Culture: Suburban (yuppie), country, ghetto, urban-contemporary, ...

Panther88

Banned
I find myself constantly revisiting this thing called "culture." To me, I define culture to be that environmental stimulus that makes you who you are, makes you act the way you do, establishes the guidelines and morals that you possess, regulates you, defines you, blah blah blah...

Me? I'm country as all "L" out and proud of my meager upbringing (no, that part of Montgomery County IS NOT suburbia!). I learned to appreciate and understand the simple things and even SIMPLE ( :eek: ) people. I remember as a young'un when my "city" (LOL) cousins would visit and how 'fast' they were. They'd come to the country and damn near turn the entire town upside down while they were there... And those were the females :emlaugh: LOL so you can imagine how/what the guys did! :emlaugh:

Upon entering PV, I REALLY felt the "culture" shock of dealing w/ AAs who possessed something that I didn't at that time... A TRUE AA culturish ( :confused: ) upbringing. Even now, my friendset is tremendously small due to the fact that I'm now a complex-simple country-city boy :confused: and those are the types that I'm attracted to. Seem to be few and far between these days....

The "old" culture is still a part of me and I don't think it'll ever die. It's that part of me that still FORCES me to go and look in the rock and roll section for music, to talk "valleyish" from time to time (for sure-for sure... :( ), to still maintain this love/hate relationship w/ anglos, ... Or even something as simple as returning to the hometown and sitting for 5-6 hours on someones porch and talk continuously w/ an elder, mowing a pasture, feeding the cows, ride those filthy arse horses, ... But, at the same time, this "newer" culture allows me to drive the Gremlin to work and look at it in the parking lot amongst those white folx Escalades, Benzos, Beamers, ... and feel like a thousand bucks knowing that I'm right there w/ them (leaking oil and smoke between their nice vehicles - LOL :D), desire 'nice' material things, live comfortably, talk proper ( :confused: ), ...

My "culture" has changed 4 fold and now, it's simple yet very complex. Before realizing what culture was, I'd say negative things about people that I thought were "ghetto" or even "urban." Not realizing that that was all that they knew and more than likely, that was a part of their upbringing. How could I stand in judgement and accuse them of being a certain way when they too were probably looking at my country ass and saying "look at that country SOB! LOL Hey boy! Ain't it time ta' slop' da' hogs!??? LOL" I've since STOPPED making fun of Dallas peeps who do not say hair as hair, but, "here." That's all they know and it's a part of their culture... :( Same thing w/ Northerners vs Southerners and perceptions thereof...

Culture is a biaaaaaaaaaaa.... :(

Do I need to EXPLICITLY ASK what YOUR culture is? (past and present)

Sheesh.... :rolleyes:

Panthro dammit! :mad:
ps
J4J, you need not respond as I know your arse is country-city/complex-simple as well! :emlaugh: Houma???? LOL - country... Houston???? :( - city... :(

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Another very good topic

Sorry P~, I know it took me while to respond.;)
Since we've started this new board, yall are really posting huh?

Anyway,

Culture huh.....well this is one to think on for a minute but I will say; I know I'm still country, from time to time. You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of her. I've learned to appreciate some of the finer, nicer things in life tho. I still laugh @ these ghetto @ss folks out here in DTown. I know they laugh @ my accent too....LOL:D

I think some people tend to forget where they come from and get caught up. I have a problem when folks are fake or like to front. Be yourself and be proud of who you are, no matter your culture.

Culture is a general term. It can mean lots of different things; from your upbringing, your social skills, your passions, your lingo, your perception of others, your mind and morals, your civilization, etc. I can go on and on, but I think you feel me P~.:p

Oh and BTW, yo @ss is still country, even wit dat big "A" house and car....ROTF.:emlaugh:

Gul, shut UP!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I live in a 1BR trailer and drive a Gremlin, isht! LOL

Seriously, it's that country side of me that made me drive an old raggedy arse 1967 chevy truck for over 6 years w/ no air recently in hot arse Dallas. I was accustomed to heat and a simple vehicle and didn't want to afford any other vehicle. (other factors as well)

Hmmmmmmmmm..... I just thought of another thread.

Panthro!
ps
good 411 DTown. Good 411...

Re: Gul, shut UP!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I live in a 1BR trailer and drive a Gremlin, isht!

Originally posted by Panthro
Seriously, it's that country side of me that made me drive an old raggedy arse 1967 chevy truck for over 6 years w/ no air recently in hot arse Dallas. I was accustomed to heat and a simple vehicle and didn't want to afford any other vehicle. (other factors as well)

Hmmmmmmmmm..... I just thought of another thread.

Panthro!
ps
good 411 DTown. Good 411...

I feels ya on that no air syndrome.....I'm still going thru that rat now; at least until next friday.:p

But I still remember a statement you made a while back about it "keeping you humble"....ya know ridin' with those windows down.:rolleyes:

I feel I was raised buppie/suburban/siddity, so I know how to interact with the ofays, but was later exposed to ghetto fabulousness when I attended Prairie View A&M University.

Now I'm just a perfect blend. :D

where I live you got a mixture of it all, except it's black

the pretty boys
the thugs
the middle of the road folks
the torn down McDonald's
the vacant shopping center
the corner store
the church on the corner

wouldn't trade my experience for nothing, your 100% prepared for the rigors of HBCU life.

I's a city girl who spent her summers and holiday is the country(Double Bayou,Tx right outside of Anahuac,Tx) So I feel I got the best of both worlds...Ghetto-fabolousness...simple country life. My granny in DB had a propane gas tank that furnished gas to the house that the gas man had to fill.

LOL

jelli, that be the country fo-sho! LOL Also, it's REAL country when each home owned it's OWN private well. I miss those free car washes and letting water run continuously... :(

bandfan, sounds like you're talking about MoCity. :D

Pison....in Navasota, what we call a lake or pond they call tank...

or your driveway was the wheel tracks you made in the grass

their building a new, pretty boy HS in Mo. City as I type....that's going to be something

Yep that was country, how bout a cow pasture next to the house. And yes, I went fishing is plenty of tanks...they produce good bass and white perch.......mmmmmmmm good.:) This brings to mind a song..Back in the day when I was young, I'm not a kid anymore, but some days I sit and wish I was a kid again.

Back