Congrats:: JSU upsets undefeated Utah State

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
Utah State came in the game undefeated(5-0)

JSU get its first win of the season.

JSU -63
Utah State- 57
FINAL

Congrats JSU another quality win for the SWAC.

We (PV) tried to, but was a little short handed after 2 OT's

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
December 8, 2002

JSU tops Utah State for 1st win; Henderson hurt

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Utah State has a well-deserved reputation as a well-disciplined basketball team.

Surprisingly, Jackson State beat the Aggies at their own game Saturday night.

The Tigers were efficient on offense, created havoc on defense and shot 82 percent from the free- throw line to walk away with a 63-57 victory before 575 at the Athletics and Assembly Center.

It was the first win of the season for JSU, 1-5, which was playing at home for the first time this season.

Big West Conference champion Utah State dropped to 5-1. The Aggies have won 84 games over the past three-plus seasons, the sixth-highest total in the country over that span.

"We beat a very good team tonight," JSU coach Andy Stoglin said. "We've got a lot of offensive-minded players. . . they all want to shoot. . . so it's hard for them to give themselves up for the team. Tonight they did. Hopefully, that success will carry over."

Some of the Tigers' excitement was sapped by an injury sustained by swingman Tim Henderson in the final seconds of the game. Henderson fell hard to the floor after missing an attempted alley-oop, and then lay underneath the basket for nearly 30 minutes.

While his teammates and several fans looked on, Henderson was fitted with a neck brace and placed on a stretcher before being taken to a local hospital via ambulance.

It was a scary moment for all involved. However, Stoglin said late Saturday night that Henderson was OK.

"He walked out of the hospital on his own," Stoglin said. "They said it was a deep bruise."

JSU placed four players in double figures, led by Ishmael Joyce's game-high 17 points. Cliff Walker and Henderson added 11 points apiece. K.C. Cavette chipped in 10.

"It feels good to finally get that first win," Joyce said.

"We showed we have a good team. We controlled the tempo. We were real patient on offense, slowed the game down, and got good shots out of our offense."

JSU led 31-27 at halftime and extended its lead to as many as 10 points, 45-35, six minutes into the second half. The Aggies made a small push but never could pull closer than five the rest of the way, in part to an uncharacteristic 19 turnovers and 13-of-22 shooting from the free-throw line.

JSU finished 18-of-22 at the free- throw line, 16-of-20 in the second half. And the Tigers turned the ball over only 11 times.

"That's the best game we've played all around," Cavette said. "We played like a team tonight. We kind of slacked up at the end, but we still pulled it out."

JSU was out-rebounded 49-25, but made up for it with quickness, hustle and team play ? something Stoglin stressed during Friday's lengthy practice.

Cardell Butler led Utah State with 12 points off the bench.

"I'm disappointed in the way we played, but Jackson State had something to do with that," Utah State coach Stew Morrill said. "They deserve a lot of credit for the way the game went. They're not very tall, but they're very athletic. And they are scrappy as they can be.

"They kind of shocked us with their pressure. They created a lot of turnovers, and they got us out of what we were trying to do."

This win in no way derails the Fire Stoglin Campaign. Stoglin still must go. 575 fans at the game. 575. No one wants to watch this team.

I don't normally talk basketball when we are in the process of winning the 4th SCG, but do to the many friends I have met from JSU, I will congratulate JSU this one time.

the way to go JSU.

Originally posted by MightyDog
I don't normally talk basketball when we are in the process of winning the 4th SCG, but do to the many friends I have met from JSU, I will congratulate JSU this one time.

the way to go JSU.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WINNING SCG-4. (3-PEAT)
CONGRATS JSU ON YOUR WIN.

[size=3.5] CONGRATULATIONS!

I hope our conference can get some more quality wins and improve our RPI ranking. We must work to get two teams in the tourney and get out of that 16th seed.

Sad to see the 575 attendance. In a city the size of Jackson, the attendance should always be at least 2500. I know yall want to see Stoglin ousted, but the players need support!
[/size]

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back