ASU president still waiting

Jafus (Thinker)

ASU president still waiting

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWS/StorySportsasuprobe17o.htm

More than three weeks ago, Alabama State University president Joe Lee said he expected the university's investigation into its football program to be over within two weeks.

Though that deadline has passed, Lee said on Wednesday he still is hopeful the end is near. The investigation, sparked by a letter written by former assistant coach Dedrick Bell late last year, is now in its eighth month. Bell accused ASU head coach L.C. Cole and some of his assistants of recruiting violations.

"I just want it to be over with soon," Lee said of the investigation.

However, Lee said he hasn't received a report from attorney Robert Clayton, who is handling the investigation for ASU, and he hasn't been in contact with Clayton.

"I haven't talked with him," Lee said. "I do hope to have his report very soon."

While the length and depth of the investigation has touched a nerve with some ASU fans, Southwestern Athletic Conference commissioner Robert Vowels said Wednesday afternoon his office was pleased with the way things have been handled.

"They've had significant contact with us throughout this ordeal," he said. "I would have to say that we're happy with the way they've gone about things."

Vowels said he didn't want to comment on statements made recently by two ASU Board of Trustees members, who said they felt as if the investigation was a "witch hunt." He also declined to comment when asked if he felt the same way.

"It would just be an opinion," Vowels said. "You know about opinions. Everyone has one. I think we should just wait until all of this has played out before voicing concern. Once it's over with we can be concerned."

Vowels, who recommended Clayton to ASU officials, said Clayton has contacted his office several times.

"He needed some documents that we had here pertaining to eligibility," Vowels said. "We made copies of everything that we have and sent them."

Athletic directors from every NCAA institution are required to fill out eligibility and certification forms, or squad lists, prior to every game to certify the players are eligible to participate. Copies of those forms are then sent to the conference office.

As the investigation has dragged on, some SWAC fans and alumni have called it an embarrassment for the conference. Vowels called it a lesson.

"We are all learning a valuable lesson here," he said. "Compliance and eligibility issues are a very important part of college athletics. I hope every school in this conference learns something from all of this."

Vowels said he wasn't concerned that the investigation has lasted eight months and added, "I understand from talking with (ASU officials) that they're beginning to make some headway as of late."

Vowels did say he would like to see the investigation end before the start of the football season. The SWAC Media Day is scheduled for Aug. 2 in Birmingham and players can report Aug. 4.

"I think everyone is hopeful that there will be some type of resolution to this before we kick off," Vowels said. "We need to have some closure to this before that time."

Asked if he felt like the investigation could be completed before the season, Lee said, "I hope so. That's what we're working. We would definitely like to do that."

While Lee and Vowels are hoping for the end to come, Clayton continues to head into different territory.

On Tuesday, Clayton said he was searching for 20 or more players that came to ASU on unofficial visits over the past few years.

"We're having trouble tracking down several players that made unofficial visits to ASU," he said. "I've got a dragnet out for about 20 or more players."

Clayton also said he's considering bringing in a private investigator to help track down some of the players.

"There's a guy in New York that specializes in locating people," he said. "He can track them down when all normal means of locating someone have been exhausted."

Back