Big South-OVC Football Association Enter into New Enhanced Agreement

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
After a successful first season of competition for the Big South-Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) Football Association, the Board of Presidents and Chancellors of the nine regionally-aligned member institutions have solidified their commitment to each other with a new enhanced agreement that will provide an opportunity to extend the original partnership through 2030 and beyond.

This agreement, which strengthens the structure between the FCS-committed institutions, is intended to provide all members access to the automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Football Championship Playoffs, long-term stability, and a competitive league schedule. All teams will play eight Association games this season, renewing established rivalries and sparking new ones.

The original agreement, signed in February 2022, provided for Association play from 2023 through 2026. The new agreement, approved unanimously by all participating presidents and chancellors, now adds a “look-in” provision following the initial four-year term, which was to end after the 2026 season, for an additional four years, to provide institutions added membership certainty and stability.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I agree with the people that have said that the SWAC does not need this and given the small number of MEAC football schools travel cost would increase on both sides (making this not worth it). The only way that I feel that this would work is the MEAC had more schools and the SWAC and MEAC would function as divisions with limited cross play. The benefit is that the SWAC\MEAC would actually own the championship game, thus cutting out the middle man with the celebration bowl.

Back