Australian Open 2020

I know this probably had nothing to do with her winning or losing but I wish Serena could drop about 15 or maybe 20 pounds. But after having a baby and considering her age, that will be extremely difficult to do. I am not looking forward to the French Open. Although Serena has won it once or twice, but clay is not her best surface.

It's getting harder and harder for her to win that next Grand Slam and tie Margaret Court.

I know this probably had nothing to do with her winning or losing but I wish Serena could drop about 15 or maybe 20 pounds. But after having a baby and considering her age, that will be extremely difficult to do. I am not looking forward to the French Open. Although Serena has won it once or twice, but clay is not her best surface.
Its her worst slam by grand slam status but her record on clay is one of the best ever!

Australian Open 2020: Nadal's Win, Pliskova's Upset Highlight Saturday's Results

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...esults-highlights-scores-recap-from-melbourne

Australian Open - Saturday Results

Men's Draw

(1) Rafael Nadal bt. Pablo Carreno Busta: 6-1, 6-2, 6-4

(4) Daniil Medvedev bt. Alexei Popyrin: 6-4, 6-3, 6-2

(5) Dominic Thiem bt. (29) Taylor Fritz: 6-2, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-4

(7) Alexander Zverev bt. Fernando Verdasco: 6-2, 6-2, 6-4

(10) Gael Monfils bt. Ernests Gulbis: 7-6 (2), 6-4, 6-3

(15) Stanislas Wawrinka bt. (19) John Isner: 6-4, 4-1 (ret.)

(17) Andrey Rublev bt. (11) David Goffin: 2-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4, 7-6 (4)

(23) Nick Kyrgios bt. Karen Khachanov: 6-2, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (6), 6-7 (7), 7-6 (
8)

Women's Draw

(30) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova bt. (2) Karolina Pliskova: 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3)

(4) Simona Halep bt. Yulia Putintseva: 6-1, 6-4

Garbine Muguruza bt. (5) Elina Svitolina: 6-1, 6-2

(28) Anett Kontaveit bt. (6) Belinda Bencic: 6-0, 6-1

(9) Kiki Bertens bt. Zarina Dyas: 6-2, 7-6 (3)

(16) Elise Mertens bt. Cici Bellis: 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-0

(17) Angelique Kerber bt. Camila Giorgi: 6-2, 6-7 (4), 6-3

Iga Swiatek bt. (19) Donna Vekic: 7-5, 6-3

Australian Open 2020 Results: Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Sunday Winners

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ger-federer-novak-djokovic-and-sunday-winners

Australian Open Results—Men's Singles Fourth Round

(2) Novak Djokovic def. (14) Diego Schwartzman: 6-3, 6-4, 6-4

(3) Roger Federer def. Marton Fucsovics: 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-2

(32) Milos Raonic def. Marin Clinic: 6-4, 6-3, 7-5

Tennys Sandgren def. (12) Fabio Fognini: 7-6 (5), 7-5, 6-7 (2), 6-4

Australian Open Results—Women's Singles Fourth Round

(1) Ashleigh Barty def. (18) Alison Riske: 6-3, 1-6, 6-4

(14) Sofia Kenin def. Coco Gauff: 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-0

Novak Djokovic def. Diego Schwartzman
Modify message

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-monday-bracket-winners-scores-and-top-stats

Australian Open 2020 Results: Monday Bracket Winners, Scores and Top Stats

Australian Open - Monday Results

Men's Draw

(1) Rafael Nadal bt. (23) Nick Kyrgios: 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (4)

(15) Stanislas Wawrinka bt. (4) Daniil Medvedev: 6-2, 2-6, 4-6, 7-6 (2), 6-2

(5) Dominic Thiem bt. (10) Gael Monfils: 6-2, 6-4, 6-4

(7) Alexander Zverev bt. (17) Andrey Rublev: 6-4, 6-4, 6-4

Women's Draw

(4) Simona Halep bt. (16) Elise Mertens: 6-4, 6-4

Garbine Muguruza bt. (9) Kiki Bertens: 6-3, 6-3

(30) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova bt. (17) Angelique Kerber: 6-7 (5), 7-6 (4), 6-2

(28) Anett Kontaveit bt. Iga Swiatek: 6-7 (4), 7-5, 7-5

Roger had a tough match today.

Australian Open 2020 Results: Tuesday Bracket Winners, Scores and Top Stats

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-tuesday-bracket-winners-scores-and-top-stats

Monday's Quarter-Final Results

Men's Singles

(2) Novak Djokovic bt. (32) Milos Raonic: 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (1)

(3) Roger Federer bt. Tennys Sandgren: 6-3, 2-6, 2-6, 7-6 (
8)
, 6-3

Women's Singles

(1) Ashleigh Barty bt. (7) Petra Kvitova: 7-6 (6), 6-2

(14) Sofia Kenin bt. Ons Jabeur: 6-4, 6-4

Visit the Australian Open website to see the full results.

American woman in the finals, not named Serena!

:clap:

Kenin holds nerve to crush Barty dreams

https://ausopen.com/articles/match-report/kenin-holds-nerve-crush-barty-dreams

Sofia Kenin broke the hearts of a nation after holding her nerve to end Ash Barty’s dreams of Australian Open glory, taking out the top seed 7-6(6) 7-5 in a nail-biting semifinal.

Barty - who was bidding to become the first women’s Australian Open finalist since Wendy Turnbull in 1980 and the first to do so since the tournament moved to Melbourne Park - had coped admirably with the pressure all fortnight, but in Kenin she was up against a fearless 21-year-old who looks set to become one of the game’s new stars.

Kenin is enjoying a superb tournament, and she had already shown the ability to deal with a big occasion when she knocked Coco Gauff out in the fourth round. She will now look forward to a first Grand Slam final and a place in the top 10 when the tournament ends.

Muguruza hunts down Halep to reach AO2020 final

https://ausopen.com/articles/match-report/muguruza-hunts-down-halep-reach-ao2020-final

Garbine Muguruza survived a tug-o-war with world No.3 Simona Halep on Thursday to reach her first Grand Slam final in two-and-a-half years, and her first at the Australian Open.

The Venezuelan-born Spaniard, unseeded at a major for the first time since 2014, needed two hours and five minutes to overcome Halep 7-6(
8)
7-5 and set up a final showdown against No.14 seed Sofia Kenin.

She brought her aggressive brand of tennis to Rod Laver Arena, winning 20/30 net points and striking 39 winners.

The 32nd-ranked Muguruza battled back from a break in the second set and broke Halep as she was serving for it to maintain her clean record against the Romanian on hard courts.

Novak flicks Federer aside to make decider

https://ausopen.com/articles/match-report/novak-flicks-federer-aside-make-decider

Defending champion Novak Djokovic ruled the 50th instalment of his rivalry with Roger Federer 7-6(1) 6-4 6-3 to book an eighth Australian Open final on Thursday night.

The world No.2, who hasn’t lost in Grand Slam action to Federer since Wimbledon 2012, improved his record to 27-23 facing the Swiss.

The 16-time major champion has only surrendered one set at AO2020 en route to Sunday’s final, where he will meet either Dominic Thiem or Alexander Zverev.

“It definitely could have gone a different way, because he started really well and I was pretty nervous in the beginning,” admitted Djokovic, before paying tribute to his physically hampered opponent.

Thiem topples Zverev to reach first AO final

A 1960s Neil Diamond classic often sung on top note in Austrian après ski bars has helped lift Dominic Thiem past a resilient Alexander Zverev to reach his maiden Australian Open final.

Proving his four-hour-plus heroics against world No.1 Rafael Nadal were no flash in the pan at a slam, the fifth seed prevailed 3-6 6-4 7-6(3) 7-6(4) to set a showdown with seven-time champion Novak Djokovic.

Womens final

Day 13 preview: The women’s final we should have seen coming .
:no:

https://ausopen.com/articles/news/day-13-preview-womens-final-we-should-have-seen-coming

At first look, a Grand Slam women’s final between Sofia Kenin – a player ranked outside the top 10 who has never been beyond the fourth round and a major – and world No.32 Garbine Muguruza could be considered as unexpected as they come.

But dive a little deeper, and it begins to make a lot more sense.

The Australian Open 2020 women’s decider on Saturday night pits a two-time Grand Slam champion in Muguruza against one of the game’s most in-form, fastest-rising stars in Kenin.

We examine how we got to this point.

CONGRATULATIONS Sofia Kenin

Looks like American women's tennis will survive past the Williams era.

Twice Kenin was down love - 40 and came back and won the game!
:o

Major breakthrough: Kenin masters Muguruza for title
:popcorn:

https://ausopen.com/articles/match-report/major-breakthrough-kenin-masters-muguruza-title

American Sofia Kenin has broken through for her maiden Grand Slam singles title, coming from a set down to beat two-time major winner Garbine Muguruza 4-6 6-2 6-2 in the women’s singles final of Australian Open 2020 on Saturday night.

The 21-year-old, in her first major final, overwhelmed the Spaniard after relinquishing the opening set, the 14th seed winning in two hours and three minutes to claim the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Trophy.

CONGRATULATIONS NOVAK Djokovic

Djokovic topples Thiem to win eighth AO title

https://ausopen.com/articles/match-report/djokovic-topples-thiem-win-eighth-ao-title

A defiant Novak Djokovic claimed an unprecedented eighth Australian Open men’s singles title with a typically tenacious 6-4 4-6 2-6 6-3 6-4 triumph against Dominic Thiem on Sunday night to defend his title.

The Serbian is the first man in the Open Era to win Grand Slam singles titles across three decades, and will be rewarded by returning to the world No.1 ranking on Monday.

By lifting his 17th major over four hours of play, Djokovic edges closer to all-time leaders Roger Federer (20) and Rafael Nadal (19).

“This is definitely my favourite court, my favourite stadium in the world and I’m blessed to hold this trophy once again,” said Djokovic, who was adamant Thiem will join the Roll of Honour one day.

“I would like to congratulate Dominic on an amazing tournament, it wasn’t meant to be tonight. But you were very close to winning.

American / British combination!

https://ausopen.com/articles/match-report/ram-salisbury-dash-home-hopes-mens-doubles-final

Ram, Salisbury dash home hopes in men's doubles final

Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury reflected on the difficult times they endured in their respective journeys en route to their first Grand Slam men’s doubles title triumph – individually and as a team – at Melbourne Park on Sunday.

The 35-year-old Ram and 27-year-old Salisbury dashed home hopes by defeating Aussie wildcards Max Purcell and Luke Saville 6-4 6-2, dropping just seven points on serve and wrapping up the win in 70 minutes at Rod Laver Arena to be crowned Australian Open champions.

It’s been a long road for Ram, who switched his focus solely to doubles three years ago after a singles career that saw him peak at 56 in the world in 2016. The American lifted his first men’s doubles major title on his 58th appearance. It’s an Open Era record for most attempts before winning a Grand Slam men’s doubles trophy.

Ram lost his father last April to pancreatic cancer, and paid tribute to him after his success on Sunday.

“The last years have been tough for me. He was the one that started me in tennis. Played every day from when I could remember things until I was about 12 years old,” said the Olympic mixed doubles silver medallist.

Congrats again to Sofia Kenin for stepping up to the plate. Hopefully this is not a one and done. Maybe, one of the other American women will make a move in the other three Slams. The American women seem to have a bright future. I see some possibilities there.

American men? SMH. Well, never mind.

But any way, excellent tournament. Now on to the French Open (my least favorite Slam to watch).

Congrats again to Sofia Kenin for stepping up to the plate. Hopefully this is not a one and done. Maybe, one of the other American women will make a move in the other three Slams. The American women seem to have a bright future. I see some possibilities there.

American men? SMH. Well, never mind.

But any way, excellent tournament. Now on to the French Open (my least favorite Slam to watch).

Two american women not Williams have won majors in recent history, I dont see any american men winning anytime soon.

Back