Bass Reeves….Western Fans

It's way past time that this story and others was told or excuse me, my apologies, retold more truthfully as we already know, us brothers were very much Cowboys and the inspiration for the Lone Ranger and all them other western cats. It's amazing how in everything, they take our history and credit themselves so that generations coming up will never know, understand, and recognize.

They better ask somebody before we go "Deadwood Dick" on this mug. Nat Love, look him up too...

Opps my bad, I got a little carried away. I've been living in Memphis a little too long now...LOL

Last edited:
Just wondering, but what is this trend of having non African Americans playing African Americans? I love seeing Black people in these roles, but there's still something there.

That is the thing that irks me a tad. It seems like Hollywood seek out blacks from Great Britain/Europe in too many rolls for my liking. I haven’t done any research, but just wonder if the opportunities are lacking in Europe for blacks and they turn to the U.S. market.

Last edited:
Yep. I don't understand what it is, but there's something there.
Back in the 70's it was said that African-American MLB players were too demanding and outspoken. As the passage of time went by, some of us noticed more and more blacks from the Caribbean started making their way into league while our numbers were dwindling. It also didn't get by us how the design of newer ball parks were built to lessen the need for fast players in the outfield. I'm like many, in that, I don't think it was mere coincidence.

Is the same happening in certain quarters of cinema now, highly likely. It seems there will always be those in power that take real issue with us just for being alive.

Just wondering, but what is this trend of having non African Americans playing African Americans? I love seeing Black people in these roles, but there's still something there.

That is the thing that irks me a tad. It seems like Hollywood seek out blacks from Great Britain/Europe in too many rolls for my liking. I haven’t done any research, but just wonder if the opportunities are lacking in Europe for blacks and they turn to the U.S. market.
Yall, don't get me started on this topic. This irks the hell out of me. Hell, we can't tell our own damn stories. Samuel L. Jackson brought this subject up when the movie Get Out was released.

The real solution is for more brothers and sisters to own production companies so they can do their own casting. I know for a fact blacks have been saying what I just typed for more than fifty years. We all might want to let the negative energy on this go, and channel it into something positive. If enough black actors in 2023/2024 still don't care enough to pool and leverage resources in their favor to control their circumstances why should the rest of us? Ownership solves the problem, they know it!

The real solution is for more brothers and sisters to own production companies so they can do their own casting. I know for a fact blacks have been saying what I just typed for more than fifty years. We all might want to let the negative energy on this go, and channel it into something positive. If enough black actors in 2023/2024 still don't care enough to pool and leverage resources in their favor to control their circumstances why should the rest of us? Ownership solves the problem, they know it!
Exactly

It's interesting see the recent emergence of Bass Reeves name and legacy since I've retired. For years, due to being a black history buff and my choice of profession, he was and remains one of my heroes. I can't begin to imagine the resolve it took for him to look past the racial taunts of criminals, his fellow marshals and the rest of the white populace in his day and time. To go from enslavement to U.S. Marshal to historical figure and remain so is a hell of journey.

I think I'll purchase some of that rough cut bourbon and drink to that.

Back