Black College Football !!!!

stefan565

I am an "Ole G". I grew up watching Swac Foot ball in the late 60's and early 70's. The talent level and coaching has fallen so much since then. Surely it has to be more than the recruitment of black players to White schools.

I know that some of you are too young to know what I am talking about. But can anyone give me a reason for the falling off of Black College Football?

We do not fair well when we play outside of our conference.

Back in the 60's and 70's the PWC's that recruited Blacks only did so in limited numbers. Most of the Blacks who were at these schools were probally starters and nobody at that time would have more than 3 of 4 blacks playing on either side of the ball at the same time. They were not going to give a scholarship to a Black player to ride the bench for 4 years. This mentality also existed in all three professional sports at that time. Therefore, there was plenty of talent for all of us to not worry about having quality athletes. Also virtually all Blacks coaching college football and basketball were at HBCU's. In today's world even the worst 1AA and D2 PWC programs have larger athletic budgets than us and we problally don't even come closr to matching thier coaching salaries. The basketball coach at Tennessee Chattanooga was probally making more than $200k than the highest paid HBCU football coach. you can just imagine how much he is making at Auburn now. There are even high school head coaches making more than HBCU head coaches.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back