bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
By Fred Mitchell
Tribune staff reporter

August 31, 2001 8:40 PM CDT

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E-mail this story
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Walter Payton once said he was more proud of his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame than his enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The late Bears running back believed many qualified players from his alma mater, Jackson State, and other historically black colleges were being overlooked. Thanks to players such as Payton, Willie Davis (Grambling) and Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley), the NFL has improved its scouting over the past couple decades.

Organizers of Saturday's 5:30 p.m. game between Howard University and Jackson State?the annual Chicago Football Classic at Soldier Field?recognize Payton's contribution by renaming the event the Walter Payton Classic.

"Walter did as much for Jackson State during those 13 years with the Bears ? and for black college football ? as any athlete," said his brother Eddie Payton, who is the Tigers' golf coach. "He established that, No. 1, we could play and that the quality of competition in our conference is as good as anywhere in the nation. Walter set a standard for all of the athletes from historically black colleges to live up to."

Jackson State is coached by Robert Hughes, who guided the Tigers to the SWAC Eastern Division championship in Birmingham, Ala., last season. Howard University is led by coach Steve Wilson, who recorded a .700 winning percentage in the 1990s.

Howard returns 11 starters on defense, including 6-foot, 230-pound linebacker Tracy White, who was named conference Defensive Player of the Year last season. Linebacker teammates Oby Arah, Damian Walker and Vontrae Long help anchor one of the top defenses in the league.

Jackson State is led by 6-5 quarterback Robert Kent, who threw for over 2,500 yards and 28 touchdowns last season.

Receiver Lawrence Story, who is 6-6, caught 42 passes last season and scored six touchdowns. T.C. Taylor, a converted quarterback, caught 34 passes for 555 yards.

Copyright 2001 The Chicago Tribune

[size=5.5]GREAT[/size]. Whenever a tribute goes out to a class individual such as Walter Payton we should all feel pride. Even if he were still alive, this would be the appropriate thing to do...Walter Payton was a super athlete and a class individual.

Everytime I hear his name, my first thoughts are not back to his illustrious NFL career, but to the time I first saw him vs GSU his junior year. All game long we yelled, "get him...stop him...get him!

An honor well deserved.

Payton was one of the best I ever saw in college (and the pros) also. I saw him when JSU played at SU. He inflicted just as much pain on the defense as they did on him. One could easily tell that he was going to be great.

Regards.

I WISH I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO SEE WALTER WHEN HE PLAYED AT JSU. I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND THAT WENT TO GRAMBLING WHEN WALTER PLAYED, HE TOLD ME A STORY ABOUT WALTER.

HE SAID WE HELD WALTER TO 70 YARDS ONE YEAR, THE THE OTHER BACK IN THE BACKFIELD HAD 170.

Back