Coaches hope NCAA will expand tourney field - (More first round, "play-in"

Jafus (Thinker)

Coaches hope NCAA will expand tourney field

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney06/news/story?id=2390870

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Jim Boeheim wants more schools playing in the NCAA Tournament, and his coaching colleagues appear to agree.

The Syracuse coach said the tournament field should expand from its current 65 teams and hopes to start lobbying for an increase Friday during a meeting with the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

"I have a number in mind -- I think it should probably be about four to six, somewhere in there," Boeheim said Thursday. "The problem really is that it shouldn't come down to logistics."

The field expanded from 48 to 64 in 1985 and then added a 65th team to the field in 2001 when the NCAA increased the number of automatic bids from 30 to 31.

Boeheim said the rapid increase in Division I schools, to more than 300, and increased parity, as demonstrated by George Mason reaching the Final Four, indicates it's time to include more teams.

It's a proposal Boeheim said he has long supported, but he has not been able to convince those on the NCAA's selection committee in the past.

NCAA president Myles Brand said he has not much support to implement Boeheim's wish.

"There was some discussion of it in the last couple of years, and there hasn't been much enthusiasm for it at this point," Brand said. "I think that discussion needs to continue, but I don't see any movement in that direction."

Coaches, whose success is often measured by how often they make the tournament and how well they do in it, disagree.

After Boeheim discussed his plan during a news conference, Rice coach Willis Wilson and Clemson coach Oliver Purnell both said they would support expansion. NABC executive director Jim Haney acknowledged it's an issue that warrants debate.

"At this point, I think the topic of expansion is a fairly new one, but clearly it's come up," Haney said. "I feel confident that it will need to be addressed."

Boeheim, who won the national championship in 2003, believes the primary reason against expansion is logistics.

NCAA officials may try to avoid playing more often than the current four-day schedule over three weekends, and it would be nearly impossible to place more than eight teams at one site.

One possible solution would be increasing the number of opening-round games. Under the current structure, two teams play Tuesday night. One advances to a first-round game played on Friday.

But by adding six teams, the NCAA could have four opening-round games at the same site, providing more of a tournament atmosphere.

"Even though you wouldn't want to be in that play-in game, you're still in the tournament," Boeheim said. "That's a lot better feeling than not being in the tournament."

Another factor in favor of expansion is George Mason's success.

The Patriots (27-7) of the Colonial Athletic Association became the first No. 11 seed to reach the Final Four since LSU in 1986, yet they were no lock to be in the field on selection Sunday.

Coaches believe the number of good teams has grown significantly. And why, they argue, should a team like George Mason be left out?

"There are deserving teams," said Purnell, who previously coached at Dayton. "George Mason could easily have been left out of the tournament. Obviously, they're a deserving team. If you expand it, you decrease the possibility of leaving out more deserving teams."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Coaches hope NCAA will expand tourney field - (More first round, "play-in&q

Jafus (Thinker) said:
One possible solution would be increasing the number of opening-round games. Under the current structure, two teams play Tuesday night. One advances to a first-round game played on Friday.

But by adding six teams, the NCAA could have four opening-round games at the same site, providing more of a tournament atmosphere.

"Even though you wouldn't want to be in that play-in game, you're still in the tournament," Boeheim said. "That's a lot better feeling than not being in the tournament."

If you expand it, you decrease the possibility of leaving out more deserving teams."

Just another way of screwing the smaller conferances that only get 1 bid anyway. They winner of these play-in games would still get screwed by only getting 1 payment instead of 2 by playing in 2 games. Since the NCAA owns the NIT these alledged schools that get left out still get to play in a post season tournament.

Now watch they try to stick the smaller schools in the NIT as a tournament for them like they separate football into D1A and D1AA.

Fiyah said:
Just another way of screwing the smaller conferances that only get 1 bid anyway. They winner of these play-in games would still get screwed by only getting 1 payment instead of 2 by playing in 2 games.

Ok I see where you are coming from...I have a question...

Is it just me or does everyone feel that the bowl games and playoffs only benefit the big schools?

:mad: I am totally against this idea. Jim Boeheim and the big boys only want more slots for the big schools because the mid-majors are challenging them now for spots in the tourney. With George Mason success and the Missouri Valley's good RPI rankings, Boeheim can see that the days of the Big East getting 8 schools in the tourney and the Colonel or Missouri Valley only getting 1 to 3 bids at the most are OVER. Next season, if the Colonel and Missouri Valley continue their success, both conferences deserve as many teams as the big boys and that hurts the Big East. Boeheim and crew wouldn't be saying anything if George Mason didn't shock the world and the Missouri Valley didn't get multiple bids and do fairly well while the Big East and the Big Ten tanked. The tournament is already large enough and long enough.

I agree as well. He's not an advocate for small and mid-major schools. this is not some act of kindness. he is trying to angle to get some of the lower seeds out of the way and retain bids for syracuse, the big east and their contemporaries. I can also see the eveloution someone mention about the nit. also george mason already is getting screwed b/c they won't get paid like they should for this run. the ncaa pays schools not for this year, but for the average sucess over the last few years of the conference. so this year will help tremedously it's not as big a financial boost for GM as it would be say if syracuse had gone to the financial 4...I mean final 4. If a swac squad advanced to the final 4, their payout would be paltry compared to the other schools that advanced.

Didn't hey try this mess in '91?. That's when JSU played Coastal Carolina. Big D1 schools just hatin' because they got the boot early.

Ditto ... it seems that the Big Conferences are trying their best to keep their numbers up and/or increase while trying to get over on the smaller conferences.

If the smaller conferences really want to stick it to "big brother" lets schedule more mid-major games and tournaments and slide in some money games. And let's not jump at all the chances to make a dollar here or there.

Ok..I was wrong..from reading some of the post...this is just a way to get some of the schools in to the Big Dance from the larger conferences...

Think about This..................

Crumbs Under The Table !!!

F-ugg-get this "more play in games bullsnit"..............either you're in the BIG Dance or not! STOP relegating the small Conferences or smaller schools to some out of the way meaningless play in games. Sooner or later they are going to end up getting that #1#2 or #3 seed. Y'all got to be able to see what's coming with this back handed attempt to (wink Wink) get more teams into the tournament.

First of all.........If and when this starts it's always going to be the Majority Black Conferences against each other i.e. the SWAC against the MEAC......HELLO. After that some coach is going to come up with the idea that since these are designated play-In games.........the monetary share should be reduced. We have this already.........it's called the NIT!!! Then later the suggestion will come that there should be a designated 'neutral site' where these "play-in" games will be played that is located AWAY FROM THE REST OF THE BIG DANCE FIELD .......say like Fargo, ND......Slippery Rock, PA.............Walla Walla, Wash or Akron, OH.

Take this example.........The ALCORN Team that went 28-0 could very well be sent to a play-in game because of their Conference power rating....................therefore they could possibly end up playing Mount Union who is 25-3 in some God-forsaken place like Tucumcari, AZ with little or no National TV exposure on ESPN-U instead of playing LSU, Duke or Arizona St on National TV on the major networks in a prime time performance.......think outside of the initial 'gift box' ?????????

Maybe it's just me being able to read through this bullsnit..........but I can see where this is headed.............in the words of Elmer Fudd, "Be verywee warewee of white men barewing free gifts".

Just one man's opinion

PEACE.......

Back