Brion Rush possibly thru for season........

Jaguar94

College career likely over for GSU?s Rush, nation?s No. 5 scorer
By Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

A freak accident has apparently ended the collegiate career of Grambling State guard Brion Rush, the nation?s No. 5 scorer.

The Shreveport senior went down with a left foot problem while playing defense against Jackson State last week, and GSU coach Larry Wright said doctors are now suggesting weeks of rehab.

There are only four contests left before the season-ending Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament. Grambling is in second place in the SWAC, and just two games behind league-leading Southern, in the best campaign Wright has had since returning to coach at his alma mater in 1999.

?The doctor said he needs to rest it for a week or two ? and by then the tournament is pretty much over,? said Wright, who went with his star player to get a medical opinion.

Wright described the injury as a ?Jones fracture,? which is a break of the fifth metatarsel ? or little toe. He said Rush was moving down the court, but was away from other players, when the fracture happened.

?What we don?t want to do is jeopardize Brion?s health,? said Wright. ?We appreciate what he has done for us here at Grambling, but he could have played his last game for us.?

GSU?s remaining schedule includes contests on Saturday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, on Monday versus Mississippi Valley, on March 2 against Alabama State and March 4 versus Alabama A&M.

Rush was averaging 25.8 points a game.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060222/SPORTS/60222001

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Man I really hate to hear that. :(

Kinda' reminds me of that kid from AlaSU (big man) who went down. When he did, the Hornet's season went down w/ him a few years ago. It was a 3 dog race for the SWAC title that year (TSU,AlaSU,PV). :(

Jaguar94 said:
College career likely over for GSU?s Rush, nation?s No. 5 scorer
By Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

A freak accident has apparently ended the collegiate career of Grambling State guard Brion Rush, the nation?s No. 5 scorer.

The Shreveport senior went down with a left foot problem while playing defense against Jackson State last week, and GSU coach Larry Wright said doctors are now suggesting weeks of rehab.

There are only four contests left before the season-ending Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament. Grambling is in second place in the SWAC, and just two games behind league-leading Southern, in the best campaign Wright has had since returning to coach at his alma mater in 1999.

?The doctor said he needs to rest it for a week or two ? and by then the tournament is pretty much over,? said Wright, who went with his star player to get a medical opinion.

Wright described the injury as a ?Jones fracture,? which is a break of the fifth metatarsel ? or little toe. He said Rush was moving down the court, but was away from other players, when the fracture happened.

?What we don?t want to do is jeopardize Brion?s health,? said Wright. ?We appreciate what he has done for us here at Grambling, but he could have played his last game for us.?

GSU?s remaining schedule includes contests on Saturday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, on Monday versus Mississippi Valley, on March 2 against Alabama State and March 4 versus Alabama A&M.

Rush was averaging 25.8 points a game.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060222/SPORTS/60222001
Wish him the best in his recovery. Hate that for him and GSU.

Panthro said:
Man I really hate to hear that. :(

Kinda' reminds me of that kid from AlaSU (big man) who went down. When he did, the Hornet's season went down w/ him a few years ago. It was a 3 dog race for the SWAC title that year (TSU,AlaSU,PV). :(

Yeah I hate hearing news like this. Pettway did get a chance to play in the NBDL after his career at ASU.

Gram team will probably fall now. I'm not saying this is gonna happen. I wish him the best of luck, and I hope it's just not bad where he misses the tourney. Let's just hope something good happpens.

I hope the young man gets healthy and is able to come back for the tourney and go on and make the swac look good on the next level.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back