Are We All On The Same Page??

G-QUE

This week in the SWAC

Conference deals with self-made controversy

Scott Ferrell / The Times
Posted on September 1, 2003

Sometimes the toughest controversies to deal with are the ones you make yourself.

That is exactly what the Southwestern Athletic Conference found itself in last week.

When The Football Network announced 50 players to play in the first Division I-AA College Football All-Star Classic, only one athlete - Grambling wide receiver Tramon Douglas - was from the SWAC.

SWAC Assistant Commissioner/Media Relations Wallace Dooley was rightly miffed.

However, Dooley fired off an e-mail to media members and that's where the controversy began.

Dooley was particularly incensed that the two teams in the All-Star Classic were named after former Grambling coach Eddie Robinson and former Jackson State great Walter Payton and yet the SWAC had such little representation.

Dooley also charged that the selection process had not included calling the SWAC office or checking with the conference Web site. His e-mail ended with the words, "hidden racism."

Two days later, SWAC Commissioner Robert Vowels sent out his own e-mail saying he did not support Dooley's e-mail. Dooley also said he did not support the "hidden racism" comment and that the SWAC fully supports the I-AA College Football Classic.

Vowels' e-mail has put an end to that controversy

from www.shreveporttimes.com
:confused:

Originally posted by G-QUE

When The Football Network announced 50 players to play in the first Division I-AA College Football All-Star Classic, only one athlete - Grambling wide receiver Tramon Douglas - was from the SWAC.

But people said that a HBCU all star game wouldn't work. This is exactly why we need one. :idea:

I think our all-stars should play their all stars. I'm glad Commish Vowels just sent out his own e-mail rather than reaming out Dooley and then making him fire off an apologetic e-mail, if that wasn't what he truly felt.

Back