Bush's White Surpremacy Agenda

pbla

Focus
Bush's White Surpremacy Agenda

By Deborah Mathis
Special to BlackAmericaWeb.com

You can?t accuse George W. Bush of not being confident. His many critics around the world call it arrogance, which of course it is. But it is Bush?s confidence that gave birth to his arrogance. The question therefore, is what makes him so confident?

How can a mediocre student, gadfly businessman and former governor of a state where executive prerogative is subordinate to legislative power ? moreover, a man who showed no familiarity with nor curiosity about the rest of the world ? how could this guy muster the self-assurance to pick a fight with another nation, shrug off millions of protesters worldwide, thumb his nose at global conventions and treaties, and march his country?s young to the hell of war?

The answer, is white supremacy.

Now, this is not to be confused with white separatism and mere racism. That?s for the desperate, the threatened and the powerless. The white supremacist doesn?t have to take to the hills in quasi-military encampments, wallowing in a sty of hatred and spite. No, he may remain cool and collected ? confident to the point of arrogance ? because if he can?t get folks to do what he wants by mere command, he can always outwit or overpower them, thanks to his presumptuously superior everything.

It was white supremacy that fueled European colonialism and the agreements among Europe?s imperialists to carve up Africa and the Middle East and to claim slices of Asia.

It?s white supremacy that allows defenders to this day to even think, let alone to utter, the preposterous claim that, ultimately, the slave trade rescued black people from the mire that was Africa.

As a supremacist, George W. Bush has no particular fondness for the seething, frothy, invective-slinging separatist or mere racist who stir the nest conspicuously. After all, he has found black people useful, as in his appointments of Condoleezza Rice, the ?yes? woman of the Bush White House, and the pathetically effete Rod Paige who, on those rare occasions when he does pipe up, leaves the impression that, if corrected, his title would be secretary of miseducation.

Colin Powell, Bush has found, has been less reliable since the first black secretary of state actually challenges the president from time to time although Powell?s objections are invariably patronized, chastised or dismissed.

Bush?s black operatives buffer criticism that the country has been handed over to white men who are looking out only for themselves and folks like them. They help create an illusion of inclusiveness.

But there is no mistaking Bush?s affinity for men who, like him, believe their interests and ideas are more important and valuable than anyone else?s .The administration?s big boys -- Cheney, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, et al ? all came from a world impervious to civil rights, women?s rights and labor rights. These are let-them-eat-cake men with little patience for the hoi polloi who, in their view, came out on the losing end of natural selection. In their old world thinking, ?diversity? was a term related to stock portfolios and ?multiculturalism? denoted a mixture of art, music and literature. In their current contexts , the terms are nuisances to the ?Bushies.?

Bush?s supremacist complex was evident from the start. He emerged as the consummate supremacist. The convoluted and stubborn path he took to the Oval Office ? a road through, of all places, the U.S. Supreme Court -- showed he not only believed he was entitled to the office, but that his control of the world?s richest and most powerful nation was manifest destiny.

Since he took office, his supremacist tendencies have made him appear nationalist, elitist, and, yes, racist.

They showed up in the position he took on the University of Michigan affirmative action case.

They showed up in his snub of the U.N.-sponsored international conference racism .

They showed up on his refusal to back the Kyoto treaty on environmental protections.

And they showed up, in full bloom, in the global debate leading up to the war in Iraq ? a war that much of the world was at least skeptical of, if not downright opposed to. A war that is getting uglier and more awful by the hour. A war whose timing and tactics Bush has yet to justify.

But then, that?s the beauty of white supremacy. It shields you from the inconveniences of democracy, which is anathema to begin with. You don?t have to justify your actions because the folks who really matter ? the ones similarly afflicted with entitlement, self-righteousness and certitude ? they already get it.

They know this is about having it their way. In their world, that?s all that counts.

Deborah Mathis is a nationally syndicated columnist and former White House correspondent for the Gannett News Service. She is the author of two books, Yet A Stranger: Why Black Americans Still Don't Feel at Home and Sole Sister: The Joys and Pain of Single Black Women.

Sister spoke on it. ( like they say in church) :tup:

But you know there will be a wave of Black "Bushies" coming to tell us how great he is.

SAD

Good article. There are a lot of white folks out their with this type of what I call "Welfare Entitlement Mindset," i.e., they think everybody else exists to serve them for their welfare and benefit, they are entitled to this, and all of the "little" people are suppose to be accepting of it and happy to do so. And yes, I think George W is one of them.

In fact, I believe that if this George W had been on the scene instead of the first George W after the war of 1776, this country would have kings instead of presidents. The first George W was smart enough to see that having kings in America would not be a good thing and turned it down when it offered. The more I observe this George W and his actions, the more I believe that he wants to be King and thinks that he comes from a royal family and is entitled to it. The first George W had it right: Geroge W, we don't need a king.

Regards.

As a Republican and an American I support Bush as President. Now at no time did I vote for him, McCain is my guy. But when he became President, I agreed to disagree with some of his policies. I was of course happy to Conde Rice and Powell in his administration. This made me feel acceptionally happy because it's long over due for African Americans to be at their level. It's just makes feel even more comfrotable that we, as African Americans, are getting closer and closer to the white house.

Is this all we can ever come up with?

White supremecist???? Is that the best we can ever do? And to equate confidence with arrogance is totally ridiculous. It's only "arrogance" when you disagree with it and the person doesn't change his/her posisition. This is incredible, but given the venue and the audience, I can understand her spin on the situation.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
As a Republican and an American I support Bush as President. Now at no time did I vote for him, McCain is my guy. But when he became President, I agreed to disagree with some of his policies. I was of course happy to Conde Rice and Powell in his administration. This made me feel acceptionally happy because it's long over due for African Americans to be at their level. It's just makes feel even more comfrotable that we, as African Americans, are getting closer and closer to the white house.

ITA, regarding Rice and Powell. I agree with quite a number of conservatives' views. I support our troops. Dr. Sweet Nupe, do you listen to Shaun Hannity on talk radio or watch Hannity & Colmes on the Fox News Channel?

I thought I'd add this.
-----

Originally posted by TSU120:
Shaking hands with the butcher

By Paul Harris

There is a wonderful photograph floating around the Internet these days. It is not a fake; it is not doctored; it is real. It shows the smiling face of a much younger Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with the Butcher of Baghdad.

This photo was taken December 20, 1983, when Rumsfeld was sent to Iraq as a special envoy of Ronald Reagan. It has come to light recently as part of a series of documents that have been declassified and that tell the tale of an obnoxious U.S. policy that was every bit as indefensible as the present U.S. policy.

rumsfeld_Hussain.jpg

Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam Hussain.

http://www.shamick.com/Hipocracy.asp
http://www.ftlcomm.com/ensign/desantisArticles/2002_700/desantis743/evildoers.html

Originally posted by GramTigress

ITA, regarding Rice and Powell. I agree with quite a number of conservatives' views. I support our troops. Dr. Sweet Nupe, do you listen to Shaun Hannity on talk radio or watch Hannity & Colmes on the Fox News Channel?

I actually don't.

Back