Atlanta and black wealth: Success for many, but not for all

Success for many and hopefully there will be many, many more. Realistically, I doubt if all will be successful. That's just not how things work. Very good article however.

HUH??? Yall, please pardon my ignorance, but what the hell are you and @Storm96 talking about? Please don't take my comment the wrong way, but I am really curious as to what yall are referring to.
There are two very different segments of the black community in the District and close-in suburbs. There are a bunch of millennials with advanced degrees who moved here and are making six figure salaries. It has become its own subculture similar to what you see in Atlanta.
Then there are the black people who were born and raised in DC. Most of them have remained low income and in their own communities. Those who grow up in those neighborhoods and make it to Middle class normally leave the city or region. The black people moving into the city don't have roots here and are typically educated and semi-affluent.

and to be fully transparent, I am a millenial that moved to DC and got an advanced degree, etc... However, I do a lot of work in those communities professionally so I have gotten to see both worlds. Those two worlds have entirely different views about the city. I will tell you that I love DC but I realize the DC I live and play in is a lot different than the cat who spent his entire life in Benning Terrace.

Bingo @jsupop33 As someone who grew up in the old ATL it is totally different. I see all the sides of Atlanta because I see the old side, the street side and the Hollywood/Hollyhood side. I understand what @Storm96 is saying. I laugh when people try to tell me about my city. I'm like nikker please I'm from Bankhead when Bankhead was Bankhead. Not the Bankhead after the Olympics. I remember when Calender Rd was all white. I remember when DeKalb county was considered having money. I remember when SW DeKalb was a corpstyle band. I remember when Turner High and Archer High had real bands. When my cousin MC Shy D was the hottest rapper on the Eastside of Atlanta. When MoJo the first rapper out of Atlanta to sign a major contract who's from Eagon homes signed. Naker I remember when Jeezy was a lil shawty try to get on the court and play basketball with us at Carter G Woodson rec center. He's still a lil shawty to me. That's my dude. I remember when Silk was doing talent shows and we use to all hangout at KFC on Ashby St. I remember when Jermaine Dupree was a DJ. When Luda was Chris lover lova and a DJ. I remember when Moseley Park was the hottest park going. When all the real hustlers hung at Maddox park on Bankhead on Sunday evenings and if you weren't a gangster or had cats to vouch for you left before dark... I remember when Mechanicsville was trap city. I remember when Capital Homes was the G spot. I remember when Techwood Homes was across the street from Georgia Tech. I remember when Morris Brown had one of the baddest bands in HBCU land and before KKPsi they AUC had Hound Phi Hound. I'm just saying. Like one of my boys who's been in Atlanta for I guess 20 years or so messed around and tried to correct one of my cousins one time when he said Bankhead, then Jim said you mean Donald Lee Howell. Lol Never, ever tell a person from Bankhead they're from Donald Lee Howell your azz will get cussed out. ~snicker~. I remember when Bobby Brown came up in Bankhead Courts talking shyt trying to buy some weed and got his white Jaguar shot up. It happened so quick. I was just talking to him went in my boy Cujo crib and all I heard was that uzzi riding.... I could go on and on but you get the point. I remember when I use to play tennis against Bo Young, Andrew Young son. When my pops use to take over Fat Jack house aka Maynard Jackson. When Marvin Arrington wife was my homeroom teacher. Having conversations with MLK sister when we all lived on Ashby St. I remember when Correta Scott King stayed in Vinecity and we would respect her. When walking by the house if we were having a conversation talking loud you cut it off. If you disrespected her them old G's would have you pushing up flowers at Westview cemetery. Every time I ride by West View I get tears in my eyes. So many lives cut short early. Thank God for watching over fools and babies as the old folks use to say because it could have been me and mines .

Last edited:
and I am sure its happening in other cities that young black professionals are flocking to also.
My only problem is when the younger generation doesn't pay respect to who started it all. Maynord Jackson was one of, if not the smartest black mayor's to ever hold office in America. He made sure that all major contracts coming out of the city of Atlanta would have at least 10% of minorities on it. He knew the doors that alone would make and that white Southerners didn't have the good sense to see it at that time. See 10% seemed so small at the time that the rednecks laughed. They were like how dumb can you be to settle for that number. So they agreed. If he had said 20% plus percent being greedy they would have caught on. Jackson knew that Atlanta was growing and that in 1970 yeah 10% of million dollar contracts were small, but now we are talking 10% of billion dollar contracts. White folks want that city back so they can erase that and make it so the rednecks can have it all. I was telling this young black Republican this and that fool said it needs to be fair to white folks. SMH I told him fool white folks don't have the word fair in their vocabulary.

Last edited:

No, I cannot watch those kind of shows. I tried once to watch, but 2 minutes of that bs and I have to change the channel.
Aye don't pay me any attention. As the country boys say "I'm just sitting here swallowing spit, talking shyt". Lol now I'm serious about the maynord Jackson part though.

This is a very interesting comment. Thanks for pointing that out.

That's all over the U.S. though (common knowledge). It is what it is. You either make the transition, get out of the way or get rolled over...Unless politicians get involved with gentrification and legislate, the trend is going to continue. Most people don't give a rat's azz about the foundation of greatness or hood stories (most folks are running away from that foolishness)......LOL

Last edited:
Have you ever seen Atlanta housewives? SMH. Everyone wants to be one now. Even the booty boys. Smh

Most people I know find that show repulsive.....LOL There is nearly 2 million black folks in Metro Atlanta and I'm sure most folks don't give a shit about that show here....

Last edited:
Back