Editoral in the Advocate 3/12/2005

Jax

Chief Trolling offICEr
Fraternity's expulsion was the right move

By DONALD LEE
djlee@theadvocate.com
Advocate columnist

The age-old phrase "blood is thicker than water" is often quoted when there's a conflict that is resolved on the basis of kinship instead of ideology or principle.
For instance, someone might say, "No matter the circumstance, whether we're right or wrong, we stick together because we're family. Blood is thicker than water."

As for me, I've got five brothers and a sister. And yes, we are family, and yes, we Lees do stick together -- but that "sticking together" is contingent on being right, fair, just and lawful.

Family members should not blindly follow one another, but should provide wise counsel and leadership.

Earlene Lee, my dear mother, used to tell us all the time, "My daddy used to tell us, 'You better listen to me. If you don't listen to me, you're gonna listen to them folks downtown.' "

Y'all know who "them folks downtown" are, huh?

In other words, if you don't hearken unto the voice of wisdom and start making sound decisions, someone else will take on that responsibility for you -- and by that time, you will have forfeited your choice in the matter. And that someone else is not going to be as lenient with you as you are with you.

On that note, I applaud Southern University Dean of Student Life Robert Bennett, for his recent expulsion of the Beta Sigma Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., from the university's Baton Rouge campus. And kudos to Raymond A. Downs, vice chancellor for student affairs, for rejecting the chapter's appeal.

Read the story

That's tough for the Beta Sig Que's, but that is the risk our respective orgs/ chapters take when they engage in these activities. A lot of pledges don't realize that by doing this, they have more at stake than the students who subject themselves to them. Considering the evidence and facts, they were lucky to get off with 3 years. Hearsay alone got the Kappas at JSU expelled until 2010, but I think that is being appealed.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I agree Jax. I wonder if our brothers and sisters in Greekdom will ever realize that hazing is not necessary.

Back