Conference realignment isn't over - PAC12 coming back

It seems decision makers of N. Dakota State have decided a perennial FCS championship program is better for their institutional brand over moving up into FBS insignificance.

If that is their thinking, I can't argue with that.

Would keep my eye on San Jose State

I agree. Especially with San Jose State having the
Battle For The Valley Rivalry with Fresno State and the El Camino Rivalry with San Diego State. Both rivalry games are competitive with respectable series results, and both would be enhanced greatly as PAC-12 conference rivalry games now that the Battle of LA (USC-UCLA), Big Game (Stanford-Cal) Rivalries has stepped away from the conference. The PAC-12 must have California Rivalries to stay relevant.

#2 on the look out list would most likely be Air Force. Their longest rivalry is for the Ram-Falcon Trophy with new PAC-12 member Colorado State, and they would bring the Commander & Chief Rivalry with Army & Navy to the PAC-12’s backyard. The PAC-12 would easily enhance Air Force’s national appearance and be a seller.

#3 would properly be Hawaii as they have a rivalry with Fresno State and at least have a marketable name.

#4 could possibly be New Mexico State who would leave C-USA easily. This move could help the PAC land New Mexico later on as both schools would help save PAC-12 Basketball seats in the Big Dance.

Speaking of PAC-12 Basketball, #5 & #6 could possibly be Gonzaga and Saint Marys. They are basketball schools that would keep the PAC-12 relevant on the court no matter what.

The new PAC-12 would definitely be a West Coast Version of the Big East! It would be a basketball conference.

Washington State
Oregon State
Fresno State
Boise State
San Diego State
Colorado State
San Jose State
Air Force
Hawaii
New Mexico State
Gonzaga
Saint Marys

It seems decision makers of N. Dakota State have decided a perennial FCS championship program is better for their institutional brand over moving up into FBS insignificance.

If that is their thinking, I can't argue with that.

Yup. They know that if NDSU moved to the MWC, schedule well and go 12-0, they could easily miss the College Football Playoffs and get stuck in the 2025 Rachel’s Place Bowl vs 8-9 win Big 12 team.

Yup. They know that if NDSU moved to the MWC, schedule well and go 12-0, they could easily miss the College Football Playoffs and get stuck in the 2025 Rachel’s Place Bowl vs 8-9 win Big 12 team.
Unlikely. If they went undefeated they'd likely get a playoff spot. They'd also make far more money for doing so. The MVFC teams haven't moved up because they just don't have a G5 conference close to them. You think teams like App State, Ga Southern, JMU, SHSU, etc were worried about the FCS playoffs? The Dakota schools are just in a bad location.

I am not too sure that the PAC-12 has enough money to pay, up to four schools, more penalty feesl, which is 10 million for each school they take from the MWC.

I don't think Hawaii is high on the priority list because they would be a football only member and it raise the travel cost for the schools in the conference. The MWC gives Hawaii money to help them with their travel costs and the NCAA gives them a extra game (they play a 13 game schedule).

I think UNLV is a no brainier, but the question is does UNLV have the money to pay the exit fee, which I believe is 17 million, and is University of Nevada join at their hip. Based on based moves the PAC-12 wants their headquarters to be in Vegas. I see them going after at least 2 Texas schools.

250 Million does not go along with when you have expenses and if they do end up covering the exit fees for the schools leaving the MWC they will be out funds quickly.

Off the top they need money to run the conference and pay employees.
They need to set money aside in order to pay the House Settlement if that goes through (there are other lawsuits coming down the pipe line).
They had to pay the MWC and WCC for the schedule alliance they are in for this season. I believe they paid MWC 14 million for this season.
They are using money to keep OSU and WSU close to the conference payouts levels they was getting from the last season.
Each team they take from the MWC they are paying 10 million per school, so that is 40 million right there.
If they are paying the exit fee for each MWC school, then you are looking 17 million per school, so that is 68 million (for the 4 schools taken thus far).
If they grab more schools from the MWC, while they are still a conference, then they pay 10 million for each additional school along with the 17 million exist per school (if they are paying the exit fee)

The reason I don't think they are paying the exit fee for schools is the UNLV situation. It has been reported that UNLV does have interest in the PAC-12, but the exit fee might be too much for them to pay out. Also, UNLV might be joined at the hip with the University of Nevada.

Their current media deals are not great, so I doubt they would want to spend a good size of the money while certain things are still things unclear.

I will give the PAC-12 leadership credit in doing the following:

Having the leaving schools from the PAC-12 pay their share for the over payment settlement to Comcast.
Paying for the cost of returning the PAC-12 old lease headquarters back to it's original state, as part of the agreement with the building.

It is going to be interesting to see what type of media deals the new PAC-12 will be able to get with the addition of the new schools. Either way I think one way or another the PAC-12 will add 2 to 4 teams before the NCAA deadline.

Back