. "Football is our money-maker when everything goes well, so you really don't want to tamper with it too much."

Ramsey said that the athletic department budget, which had a $700,000 shortfall last year, took another hit when the school rescinded its plan to move to NCAA Division I-A. He said that when FAMU announced it was returning to I-AA status, that Illinois, Tulane, Temple and Virginia Tech each cut their revenue guarantees in half. Attendance at the games also failed to kick in a revenue-sharing agreement.

"We knew we were off in our projections by about $400,000 after the Tulane and Temple games," said Ramsey. "All the I-A schools cut their guarantees by half. The only one that didn't was FIU (Florida International)."

As for the defensive coordinator position, Joe said he has at least three candidates in mind that he wants to contact. The expected salary for the position will be in the $72-75,000 range.

The FAMU alumni put a foot into the AD's and other Administrator's azzes!! :bowdown:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The damage has been done. Now every coach in the MEAC can point to another episode of "the FAMU Amos and Andy Show" and say to high school kids, "Son, those d@mn fools don't know that they are doing...hail you don't even know who will be their coach next year?why in the heck would you want to join that c**n show down in tally??

This is what happens when you have incompetent people running a program. Instead of getting rid of the coach quietly ? they help other meac schools in recruiting by making a fool out of the rattler AD. Good job!

But there is a bright side to all of this - the rattler program should be crippled for a good 5 years thanks to all do the dumb mess they have done over the last 2 years. And that means five years of guarantied wins over one florida school for a particular bison program.

I agree with some of what you said, but it's wishful thinking to think the bisons will beat FAMU the next 5 years. FAMU will bring a pretty good team into the MEAC next year.

Back