AP African American studies course to be dropped in SC public schools

EB

I will say this: The more moves like these are made; The more the suggestion by Grambling grad Charles Blow makes sense (thread).

-----

SOUTH CAROLINA NEWS
AP African American studies course to be dropped in SC public schools
by: Elise Devlin

Posted: Jun 6, 2024 / 10:24 AM EDT
Updated: Jun 6, 2024 / 10:24 AM EDT

GREENVILLE, S.C. (WSPA) – The South Carolina Department of Education said AP African American studies will not be offered in the state’s schools anymore.

The decision comes after districts, like Greenville County Schools, wrapped up a two-year pilot program for the AP course.

The class was developed by College Board, a nonprofit that creates AP (Advanced Placement) courses taught across the country. According to a College Board overview, the course is a study of the diversity of black communities in the United States.

I am not a surprise that this was going to happen, but the question is will they cancel any AP Courses for any other "ethic" studies course in the state?

Probably not.

As most of those are already engrained in most schools.
You are not going to get rid of Spanish. Because most take that as their foreign course class.

The issue with that AA studies class is where will a kid be able to actually take it without screwing up the other required classes that they have?

Also if that class is like ours in Texas-you have to have a certified social studies teacher to teach it. Most schools can't hire another history teacher to just teach that class nor can the current ones add that course. At my school we want AA studies but no history teacher has a slot for it.

In North Carolina we have AP History Course in European History, but no AA studies and then we have 7 language and culture based courses (non associated with AA or African).

Our state districts have been gerrymander to Hell by the GOP, we had to rerun an election in one district because of voter fraud by republican who ended up ending his own life and his daughter turn in all his records that outline the GOP gerrymandering plans, and we have been having ongoing cases against the gerrymander for over 20 years. Instead of going for a constitutional amendment to stop gerrymandering the democratic leadership keeps telling people to go vote to fix the problem.

We do have other programs in the state that allows high schools students to take college courses for high school credit and various early college enrollment programs. St. Aug, a HBCU in the Raleigh NC, use to have the early enrollment program for that City but due to them losing their accreditation the program is is either going to be awarded to either North Carolina State or Shaw (a private HBCU).

I think honestly the best option for black people in the state is to enroll their children in the dual enrollment with either one of the community college or College\University that has an African Americans studies course. While those courses will not count as an AP course, it will count as high school credit and college credit.

The other option is to bring back summer programs that some HBCUs in the state had and incorporate local black history, HBCU history, and general AA history into the programs instead of being just about athletics or STEM learning.

In North Carolina we have AP History Course in European History, but no AA studies and then we have 7 language and culture based courses (non associated with AA or African).

Do those 7 count for the foreign language requirement (if you state has it?).

I think we have only one school that offers more than Spanish and French. The majority offer only Spanish but we have the options for others.

Do those 7 count for the foreign language requirement (if you state has it?).

I think we have only one school that offers more than Spanish and French. The majority offer only Spanish but we have the options for others.
Those 7 courses are classified as language courses, but they have cultural and history aspects to them for context. I was surprise that we had that many in our state, as when I was in high school, in the 90s, only Spanish and French was offered.

Back