Dave Wannstedt

GramFan

I'm sitting here watching CSTV and Pittsburgh Panther head coach Dave Wannstedt is on there during his weekly press conference. Below his name I see that his team lost to Ohio University 16-10 in overtime this past Saturday. I was shocked to see that as I somehow missed that this past weekend.

Wannstedt is no head coach. First he failed with the Chicago Bears and then did the same thing with the Miami Dolphins. Now he is at the University of Pittsburgh with an 0-2 record after losing to Notre Dame (in a blowout) and the Mighty Ohio Bobcats. All of this with Pittsburgh returning 16 starters this year, 9 on offense and 7 on defense. Pittsburgh hasn't had a losing season since 1999. This might be the year where things change. But hey, that's how it is when you recycle.

Oh, by the way, this Saturday he's gonna bring his Panthers to take on Nebraska, led by Bill "I screwed the Raiders up" Callahan.

GramFan, I never like Wannstedt as a coach, but losing to Ohio on the road is not that shocking. Those MAC schools have been putting in work lately, and they shouldn't be taken lightly. Ask Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas State, and Alabama.

Also Ohio is coached by former Nebraska coach Frank Stolich, and the way Notre Dame dominated Michigan in "The Big House" (the game wasn't as close as the score indicated), his lost to them doesn't look that bad right now.

He might be primed for a win against Nebraska (beating them now won't be considered an upset), especially seeing the way they struggled to be DII Maine 2 weeks ago.

NICE

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If Pittsburgh was only returning 5 starters on offense and 5 on defense I would agree that it wasn't a shock. But this team returned 16 starters (9 offensive players and 7 defensive players). Not only that, but Ohio is not a MAC power like Marshall (now CUSA), Miami of Ohio, Bowling Green, or Northern Illinois. And granted, while Notre Dame did beat Michigan, they slaughtered Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh scored late to make it look decent but in the middle of the second quarter it was 35-10. There is no way a team returns that many players and ends up getting flattened like that.

And youre right about Nebraska struggling against Maine (by the way, Maine is 1-AA and not D-II). They struggled against Wake Forest as well. That 31-3 score is very misleading. They only scored one offensive touchdown in that game. They led in the first half 14-0 off of an interception return for a TD and a fumble return for a touchdown and finished off scoring in the 4th quarter on an interception return for a TD.

Dave Wannstedt is so awful of a coach; that he would make the Patriots non Super Bowl contenders and USC the worst College Football team in America.

But it is the American way. White coach can be awful and get chance after chance while the African-American Coach cannot even get an interview.

Wannstedt should not be able to even coach a Pee Wee Team.

SOG, and GF, y'all know what the hell I meant. :smash:

GF, to be perfectly honest, Pitt was overrated to begin with. They played in a sorry Big East last year, and got blown out of the water by Utah in thier last game. I know they returned a lot of starters, but when they weren't that good to begin with, just OK, to be honest I'm not quite surprised.

I know Ohio isn't a MAC power, but every year one of those teams makes a step towards respectability. It's like that in the MAC, and now that Marshall is gone, it should continue to be that way. Akron, Toledo, Northern Illinois, and Miami of Ohio have all seen there fortunes change in the last 5 years, and Ohio could be next.

Again, I'm no Wannstedt fan, and how he remains to be a head coach I don't know, but Pitt just happened to be the best team (if you wanna call a 3 way tie for first, the best), in a very weak conference, and when they get out of conference it shows, sort of like the SWAC.

NICE

Nice

Utah blew everyone out of the water last year. They were undefeated and played 4 bowl teams (besides Pittsburgh), beat them by an average of 23 points and finished ranked 6th in every national poll. Now, I never said I thought Pittsburgh was a national power but come on . . . they were a young team last year. There is no way you go 8-4 beating the likes of Boston College and West Virginia and not be at least half way decent. And my point, regardless of how tough the Big East was, was with that many returning starters (16) you don't get blasted by Notre Dame (not just beat but blasted) and beat by an Ohio team that went 4-7 last season.

GF, I understand your point bruh, believe me I do, but I just think Pitt was overrated. Again, looking at how Notre Dame beat Michigan this past Saturday in Ann Arbor, that lost doesn't look that bad. Time will tell if Notre Dame is really for real, or just catching teams off gaurd, but Michigan was equally embarassed by them if not more, because they were a heavy favorite, and a supposed "national title" contender.

Granted, Ohio was 4-7 last year, but that doesn't have anything to do with what kind of team they field this year. I don't know the circumstances as to why they finished 4-7, but they could be improved. I'm not saying they're gangbusters, or worldbeaters, but time will tell with them as well.

I will say this though, Pitt had chances to win the game Friday against Ohio, and because Wannstedt is a bad head coach, instead of going for the win in the closing seconds of the game, he chose to be content, and play for overtime. I remember telling JR, how dumb that was.

NICE

James Bell(or anyone else in BCF) wishes he was as good as Wannstedt. Anyway I think its way too early to judge him. Sometimes it takes a while for college coaches to really get going. At least give the man a full season before we call him a failure.

wahines said:
Dave Wannstedt is so awful of a coach; that he would make the Patriots non Super Bowl contenders and USC the worst College Football team in America.

But it is the American way. White coach can be awful and get chance after chance while the African-American Coach cannot even get an interview.

Wannstedt should not be able to even coach a Pee Wee Team.

Cosign !!!!!!!!!!!

It is definitely the american way !!!!!!!! :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

JSU/99 said:
James Bell(or anyone else in BCF) wishes he was as good as Wannstedt. Anyway I think its way too early to judge him. Sometimes it takes a while for college coaches to really get going. At least give the man a full season before we call him a failure.
He hasn't fallen on his face as head coach enough already to be judged??? And when has Wanstedt done anything to make anyone think that he might be a good coach???

White James Bell. The antithesis of a coach.

I really want to see how Pitt plays at the end of the season. In other words I am wondering if they will wear down because Wannstedt has a reputation of having long and tough practices. If this continues he should look for work as a defensive coordinator.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
When Pittsburgh hired him I just shook my head. He reminds me of a former NFL coach name Rich Kotite. Kotite seemed to always get hired somehow even though he was horrible. His teams always underperformed. He ran the Philadelphia Eagles and the New York Jets into the ground before people finally gave up on him. But even Wannstedt is better than James Bell because at least he knows more than three offensive plays __ Toss right, Toss left, and Go up the middle against eight-men fronts.

Back