Do really have plans for when you retire?

CEE DOG

I was talking with one of my older partners who I hang out with about this. I remember 18 years ago when I started working with him he was gong ho about retiring. he was in his 40's then. Well now the time has come and he was like man I ain't got nothing to do. I might pick up a part time gig to stay busy. Made me start thinking. My time will be here in 18 years too. I better get ready. That time comes by quick. :lol:

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
Somewhat. I probably will retire in my mid 60's, but I've seen people retire and die. I think working keeps your mind sharp. I do plan to continue to work for myself though with less stress.

I saw the article on Atlanta and the money the pimps are making. heck I might move back and get in the business. :lol:

Buy one of these bad boys(in black and old gold) and drive cross country making sure I tailgate at the SU games and a couple of Steelers games.

extreme-rvs-203-ss-001_596x334.jpg

Last edited:
I have no intention of retiring. I hope to always be doing something even if it is only managing my investments.

I use to want to work until I die, don't wanna do that anymore.
I want to experience waking up without having to be somewhere, demands on my time etc etc
I know too many people who retired and died less than a year later.

dude next door to me retired awhile back and said he was going to get a job up at Home Depot just to have something to do, he was so bored everyday.

I don't understand this getting bored stuff.
I could never get bored being with me.
I think if you're bored it's because you're boring.

Buy one of these bad boys(in black and old gold) and drive cross country making sure I tailgate at the SU games and a couple of Steelers games.

extreme-rvs-203-ss-001_596x334.jpg

That's what I had in mind, too. Wife ain't feelin' it. :lol:

Between my presumed grandkids, church, the fraternity and other local org's I deal with, I think I'd be okay with retiring. The people who have the hardest time retiring are those who let their job/ title define them. My job doesn't define me. I love what I do, and I don't even consider it work, but at the end of the day, it's just a means to provide for my family. I think I'll be ready to call it quits between 62 and 65. That's 30 years out (ufck).

I don't want to work full-time. Just collect consulting fees, manage my investment portfolio and travel the world.

I'm retired and definitely not bored. No alarm clocks!

My mother taught school for 36 years and she has been retired for 15. Most retired teachers like my father will go sub or take a temporary appointment for a half year, but my mother has not done any of that. She has been content with only leaving the house maybe 2 or 3 times out of the week. In fact, I have to wait about 10 in the morning to even call her. :lol:

As for me, at 51 I think about retiring almost every day. I plan on retiring at age 70 only because I don’t think I will be effective doing my job past that age. I’ve worked with a lot of people who were basically too old to be working but couldn’t afford to retire. I don’t want to be that person.

Last edited:

Between my presumed grandkids, church, the fraternity and other local org's I deal with, I think I'd be okay with retiring. The people who have the hardest time retiring are those who let their job/ title define them. My job doesn't define me. I love what I do, and I don't even consider it work, but at the end of the day, it's just a means to provide for my family. I think I'll be ready to call it quits between 62 and 65. That's 30 years out (ufck).

Same here, wife hated it. :lol:

My mother taught school for 36 years and she has been retired for 15. Most retired teachers like my father will go sub or take a temporary appointment for a half year, but my mother has not done any of that. She has been content with only leaving the house maybe 2 or 3 times out of the week. In fact, I have to wait about 10 in the morning to even call her. :lol:

As for me, at 51 I think about retiring almost every day. I plan on retiring at age 70 only because I don’t think I will be effective doing my job past that age. I’ve worked with a lot of people who were basically too old to be working but couldn’t afford to retire. I don’t want to be that person.

I think your mom is having a great retirement. :tup:

now why are you gonna go all the way to 70?

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required

My wife and I retired at age 59. We do what we want. Travel, read, walk, church, volunteer, attend concerts and sporting events. The only thing we schedule in the AM are doctor appointments. The good lord has blessed us and I thank him everyday.

We seniors need to know when to give it up and let the youngsters make their way.

I also want to hit the speaking circuit when I retire. Here in DC, there are always retired military personnel or economist speaking at different luncheons and breakfast meetings.

I use to want to work until I die, don't wanna do that anymore.
I want to experience waking up without having to be somewhere, demands on my time etc etc
I know too many people who retired and died less than a year later.

The key is "exercising" and staying active.

06! You pretty much said the same thing one of our frat brothers said last night when he and a couple of other Beta Lambda bros came through on their college tour.

Last edited:
Back