Bama State... what the HECK is going on over there?

jag4life

ASU Board places new president on paid leave

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -
An unexpected meeting of the Executive Committee of the Alabama State University Board of Trustees was called Monday to which the university's new president was summoned. When the closed door meeting was over, Dr. Joseph H. Silver, who's only been ASU's president since September, found himself on paid administrative leave.

Dr. Silver, who spoke with WSFA 12 News moments after the meeting concluded, said he stumbled onto "something" and was told to back off. He said he was not caught off guard by Monday's decision, saying he's received emails and phone calls from individuals who were telling him he was, "raising too many questions, long established folk, be careful. Because they have long friendships, and they're going to try to bring you down. "

Silver would not address specifics, though he added "right is right", and he had to do what's right for ASU's students.

Silver said that earlier Monday, "The Board indicated they wanted me to resign, and I told them that that was not going to be the case." Silver said he's done nothing that would require him to resign.

Silver said he'd been told, "I had interfered with relationships", but contends "the only relationships that I need to deal with is that of the University..."

Silver was even more surprised at what he called the Board's decision to place Executive Vice President John Knight in charge of day to day operations. Silver says he fired Knight, along with Vice President of University Relations Danielle Kennedy earlier in the day "for cause". He would not elaborate.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/20188647/asu-puts-new-president-on-leave-names-interim-president

ASU Board places new president on paid leave

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -
An unexpected meeting of the Executive Committee of the Alabama State University Board of Trustees was called Monday to which the university's new president was summoned. When the closed door meeting was over, Dr. Joseph H. Silver, who's only been ASU's president since September, found himself on paid administrative leave.

Dr. Silver, who spoke with WSFA 12 News moments after the meeting concluded, said he stumbled onto "something" and was told to back off. He said he was not caught off guard by Monday's decision, saying he's received emails and phone calls from individuals who were telling him he was, "raising too many questions, long established folk, be careful. Because they have long friendships, and they're going to try to bring you down. "

Silver would not address specifics, though he added "right is right", and he had to do what's right for ASU's students.

Silver said that earlier Monday, "The Board indicated they wanted me to resign, and I told them that that was not going to be the case." Silver said he's done nothing that would require him to resign.

Silver said he'd been told, "I had interfered with relationships", but contends "the only relationships that I need to deal with is that of the University..."

Silver was even more surprised at what he called the Board's decision to place Executive Vice President John Knight in charge of day to day operations. Silver says he fired Knight, along with Vice President of University Relations Danielle Kennedy earlier in the day "for cause". He would not elaborate.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/20188647/asu-puts-new-president-on-leave-names-interim-president

It does sound like he really stepped on a few toes. You cannot come in and start firing folks just two (2) months on the job without knowing all the politics behind how and why certain individuals were hired. I'm sure the individuals he wanted to fire were selected by top level individuals that hired him. If he is doing what is right, I hope he is successful in shaking things up. I'm sure all these HBCU Boards including Southern needs someone to come in and make gutsy decisions in get things back on the right track. A lot of these HBCU’s Administrative Boards have gotten complacent in making bad decisions without any reprimand just because their positions were more than likely a political decision made for a political favor. HBCU’s alumnus needs to become more involved in the politics behind the selection of board members that governs our schools. You should know as well as I know that a particular board member on Southern University System Board was never a popular pick by the SU community, but he stays on the Board because he was reappointed by Louisiana’s Governor Piyush “Bobby” Jindal.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Follow the money. Sounds like Silver is stepping on the good ole boy network of doing things and he wants to stop it. There's a few other schools that need Silver to step in and stop the administration from robbing the students/school. Stand strong Silver and don't quit. Make them call in federal authorities.

Robert Jennings came to A&M and said the same thing. Turned out he was doing wrong himself and banging faggots in his office. becareful of what these uppity educated folks do and say. They all corrupt!!!

If what Silver said is true, ASU could be placing their accreditation in jeopardy. A good way for a college or university to jeopardize its accreditation is by robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Last edited:
If what Silver said is true, ASU could be placing their accreditation in jeopardy. A good way for a college or university to jeopardize its accreditation is by robbing Peter to pay Paul.

What did he say at all other than he fired someone earlier in the day, and the board over-ruled him?

What did he say at all other than he fired someone earlier in the day, and the board over-ruled him?

From what I gather, it has to do with monies being misspent. A college or university places their accreditation in jeopardy when they use funds allocated for a specific use for something else.

On the steps of the Acadome, with 50 to 75 students gathered around, after telling them that he had been pressured to resign that morning, Silver insinuated strongly that money was being misspent at ASU. And he told the students that, "As this unravels, you'll figure it out. All you have to do is follow the money."

http://blog.al.com/montgomery/2012/11/news_about_asu_and_silver_a_da.html

Last edited:
I am actually just realizing that ASU has their own board... like Southern.

Lord, please don't let JSU ever get our own board.

Now, I see why GR keeps saying they need to let some white people come run that school.

Is this an all black board?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
All State schools in Alabama have their own boards.

Now, I see why GR keeps saying they need to let some white people come run that school.

What you just typed doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter if a school has its own board or not. The Governor of Alabama is the president of the ASU Board. I'm sure ASU is like Southern University where most Board members are politically appointed to the Board by White politicians. I'm sure decisions concerning Jackson State are made by White politicians on a different level. Also, Southern University has had and have White board members. You need to do your research before you type something totally out of place.

What you just typed doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter if a school has its own board or not. The Governor of Alabama is the president of the ASU Board. I'm sure ASU is like Southern University where most Board members are politically appointed to the Board by White politicians. I'm sure decisions concerning Jackson State are made by White politicians on a different level. Also, Southern University has had and have White board members. You need to do your research before you type something totally out of place.
The majority of the board (7) must be made up of ASU alumni and a majority must also be from the largest minority race within the state.

The Gov. makes the appointments and they must be approved by the Senate.

Either way, politicians are making the final decision on who is placed on the Board and I'm pretty sure they also have political influence when it comes to important decisions at ASU, such as who get major contracts at the university.

Last edited:
Back