Can "Blackish" Become this Generation's The Cosby Show

The Founder

I am a fan of the show. One of my coworkers cannot get passed the title. Yet, the show has comedy but truly touches on some societal issues and growing pains of kids. You have two realistic parents where both of their jobs are focused on more. Though we all knew that Claire was a lawyer, we never knew what type, and Cliff was an OB-GYN and had a clinic in his basement.

Blackish has a similar feel of a mother who is an anesthesiologist and a father who is an ad executive. Father from South Central where some episodes focus on his life growing up there and relating it to his current family. While the mother comes from a bi-racial family with a focus on a sister who is reality TV actress and brother who is in to yoga and the free living life.

What is interesting is how it gives a positive image to this generations parenting. For example as a parent of teenagers I truly can relate to the show. More importantly the show was criticized early on about the family being too rich by showing them with a S-Class Benz and a Range Rover. After the criticism the vehicles were downgraded to show the family downsizing to Buicks to save money for their kid's college fund. something that most parents these days have to deal with.

Your thoughts.....

longevity is the only way it'll get to that status and shows don't have that staying power now or put in that type of work load. You never saw this many mid-season finales like we do now

longevity is the only way it'll get to that status and shows don't have that staying power now or put in that type of work load. You never saw this many mid-season finales like we do now

I agree....I pray Blackish stays on for a while because there are a number of issues the show can touch on.

Yes, I love "Blackish." I think kids today need to see this type of television show. The parents are wonderful and I love the grandparents. The grandparents remind me of back in the day when the grandparents really did live in the same household with their children and grandchildren. I am a big fan of "Blackish."

he problem is when the network decides to move it to another day like thay have done for the fall 2017 season. I think ABC had a good thing going with the shows they had on Wedneday but they have moved 2 of those shows (Modern Family & Blackish) to Tuesday to go against CBS's NCIS, Bull & NCIS New Orleans. They are gonna get smashed against that lineup, good thing for DVR's.

he problem is when the network decides to move it to another day like thay have done for the fall 2017 season. I think ABC had a good thing going with the shows they had on Wedneday but they have moved 2 of those shows (Modern Family & Blackish) to Tuesday to go against CBS's NCIS, Bull & NCIS New Orleans. They are gonna get smashed against that lineup, good thing for DVR's.

I wonder how the networks gauge viewers like me who TIVO all the shows and watch them on a Saturday or simply TIVO one show and watch another. I know on some nights I have 4 or 5 shows being recorded on my TIVO.

Yup, Black-ish got moved to Tuesday and something stupid was put in their Wednesday time slot. Black-ish is a show I watched with my daughter and we would actually discuss the show afterward. Like the Rodney King anniversary or the episode with Zoe sending boys selfies.
I don't understand TV executives and why they think putting one show up against another is good. And when that show does't do well they claim ratings and cancel it and the show they swapped it with sometimes does worse. If they had left well enough alone then everyone would be happy.

As for the title, white people or Non POC kill me by saying they can't get past the title, it could be called the Anthony Anderson show and they'd still have an issue because its a predominately black cast.

As for the title, white people or Non POC kill me by saying they can't get past the title, it could be called the Anthony Anderson show and they'd still have an issue because its a predominately black cast.

Yep, remember tramp tweeted about the shows name during the Emmy's. If you look at some of the other show names they have on ABC it does give you some kind of take on the race of the shows family (ie Fresh off the boat, The O'neal's, Blackish, The Goldbergs).

Yup, Black-ish got moved to Tuesday and something stupid was put in their Wednesday time slot. Black-ish is a show I watched with my daughter and we would actually discuss the show afterward. Like the Rodney King anniversary or the episode with Zoe sending boys selfies.

You should add Grown-ish to watch with her. It'a spin off of Black-ish with the daughter who's gone off to college.

'Grown-ish' is a very worthy 'Black-ish' spinoff

A spinoff from Black-ish, Grown-ish premiered last Wednesday and was an immediate hit for Freeform — it scored the channel’s highest series launch in five and a half years. Sure, there was bound to be substantial tune-in from fans of Black-ish, but the ratings were just as strong for the second of the back-to-back episodes Freeform scheduled for the premiere, suggesting that viewers were intrigued by the way Yara Shahidi’s Zoey Johnson has left her family to go to college.

The show immediately made good on its title: There’s more of a grown-up tone to the way Zoey comports herself as a college freshman. She is immediately plunged into a campus social life that includes parties at which drinking and an impressive amount of drugging was done by the student body; indeed, one of Zoey’s new Breakfast Club-style group of pals is a part-time drug dealer, played by Jordan Buhat. It’s as if Grown-ish is saying, “This is not your mother’s Black-ish.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/grownish-freeform-review-160832241.html

Can "Blackish" Become this Generation's The Cosby Show?

Uhhh...I can't answer that. I have NEVER watched the show. For whatever reason, I'm not a fan of 30 minutes sitcoms. :(

ABC set the spring season finale dates for its scripted programming today, including the series signoff for Kenya Burris’ long-running Black-ish.

The 13th and final episode of Season 8 of the Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross-starring show will air on Tuesday, April 19 at 9 p.m. (EST)

Back