Black News Channel to shut down

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/wh...ratings-led-to-a-promising-networks-collapse/

the network drew most attention for giving airtime to controversial conservatives, like radio host and former California gubernatorial candidate Larry Elder, Trump sycophant Ben Carson, and activist CJ Pearson. BNC’s airwaves have also featured Bill Cosby and his spokespersons, accused grifters Umar Johnson and Shaun King, and anti-social justice activists such as Christopher Rufo, allowing them to launder their reputations and promote beliefs or actions that critics argue harm Black people. Such commentary made the network appealing to the Republican Party, which made a five-figure ad buy in February.

Yet, BNC was tied with Comedy.tv for second-to-last place in ratings amongst all cable networks tracked by Nielsen during the year of 2021, averaging just 4,000 viewers. For comparison: BET averaged 365,000 viewers last year, 92 times BNC’s viewership. TV One averaged 109,000 (both networks boast much less news or daily original content than BNC). There is an audience out there for news and Black-centric content, but BNC never won it over.

we're already the smallest demographic out there - your starting behind to begin with so you better have kick-azz programming to reel them in but with folks cutting the cord it doesn't help

You get better news on YouTube.

Tariq has twice the number on his Youtube livestream than a cable network that was in 50 million homes

That's gonna be the go to news source going forward because you know you are getting slanted news whether it is from CNN/MSNBC or Fox News.

You get better news on YouTube.

Tariq has twice the number on his Youtube livestream than a cable network that was in 50 million homes

That's gonna be the go to news source going forward because you know you are getting slanted news whether it is from CNN/MSNBC or Fox News.

Just saying...YouTubers are just folks who'll take a news story and give their opinion based on their biases. I doubt some YT critic is will make any real money bumping their gums about folks they don't like. News just reports the story.

Fox News got started with people experienced in news and plenty of money.

BNC was just poorly managed and without investors willing to take losses while they went through learning what actually works.

Just saying...YouTubers are just folks who'll take a news story and give their opinion based on their biases. I doubt some YT critic is will make any real money bumping their gums about folks they don't like. News just reports the story.

Fox News got started with people experienced in news and plenty of money.

BNC was just poorly managed and without investors willing to take losses while they went through learning what actually works.

What is the point of having a black liberal network, when you have CNN and MSNBC for that reason?

The White liberals don't have any use for black people after 45 lost the election.

What is the point of having a black liberal network, when you have CNN and MSNBC for that reason?

The White liberals don't have any use for black people after 45 lost the election.
We don't need a black liberal network. Nor Tariq or Shaun King or BLM nonsense. Nor uneducated black folks who constantly blame every Democrat on the planet for everything.

What we need is a network that just tells it like it is. Not preach victimhood or Democrat bashing.

One that will show every single black person who is dealing with and battling black on black violence instead of screaming it's not real.
One that will black women here are all these success black men-who do not play sports, rap or deal drugs-that they claim don't exist.
One that will show these black schools that are more than sports and frats.
One that will show all these other medias-shows, books and so on that do not glorify black misery-that the victimhood central says does not exist.
One that will tell the victimhood central the reason we don't have folks in certain jobs is NOT just do to racism. It is also do to folks not applying for the jobs or going to college for those majors. I can't hire a black man to be a teacher if we don't have a supply of them.
And FINALLY a network that will tell black folks what they NEED to hear not what they want nor will suck up to toxic black folks like Kyrie Irving. Tariq, Kaepernick and so on. Stop propping these folks up.

Imagine thinking CNN is "liberal."

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

That's an interesting point. But, MSNBC is heavily focused on politics as they used to say..."The Place for Politics." Neither focuses on black issues. So, I'd totally disagree with you that those channels are liberal and black. They may jump on some story after a ground swell.

As far as being a black liberal network, don't you think we need economic and social improvements? You can't be conservative if you want society to progress. Most of us are conservative on some things and liberal on others.

Conservatives are fighting progress of some.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
We don't need a black liberal network. Nor Tariq or Shaun King or BLM nonsense. Nor uneducated black folks who constantly blame every Democrat on the planet for everything.

What we need is a network that just tells it like it is. Not preach victimhood or Democrat bashing.

One that will show every single black person who is dealing with and battling black on black violence instead of screaming it's not real.
One that will black women here are all these success black men-who do not play sports, rap or deal drugs-that they claim don't exist.
One that will show these black schools that are more than sports and frats.
One that will show all these other medias-shows, books and so on that do not glorify black misery-that the victimhood central says does not exist.
One that will tell the victimhood central the reason we don't have folks in certain jobs is NOT just do to racism. It is also do to folks not applying for the jobs or going to college for those majors. I can't hire a black man to be a teacher if we don't have a supply of them.
And FINALLY a network that will tell black folks what they NEED to hear not what they want nor will suck up to toxic black folks like Kyrie Irving. Tariq, Kaepernick and so on. Stop propping these folks up.

I don't think any cable news channel tells anyone what they should hear. The old radio show folks say that news changed when it became profit driven. That's why I say you need folks dedicated and with deep pockets.

No one would have known about Emmitt Till if it wasn't for black media. So, they are needed...in some form.

I don't think any cable news channel tells anyone what they should hear. The old radio show folks say that news changed when it became profit driven. That's why I say you need folks dedicated and with deep pockets.

No one would have known about Emmitt Till if it wasn't for black media. So, they are needed...in some form.

Now THIS I will agree with you about (and not that nonsense about "victimhood" sounds just like Candance Owens

We need REAL black INDEPENDENT journalism out here in article and podcast form. The Youtube side is growing but we need actual grassroots journalists given black people the actual raw news that affects black people and not those angling for a CNN/MSNBC job or the trash stuff out passing as "journalism" that's owned by non-black people with an anti-black agenda

Now THIS I will agree with you about (and not that nonsense about "victimhood" sounds just like Candance Owens

We need REAL black INDEPENDENT journalism out here in article and podcast form. The Youtube side is growing but we need actual grassroots journalists given black people the actual raw news that affects black people and not those angling for a CNN/MSNBC job or the trash stuff out passing as "journalism" that's owned by non-black people with an anti-black agenda

Yes. We had real black media growing up. Black people who didn't cut no corners.

But, when we decided that integrating with white people was better than having our own. Well... you know, what happen.

That's an interesting point. But, MSNBC is heavily focused on politics as they used to say..."The Place for Politics." Neither focuses on black issues. So, I'd totally disagree with you that those channels are liberal and black. They may jump on some story after a ground swell.

As far as being a black liberal network, don't you think we need economic and social improvements? You can't be conservative if you want society to progress. Most of us are conservative on some things and liberal on others.

Conservatives are fighting progress of some.

We can have our own thing. But, we need to stay independent and neutral. We need to stop begging people to do things for us, when we can do it ourselves.

What you're talking about is community journalism.

There are a bunch of non-profit websites (with actual journalists) that specialize in covering neighborhoods (and hyperlocal/national/state issues) and perspectives that people often can't get from corporate sources. One of my good friends is an editor of a site like that.

It's important that the public support these entities financially to keep them going, though.

If BNC had made it a few more weeks, the slap could have boosted their viewership.
We can have our own thing. But, we need to stay independent and neutral. We need to stop begging people to do things for us, when we can do it ourselves.

All some of these low-level so called pro-black YouTubers do is insult whoever is more popular than them.

Last edited:
Where is Roland Martin at to come save these people that was working at this network with his Black Star Network

Where is Roland Martin at to come save these people that was working at this network with his Black Star Network
BNC actually approached him before they launched and offered him 85k to do a 30 minute show lol… he laughed and said call back when you have a serious offer …

Back