Commissioner says that "SWAC has ‘long way to go’ to get out of the one-bid league stage"

Funny you should ask that.

Their best wins were again App State, Marshall, Wiliam & Mary, UNCW, etc. When they played Penn State, they lost by 6 and got skulldrug by 62 when they played Roll Tide. And people PLEASE stop scheduling schools like VUL during the season then complain when you get a 16 seed. Who you beat matters especially on the women's side with it being so top heavy

If they would have played JSU's schedule and won 5 of those games, they would have been a 13-14 seed.
No they wouldnt have.

There's a lot to be gained by playing schools that fall in our regional footprint in OOC.

Like the Southland, WAC, Ohio Valley, SoCo, ASun, MEAC, Sun Belt, American, C-USA, Big South and others ... we can fill schedules without having to regularly get our heads bashed in by the blue bloods

University of Butler says HI.

Excluding teams in their conference, they mainly play teams in the state, Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan.
9 games versus Duke & North Carolina. Never played Kansas.

When they went to championship game in 2010-their highest win? 13 Ohio State. 3 losses to top 25 teams. Played no ranked team after conference started. They were an 8th seed.
The next year were ranked 23 and LOST to Evansville. Lost to Duke. Was nor ranked the rest of the year. 8th seed AGAIN.
Next year not ranked. CBI toury
The following year ranked after beating number 1 Indiana. Ranked as high as 9. Did not win the conference tourney. 6th seed.

Here's food for thought

2010 a team played 2 ranked teams and lost and did do the play in game.
2010 Bama State played one and lost. Did the Play in game DESPITE being RANKED higher than the above team.

Want to know what team I am talking about? Their coach at the time is now Texas Southern's head coach.

But it

But it does matter, because RPI isn't the only formula they use for tournament seedings

Right

Jackson State played a lot of P5 teams but the only team that they beat was a mediocre Texas Tech team so they probably would have got no higher than a 15 seed if they made the tourney. Plus you have to consistently win to give slotted out of the 16 seed (which JSU is started to do needing really only about another year or two to be considered a dynasty). Green Bay women's basketball did that for over a decade

Some of this stuff yall say is insulting to our AD and HBCU admins.

How do you all know what attempts have been made to bring these "ideas" to fruition?
We have no idea how those conversations go (or dont go), who is willing to come to us, how much these regional schools will pay, etc...

Scheduling is not easy.

Some of this stuff yall say is insulting to our AD and HBCU admins.

How do you all know what attempts have been made to bring these "ideas" to fruition?
We have no idea how those conversations go (or dont go), who is willing to come to us, how much these regional schools will pay, etc...

Scheduling is not easy.
That's a sticking point in the whole discussion.

Southern had Baylor for a 2-for-1 not too long ago, with Baylor coming to Southern once. I doubt that will ever happen again with a Power 5 school, especially one that's ranked in the Top 25.

However, I see more trepidation from other mid- and low-majors coming to our schools in nonconference play due to the risk of potential tournament seeding/RPI/yadda yadda

But ... as ADs, that's why they get paid the big bucks, right? To navigate that mess and put something together.

It's not going to happen in one year or even two. There has to be a sustainable plan that can be implemented after coaches/ADs/commissioners leave.

Southern had Baylor for a 2-for-1 not too long ago, with Baylor coming to Southern once. I doubt that will ever happen again with a Power 5 school, especially one that's ranked in the Top 25.

However, I see more trepidation from other mid- and low-majors coming to our schools in nonconference play due to the risk of potential tournament seeding/RPI/yadda yadda

But ... as ADs, that's why they get paid the big bucks, right? To navigate that mess and put something together.

It's not going to happen in one year or even two. There has to be a sustainable plan that can be implemented after coaches/ADs/commissioners leave.
They dont come to us for the same reason we dont go to D2s…. What financial benefit do we get from them coming to us?

Baylor and Texas A&M came to us. They both were recruiting local kids lol.

When a power 5 comes to us … it’s for a REASON…. USUALLY because they are recruiting a big time player in our immediate area… or two its because they have a Senior on their team who is from our immediate area and wants to play at “home” in their last year.

Baylor and Texas A&M came to us. They both were recruiting local kids lol.
Yes. Also, North Carolina has traditionally played games at smaller schools in hometowns of players.

But the goal should be to get moreTRUE home games against other mid- to low-majors

I still vividly remember us beating MTSU in Greenville when schools used to do home and home in the same seasons. Creighton also came to Valley when they started being Creighton (Before the Pac-12/SWAC Challenge, #15 Colorado came to Valley and got a scare for 3 quarters)

I still think regional play like the MEAC is the feasible way to go with a few money games sprinkled in here and there. We have to work towards schedule uniformity. It won't happen overnight but we HAVE to get there at some point in order to work towards getting out of the play in game

In Louisiana there are enough D1 schools to create a tournament that should alleviate the schedule issue OR the SWAC and Southland should have a schedule agreement. Scheduling The Sisters of the Poor to fill home games every year has gotten beyond irritating.

In Louisiana there are enough D1 schools to create a tournament that should alleviate the schedule issue OR the SWAC and Southland should have a schedule agreement. Scheduling The Sisters of the Poor to fill home games every year has gotten beyond irritating.
None of them are good though lol

Back