Basketball is life for coaching couple

Olde Hornet

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060308/NEWS/603080324/1001

You can read the entire article at the above link.

Basketball is life for coaching couple

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

Alabama State basketball coaches Freda Freeman-Jackson and husband, Lewis, have lives that revolve around basketball and their daughter, Bianca.

From November to April, Lewis Jackson spends his evenings pretty much the same way.

He strolls through the door at his Deer Creek home around 6:30 and makes his way to the living room, where some HGTV show is usually on the television. He channel surfs until he finds a basketball game that he and his wife, Freda Freeman-Jackson, can agree on.

She takes her seat on the couch. He takes his seat in the recliner. Together, they spend the night breaking down the game.

Welcome to the world of a husband-and-wife head coaching duo, the only one in Division I-A, right here in Montgomery at Alabama State University.

Jackson is in his first season running the men's program. Freeman-Jackson is in her eighth season leading the women's team. Despite low expectations, both teams head to Birmingham for this week's SWAC tournament in fourth place in the conference standings.

For the couple, life is basketball. They know it. They like it that way.

"I think a lot of people would be surprised by just how much basketball we watch," Jackson said, laughing. "But when we're home here together, we always have a game on. It's something we enjoy doing together -- watching the games and breaking down plays. During the season, the TV isn't on anything else. Well, except when I'm not here. That's when Freda gets in her HGTV."

I think if they pitched it to espn they could have the asu men's and women's basketball teams on 'the season.' it would be intresting to follow the teams and watch the dynamics of a coaching couple. something you can't find anywhere else in DI basketball.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Nothing like breaking down a game with someone who understands. Good for them. :tup:

However, I don't wanna discuss much about my job when I get home. I need the mental break.

I think he's saying that this post is kind of redundant with the same angle from the same stories...

We're not knocking the Jacksons for what they're doing...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
this can be a good thing or a bad thing.... what happens when one of the coaches goes downhill and gets fired? Does the other one resign? I saw the same thing happen at TN State with Coach Reese and his wife.... he was head football coach and she was head volleyball coach.

Dahill,
I wouldn't think that would be such a big issue, any more than normal.
Think about it, what would any coach do if the spouse gets fired from a job, and gets another job in another city or gets transferred to another city??

mighty hornet said:
Dahill,
I wouldn't think that would be such a big issue, any more than normal.
Think about it, what would any coach do if the spouse gets fired from a job, and gets another job in another city or gets transferred to another city??

thats exactly what Im talking about.... what if one starts doing real well.... the other doing real bad..... the one doing bad gets fired and hired in another city...... is the one doing good going to stay or go?

DAHILL said:
thats exactly what Im talking about.... what if one starts doing real well.... the other doing real bad..... the one doing bad gets fired and hired in another city...... is the one doing good going to stay or go?

first, most of us central bamas assume that's not going to be the case. that they'll continue to win be first or 2nd every year (2nd to the corn of course on odd years, they can have the even ones) and be fixtures in bama state coaching for the next 20 years. however when I was a student at alcorn we had a coaching duo in shirly walker and her husband lonnie. well, I'm sure you've noticed that lonnie ain't there anymore....and they're still married. he's the coach at local high school. there are other coaching opportunities in central alabama. i'm sure auburn would make room on their coaching staff for either one.

major095 said:
first, most of us central bamas assume that's not going to be the case. that they'll continue to win be first or 2nd every year (2nd to the corn of course on odd years, they can have the even ones) and be fixtures in bama state coaching for the next 20 years. however when I was a student at alcorn we had a coaching duo in shirly walker and her husband lonnie. well, I'm sure you've noticed that lonnie ain't there anymore....and they're still married. he's the coach at local high school. there are other coaching opportunities in central alabama. i'm sure auburn would make room on their coaching staff for either one.

You took words out of my mouth. I was going to say same thing about Alcorn. He was there and they have been married for years. I am not sure that would happen for them in Auburn, however.

Back