Dallas or Houston?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Houston is better for Black people. When most folks claim Dallas,they are generally talking about some far flung suburb and not the city itself. I've lived in Dallas for 17 years now. I'm just here for the money.
Been in Dallas since '96 and while I enjoy living in Dallas(Murphy,Wylie area). You're right. There are a few pop up spots in Dallas where you'll get a professional black crowd but not a lot. You been to The Parlor(Frisco) or the Red Phone Booth cigar bar(Grandscape/Colony)? Two nice spots with more of a grown black crowd.

I like both cities for different reasons. But if the "black experience" is most important, you'll feel most seen and comfortable in Houston. Also the food in Houston is much better. But Dallas looked prettier overall (houston has improved in this area), has better infrastructure, and had more jobs in my field.

Dallas has one HBCU but most times I forget Paul Quinn is there. Houston two major HBCUs equate to a stronger local black community.

But personally, I think Dallas is a better fit for me b/c my hatred of hurricanes, flooding, and Houston's humidity is too high.

Last edited:
Hurricanes aren't nearly as scary as the spontaneous tornado/hailstorm threat here in dfw. Growing up on the coast, you have time to prepare for a Hurricane. Tornadoes not so much

Dallas is boring.
Yep, that's how it was for me. It's a nice place to live, but it was boring for the most part. Coming from the DMV area where there is plenty of things going on, I felt bored at times in Dallas. I would go to some of the concerts in Dallas, which were nice. A lot of big booty women all over the place. Just thick, thick lol

Last edited:
Yep, that how is was for me. It's a nice place to live, but it was boring for the most part. Coming from the DMV area where there is plenty of things going on, I felt bored at times in Dallas. I would go to some of the concerts in Dallas, which were nice. A lot of big booty women all over the place. Just thick, thick lol
Yeah having lived in NYC and other major cities. I thought Houston was slow until I hit Dallas. Lord… Now I appreciate Houston more.

Hurricanes aren't nearly as scary as the spontaneous tornado/hailstorm threat here in dfw. Growing up on the coast, you have time to prepare for a Hurricane. Tornadoes not so much
Yes sir. One destroyed my crib and that was the last straw for me. I packed it down south to the country and I'll be damned if Harvey didn't hit and stay for a week flooding everything along the San Jac 'round here. smh

I guess you are right, I enjoy visiting Houston but the humidity ohh wee. I say I like Dallas, but I only lived in Dallas 1 year and Grand Prairie 24 years. The food in Houston is better but it will stick to you, even white girls have nice bQQties in Houston. Dallas drivers are horrible but they are worse in Houston. Not having a real sewer system in Houston is different. That 610 loop is no joke in Houston, but 635 here should be avoided at all cost. We need a high speed train between the two cities, makes no sense we don't have one.

So True. I keep telling people, you usually have a week to prepare. I have been here years and never left for a hurricane. And people talk about Harvey. I did not flood and neither did any of my friends or relatives. Now, I will admit it came close several times, within 10 feet of the garage door, but always receded. By that afternoon, my subdivison was dry. Now, I will admit, I could not get far out of the subdivision. But did not need to. Prepared. Food, beer, plenty of women to party with (since no one could get more than 5 miles outside the subdivision) and I did not lose power.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Dallas is boring.
Yes it's boring but safer than houston. i learned boring is not always a bad thing. also dallas is more expensive than houston so houstoniians have slightly more money to do stuff.

Ok well scratch hurricanes, what about major storms? Houston is prone to major flooding and all it takes it a bunch of rain.

Yes it's boring but safer than houston. i learned boring is not always a bad thing. also dallas is more expensive than houston so houstoniians have slightly more money to do stuff.

Ok well scratch hurricanes, what about major storms? Houston is prone to major flooding and all it takes it a bunch of rain.
I agree. Overall the Dallas metro is safer. I personally never lived in unsafe areas of Houston. So I never worried about safety. And, Houston will flood with a thunderstorm but I enjoyed my days off when that happened. lol

Back