Do college football coaches now prefer ‘quick-fix’ transfers over HS recruits?

He
I think it was Jacksonville St University a few years ago when they beat I can't remember was it a SEC or ACC team and took a few others to the wire had like 30 or 40 FBS transfers.

Hell, The Cole Brothers are notorious for using transfers. Hell, they are good for a quick fix. But, when the players eligibility is exhausted. You are screwed.

I think it more has to do with the transfer portal than anything else. A lot of these players can go into the portal and transfer to a new school for the spring semester over waiting after the spring. Also the early signing period has been a success for those juco players over the high school guys. Now if the new propose rule about being able to transfer without sitting out a season will be a big advantage for the FBS schools since these players would be able to play immediately.

I think it was Jacksonville St University a few years ago when they beat I can't remember was it a SEC or ACC team and took a few others to the wire had like 30 or 40 FBS transfers.

They beat Ole Miss

Teams like that, JMU or even A&T are not like NDSU who rarely take transfers and develop their own talent

I think SWAC schools at this point almost have to go the JUCO/transfer route to be able to go out of conference and compete/win. Even Valley has brought in more transfers over the past couple of years (just landed another former 3 star USF transfer)

I think it more has to do with the transfer portal than anything else. A lot of these players can go into the portal and transfer to a new school for the spring semester over waiting after the spring. Also the early signing period has been a success for those juco players over the high school guys. Now if the new propose rule about being able to transfer without sitting out a season will be a big advantage for the FBS schools since these players would be able to play immediately.
:confused:

They beat Ole Miss and took Florida State to the wire in Bowden’s final season as HC. I believe JxSU had a transfer QB from LSU starting against the Noles that night.

It makes sense in every sport for FBS schools that can do it well to do so. There is no way for everyone to do it. If Texas Southern Basketball can get top 50 Juco basketball player every year and one top 100 power 5 transfer they will stay on top of the swac.

Why would Les Miles care if Perriloux transferred to Southern? Not allowing Perriloux to transfer to another SEC school, well I can kind of understand that. But, well anyway.........
Back in that time LSU coaches (started with Saban) steered transfers away from SU and most other Louisiana schools. This isn't the first time this has been discussed.

Last edited:

Back