Engram takes over Hornets' offense

Blacknbengal

Engram takes over Hornets' offense

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

For the last three seasons, the quarterback position has been at the very bottom of the Alabama State football coaches' list of concerns.

With Tarvaris Jackson on the roster, there was no question who would be starting or what to expect.

That's all changed now.

Jackson's eligibility expired at the end of last season. With no experienced quarterback on the roster, the ASU coaches were left scrambling for a viable replacement.

Enter Alex Engram.

Engram, who lost a battle for the starting job last season at Western Michigan University, transferred to ASU after the fall semester. He immediately became the coaches' best option for replacing Jackson.

"We're probably not going to name anyone the starter coming out of spring, but I'd say he'll be the likely starter," ASU head coach Charlie Coe said. "These other guys we have are so young and just don't have the experience Engram does. You can see it in the way he carries himself on the field and with the way he controls the team when he's on the field."

Being unofficially named the starter doesn't mean much to Engram.

He knows there's still a long way to go and a lot of work to be done before he's ready to lead the Hornets.

"I haven't been here that long, so I'm still trying to get everything down," Engram said. "A lot of this is about timing and things. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on the offense. There are still some things I need to do, but I think I've made good progress."

There are a few reasons for Engram's quick climb to the top of the depth chart.

First, he's got the best arm of the three quarterbacks on ASU's roster.

Redshirt freshman Jason Bruce, who signed last year out of St. Jude, seemed to have a lot of potential during his first few weeks on campus. He picked up the offense fairly quickly and worked harder than almost everyone else at each practice. But his arm strength, which was a big question when he signed, hasn't improved as much as the coaches would like.

The same goes for former Central Christian (Selma) quarterback T'Chelpio Woods. Woods' arm strength is a big problem. He also struggles with his mechanics from time to time and doesn't know the offense as well as Bruce.

Read Story

Redshirt freshman Jason Bruce, who signed last year out of St. Jude, seemed to have a lot of potential during his first few weeks on campus. He picked up the offense fairly quickly and worked harder than almost everyone else at each practice. But his arm strength, which was a big question when he signed, hasn't improved as much as the coaches would like.

The same goes for former Central Christian (Selma) quarterback T'Chelpio Woods. Woods' arm strength is a big problem. He also struggles with his mechanics from time to time and doesn't know the offense as well as Bruce.

Better hope that Engram (your officially name starter) doesnt go down early in the season.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back