Best LSU duo?

GSUperTiger

The "Icon" of BCF
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney06/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2387367

Andy Katz writes that Davis and Thomas are better than the Shaq O'Neal and Roberts combination. I beg to differ. Stanley Roberts was much more polished than Shaq, just lacked Shaq's athleticism and agility. Although Shaq and Roberts did not win (lost to the juggernant Kenny Anderson and the Ramblin Wreck), this duo were better on both sides the ball.

Man, Dale Brown messed up arguably the best talent college basketball has ever seen.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have to agree with Katz. Davis and Thomas are better than Roberts and Oneal. Shaq and Stanley could not get past round 2 in the big dance. All that talent on that team and nothing to show for it.

Katz is absolutely right in this piece, Davis and Thomas are a better combo than Shaq and Roberts. Shaq and Roberts never coexisted well because they were so similar (which is why "twin tower" type combos are rarely successful), whereas the styles of Davis and Thomas compliment each other. Well I suppose it didn't help that Roberts was a player of marginal talent, and he unfortunately played in the NBA at a time where centers were required to have actual ability (of course in today's game he would make 5 mil a year, but I digress :D ).

mighty hornet said:
ummmm

sorry but Stanley Roberts had little to no skills. He was just big

Stanley Roberts had advanced skills in College. What he didn't have was heart, motivation or conditioning.

And I disagree with Katz. This LSU team is a product of its time. They wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round when Shaq and CJ were playing. Remember that LSU team lost by a narrow margin to a very good Ga Tech team that year(Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson). They'd roll thru this year's tourney.

C-LeB28 said:
Did Chris Jackson and Shaq years at LSU overlap?

If I'm not mistaken they played together for one season before Chris went pro. I too can't believe they didn't win it all. Shaq, Roberts, Chris, Vernell Singelton, some guard from Mass. who could lite it up, and the list goes on.

JSU/99 said:
Stanley Roberts had advanced skills in College. What he didn't have was heart, motivation or conditioning.

And I disagree with Katz. This LSU team is a product of its time. They wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round when Shaq and CJ were playing. Remember that LSU team lost by a narrow margin to a very good Ga Tech team that year(Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson). They'd roll thru this year's tourney.

No they wouldn't. Dale Brown was their coach.

JSU/99 said:
This LSU team is a product of its time. They wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round when Shaq and CJ were playing.
I agree. Hell, they barely made it out of the second round this go 'round.

A little off-topic but my favorite LSU combo was "Hi-C" Carter and Rudy Macklin. Dynamic wing players. I also happened to like Dwayne Scales as well. However, my favorite LSU player of all time was John Williams. He was unstoppable inside. Unfortunately, he couldn't stop eating while in the NBA.

GSUperTiger said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney06/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2387367

Andy Katz writes that Davis and Thomas are better than the Shaq O'Neal and Roberts combination. I beg to differ. Stanley Roberts was much more polished than Shaq, just lacked Shaq's athleticism and agility. Although Shaq and Roberts did not win (lost to the juggernant Kenny Anderson and the Ramblin Wreck), this duo were better on both sides the ball.

Man, Dale Brown messed up arguably the best talent college basketball has ever seen.
Wow, you know a basketball program is traditionless (thanks GSUper) when the name Stanley Roberts is used as a benchmark for excellence. :lmao:

I guess it is a Baton Rouge thing! :lol:

Go Bruins! :D

*Please forgive me moderators. I could not resist*

GramFan said:
A little off-topic but my favorite LSU combo was "Hi-C" Carter and Rudy Macklin. Dynamic wing players. I also happened to like Dwayne Scales as well. However, my favorite LSU player of all time was John Williams. He was unstoppable inside. Unfortunately, he couldn't stop eating while in the NBA.

John Williams and the late Don Redden of Monroe's Ouachita High was a good one-two punch during the 1986 season. Both could light it up and had the ability to play inside or outside...Especially John Williams who was super talented. (Just couldn't keep the weight off in the league). A lot of folk may not remember Redden ( I must admit that I don't follow LSU basketball in any great detail, either) but Don Redden was a "hoss" and John Williams was talent personafied with multiple skills. As collegians, I give these two guys the edge over all the others.

GramFan said:

You hit the nail on the head bruh, and when you throw in Ethan Martin, easily LSU's best 3 headed monster.

In defense of Dale Brown though, very few coaches have been able to win with overly talented teams, if it was just a product of talent, Dean Smith would've walked away with more than just 2 national titles, Jim Boeheim would've won several titles in 80's, and not the one he won with a young, and slightly above average team that he won with 3 years ago, and Bobby Cremins would've had a title before he left the game.

Sometimes coaches on the college level just can't put everything together, when there's just too much talent. Even Guy Lewis with that monster he had in Houston, couldn't win it all.

NICE

SAME OLD G said:
Wow, you know a basketball program is traditionless (thanks GSUper) when the name Stanley Roberts is used as a benchmark for excellence. :lmao:
:snicker:
You shole is right SOGGY

Can't believe folks are trying to prop him up as if he was good.
:smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SAME OLD G said:

I guess it is a Baton Rouge thing! :lol:

Go Bruins! :D

*Please forgive me moderators. I could not resist*

NBA 50 Greatest

1) Shaquille O'Neal LSU
2) Bob Petit LSU
3) Pete Maravich LSU

1) Bill Walton ucla
2) Kareem Jabbar ucla

SO* & MH.........feel free to complete the ucla list those are the only bruins on the list that I'm familiar with. :retard: :lol:

mighty hornet said:
ummm JROCK,
You REALLY ought not want to go there.
National championships. PLURAL
Nuff posted.

Hell MH, you would have done fine just to say championship (without the "s") and you would have still been right. :lol:

SAME OLD G said:
Hell MH, you would have done fine just to say championship (without the "s") and you would have still been right. :lol:
:lol::lol:
:lol::lol:

but SOGGY,
surely the great Stanley Roberts led 'em to a couple of titles. Didn't he?
:scared:

SAME OLD G said:

That's par for the course............divert from "player benchmark" and mh hold on to your gonads for dear life (but I digress). :lol: :emlaugh:

JROCK said:
That's par for the course............divert from "player benchmark"
if this was about golf or tennis, then you just might would have a point (and that would be a first) :lol:

but this is about a team sport. And comparing LSU's bball history to UCLA's is beyond _ _ _.

(but I digress).
You should

normally I would say "carry on" here, but I'm hoping you won't carry on with the foolishness of trying to prop up LSU's history on the hardcourt as better than UCLA's.

sheesh!
:smh:

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Did Chris Jackson make it in to the league or did his disease hinder him?

Yes Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (CJ) played in the league. He changed Doctors and medication and hasn't been the same since they started screwing with it. Dale Brown was on WWL following the LSU men's win in the Elite Eight last week. He had interesting comments on advising Shaq and CJ about going pro which is why I respect Dale.

Tourette's Syndrome had 33% chance of getting worst, another third getting better, or a third staying the same. CJ was already the best shooting guard in the NCAA's by percentage. Dale told him to go for it because you never know.... Those lSU faithful sent ol Dale death threats bout that one because they wanted the national championship.

Shaq was getting beat up with the ol Hack-A-Shaq philosophy and the refs weren't calling most of them, so instead of allowing Shaq to get beat up or worst yet, Shaq's temper get him labelled as uncontrollable and incorrigible, Dale told him to get the $$$. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Say what you want about Dale, but those boys loved the man! Ask Ethan Martin, Rudy Macklin, Hi-C and let's not forget about the two freshman on that 1981 team, Leonard Mitchell and Johnny Jones. The sixth man, Willie Sims and Big Greg Cook! Those boys adored the DALE.

Roberts did not have the heart, but he had the tools. In a 2 on 2 game, O'Neal/Roberts win 7 out of 10 over Davis/Thomas.

Back