Did Ike Turner become the villain?

buckwheat1911

On yesterday we lost a legend Tina Turner. I keep hearing the news anchors and talking heads bring up Ike and how he abused Tina. Seems like black men are portrayed as abusers in the media. Jim Brown even got a bad rap as an abuser.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
On yesterday we lost of legend Tina Turner. I keep hearing the news anchors and talking heads bring up Ike and how he abused Tina. Seems like black men are portrayed as abusers in the media. Jim Brown even got a bad rap as an abuser.
In her documentary Tina described Ike as a broken man. That's sort of vague, but it also says a lot that she didn't say much more than that

On yesterday we lost of legend Tina Turner. I keep hearing the news anchors and talking heads bring up Ike and how he abused Tina. Seems like black men are portrayed as abusers in the media. Jim Brown even got a bad rap as an abuser.

While what they were saying is true, I agree with you the narrative could have been better and the negative aspect was not necessary. However in this cancel culture that we’re living in, I wasn’t surprised. The me too folks would have blown back on the narrative if it wasn’t included.

Good topic @buckwheat1911 ...My short answer is Yes...

But I got to say this. At first like others, stories I would read and hear about along with the movie when it was first released no doubt gave me a bad image of Ike in my mind.

...Then as I began to really explore his music, I started to recognize what he had done talent wise and how impactful his contributions were to the art. That's when I started looking at him in different light. Yes he had some serious flaws as we all do to some extent no matter how good we try to be. No those flaws should not be overlooked. We can continue to use them as lessons on what not to do in a relationship. Especially when we research and learn of his own past, abuses, and tragedies that were something pretty serious well before he himself became an adult. It is no doubt why he had the demons that he had. Still, If I had not looked beyond his issues, I would have probably never discovered what an amazing musician that he really was cause man, he was the truth. --> Rocket 88 - Wikipedia

#mytwocents

Last edited:
Good topic @buckwheat1911 ...My short answer is Yes...

But I got to say this. At first like others, stories I would read and hear about along with the movie when it was first released no doubt gave me a bad image of Ike in my mind.

...Then as I began to really explore his music, I started to recognize what he had done talent wise and how impactful his contributions were to the art. That's when I started looking at him in different light. Yes he had some serious flaws as we all do to some extent no matter how good we try to be. No those flaws should not be overlooked. We can continue to use them as lessons on what not to do in a relationship. Especially when we research and learn of his own past, abuses, and tragedies that were something pretty serious well before he himself became an adult. It is no doubt why he had the demons that he had. Still, If I had not looked beyond his issues, I would have probably never discovered what an amazing musician that he really was cause man, he was the truth. --> Rocket 88 - Wikipedia

#mytwocents
And you just explained why cancel culture has never really existed.

Ike was a serious woman beater. He beat Tina so bad she ran from the USA. Although he was a heck of a musician he was a sick twisted man and how he beat that woman was beyond sick. Unfortunately most great musicians and comedians have a dark side. They find an outlet in music and comedy, but usually drugs and alcohol controls their minds and body when not on stage.

Ike was a serious woman beater. He beat Tina so bad she ran from the USA. Although he was a heck of a musician he was a sick twisted man and how he beat that woman was beyond sick. Unfortunately most great musicians and comedians have a dark side. They find an outlet in music and comedy, but usually drugs and alcohol controls their minds and body when not on stage.

IMHO, that is so well known until the media didn’t need to remind everyone. However realistically, even in her death, there are those that will never disassociate the two. Ike has been “cancelled “ a long time ago and will never be allowed to get out of that grave….LOL. I agree with what you’re saying about the dark side and great side as well.

On yesterday we lost a legend Tina Turner. I keep hearing the news anchors and talking heads bring up Ike and how he abused Tina. Seems like black men are portrayed as abusers in the media. Jim Brown even got a bad rap as an abuser.
If you get your arse beat by a woman or a man, we will ask you if that person is the villain. Your answer will be interesting.

Back