(Black) University educating professionals

SlickPartna

Client & Player President
University educating professionals

By Ken L. Spear
Montgomery Advertiser

vet.jpg

More black professionals graduate from Tuskegee University than all but 26 other colleges and universities in America, according to U.S. Department of Education data.

The 128-year-old institution is the only Alabama university to make the annual list of "The Top 100 Degree Producers" published in Black Issues in Higher Education, a Fairfax, Va.-based bi-weekly periodical.

The Black Issues annual analysis, based on the Education Department's preliminary graduation statistics, ranked Tuskegee University 27th among the nation's colleges and universities.

Kevin Sanders, a fourth-year doctoral student in the School of Veterinary Medicine, is impressed with Tuskegee's professional program.

"Most jobs are on-the-job training," said Sanders, who currently is researching how mercury chloride affects reproduction in male animals. "Here, I've been able to work in clinics to get an idea of things I would see on the job, and I've been involved with plenty of different surgeries."

Tuskegee's veterinary school dean, Dr. Alfonza Atkinson, said the school is the alma mater of more than 60 percent of the nation's black veterinarians. The vet school was founded in 1944.

"Our mission has been and continues to be to provide teaching, research and service to members of our community and to the world," Dr. Atkinson said.

Dr. Antonio Bowens, who earned his doctorate from Tuskegee in May, described that degree as "the pinnacle of my career in terms of academics."

Bowens, who also earned his baccalaureate degree at Tuskegee, is a veterinarian in Akron, Ohio. His graduating class made history during this past graduation because five students earned master's degrees in engineering and Tuskegee's first class of doctoral students graduated.

Tuskegee University President Benjamin Payton refers to that occasion as a "real watershed event" for the institution because it expands the traditions of a university that has long made contributions to research, education and outreach.

In the area of all disciplines combined, Tuskegee awarded 43 "first professional degrees? in 2001-2002 compared with 41 in 2000-2001. That means students have at least two academic years of previous college work for entrance and a total of at least six years of college work.

Tuskegee tied with the University of Alabama at Birmingham for the No. 8 spot in producing blacks with master?s degrees in engineering, according to the report.

In the report, researchers also noted that 3 percent of all master?s degrees in engineering and technology-related fields are awarded to blacks nationwide. And 1.5 percent earn doctorates in those areas.

?It stands to reason, then, that in less than a decade, a significant majority of African Americans with Ph.D.s in materials science and engineering will be graduates of Tuskegee University,? Payton said.

==============================

TOP PRODUCERS

Other Alabama colleges and universities made the "Top 100 Degree Producers" list in the current Black Issues in Higher Education. The categories and school national rankings include:

All disciplines combined, doctorate: University of Alabama (70), University of Alabama at Birmingham and Auburn University (80 each)

Doctorate, biological and life sciences: UAB (4)

Doctorate, health sciences and related professions: UAB (9)

Doctorate, psychology: UA (19)

Master's degree in education: Troy State University (8), Alabama State University (9), UAB (29), Alabama AM University (30) and Jacksonville State University (41)

Master's degree in engineering: Tuskegee University and UAB (21) and UA-Huntsville (30)

Master's, all disciplines combined: TSU (3), ASU (28), Alabama AM (42) and UAB (47)

First professional degrees in medicine: UAB (22)

Source: Black Issues in Higher Education magazine and U.S. Department of Education

=========================

daSource

;)

'preciate the move -- I thought about it after I clicked "SUBMIT"...
but then it was all over.... ;)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back