Are company Pensions and company sponsored retirements gone for ever?

CEE DOG

Are company Pensions and company sponsored retirements gone for ever? I can't think of anyone that still offers them. Does your company offer them?

I thought that happened about 20 years ago sans the folks who were grandfathered-in. There are some governments that still have pensions but most offer a employee-managed savings plan as well.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Some manufacturing plants still have them. I know two plants here in the Grambling that everybody and they momma trying to work for...:lol:

I thought that happened about 20 years ago sans the folks who were grandfathered-in. There are some governments that still have pensions but most offer a employee-managed savings plan as well.

True. Twenty-five years ago.

I remember talking about that in my accounting classes way back then when we were learning how to account for defined benefit and defined contribution plans.

Another reason that we must make sure that we've socked away enough money for our retirements. Companies are not going to do it for you. And the government may not be able to for much longer.

True. Twenty-five years ago.

I remember talking about that in my accounting classes way back then when we were learning how to account for defined benefit and defined contribution plans.

Another reason that we must make sure that we've socked away enough money for our retirements. Companies are not going to do it for you. And the government may not be able to for much longer.

Here in Louisiana Jindal sent close to 7,000 rank and file state workers packing since 2008. Most are from the LSU hospitals privatization deal.

If you can find a company that you like with a pension - you should go for it. There are a few around.

Their are many many companies out there that still offer pensions. You just need to know where to look. I am in the pharmaceutical industry, majority of the us based companies have stopped pensions for new employees. But if you look at some of the smaller pharmaceutical companies they still offer pensions as a means of making their compensation packages more attractive, and competitive with the larger pharma companies. Also, many of the foreign companies doing business in the us offer exceptional pension and profit sharing plans ie.. Japanese and Swiss companies are known for it. Although, these companies sometimes offer lower salaries with greater potential for performance based incentives. If a pension is something that is important to you in your long term financial plan, be diligent and do your research you will find many organizations that fit the bill. The key is to be sure you have the skill set they are seeking. Keep you journals on accomplishments, special projects, individual / team goals, ect...

I'm with a company that still offers pension.

Their are many many companies out there that still offer pensions. You just need to know where to look. I am in the pharmaceutical industry, majority of the us based companies have stopped pensions for new employees. But if you look at some of the smaller pharmaceutical companies they still offer pensions as a means of making their compensation packages more attractive, and competitive with the larger pharma companies. Also, many of the foreign companies doing business in the us offer exceptional pension and profit sharing plans ie.. Japanese and Swiss companies are known for it. Although, these companies sometimes offer lower salaries with greater potential for performance based incentives. If a pension is something that is important to you in your long term financial plan, be diligent and do your research you will find many organizations that fit the bill. The key is to be sure you have the skill set they are seeking. Keep you journals on accomplishments, special projects, individual / team goals, ect...

Back