Any other SWAC BB Coaches leaving?

why would I? not on here for sure....

I might've known in March what was going to happen....this is what the board is for, the folks who know lurk in the back, the ones who don't know speculate

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whitney, Stribling interested in openings

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

The men's basketball coaching carousel in the Southwestern Athletic Conference began last week.

Before it comes to a stop, there could be some very interesting twists and turns involving two Mississippi coaching icons, former Alcorn State coach Dave Whitney and current Mississippi Valley State coach Lafayette Stribling.

Whitney has emerged as one of the leading candidates at Prairie View. And Stribling is contemplating retiring from Valley to become Tougaloo's next coach.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050505/SPORTS030105/505050370

Hey Que said:
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whitney, Stribling interested in openings

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

The men's basketball coaching carousel in the Southwestern Athletic Conference began last week.

Before it comes to a stop, there could be some very interesting twists and turns involving two Mississippi coaching icons, former Alcorn State coach Dave Whitney and current Mississippi Valley State coach Lafayette Stribling.

Whitney has emerged as one of the leading candidates at Prairie View. And Stribling is contemplating retiring from Valley to become Tougaloo's next coach.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050505/SPORTS030105/505050370

Whitney needs to stay retired. PV needs more than an aged ICON to help their program. He was great when he was in his prime. But at his age, does he have the stamina to work with these kids. I aint thrilled with our (SU) hire but considering Whitney is just like SU bringing Jobe out of retirement again.

Now Strib can still coach. That is a good move for Tougaloo. Strib must want to retire and move close to Jackson. Good move for him. Collect a retirememt check from the State and a check from the private school Tougaloo. Sounds like a plan to me.

mighty hornet said:
ummm PV,
The man is 75 years old. Why not look for some kind of stability?

:snicker:

But I thought......

MH,
I said I aint thrilled. I am not going to bash Spivery because I thought ASU was well coached. I just thought we(SU) would take a longer look at all candidates after the Grant fiasco. But hey, I will support the man and give him an opportunity to see if he can do something with SU before passing judgement. I just like seeing new blood in the SWAC not swaping coaches. When I at SU or bball coach Bob Hoskins left us and went to GSU, then we got Ben Jobe. Our former bball coach before Hoskins, Andy Stoglin ended up eventually at JSU. Now you read about Whitney wanting to come out of retirement to coach PV. SMH

JR said:
Whitney needs to stay retired. PV needs more than an aged ICON to help their program. He was great when he was in his prime. But at his age, does he have the stamina to work with these kids. I aint thrilled with our (SU) hire but considering Whitney is just like SU bringing Jobe out of retirement again.

I agree. :shame:

how about nolan richardson to alabama state? he's not doing anything. they could help each other out. bama state gives him an opportunity to coach his way back to a high major and he gives them a chance to win a few tourney games. definitly not a long term answer. if they win he'd be out the door, but that'd be fine if he can get to the sweet 16.

Back