Antonio Falu Leaves Valparaiso

C-LeB28

Valparaiso loses a key scorer

January 16, 2002

Valparaiso still may be the team to beat in the Mid-Continent Conference men's basketball race, but the "favorite" label isn't quite as big.

Junior college transfer Antonio Falu has left the team "for personal reasons," the school announced.

Falu was third in scoring on a balanced team, averaging 12.4 points per game. The 6-6 guard played in 15 of 18 games, starting 10, and averaged 26 minutes per game.

Falu, a top-50 national recruit out of high school, originally signed with Houston but ended up at San Jacinto (Texas) Junior College. The Puerto Rico native was one of the top Juco shooting guards.

Valpo, with five NCAA tournament appearances in the past six years, was the overwhelming favorite to win the league this season.

The Crusaders (12-6, 2-1 Mid-Con) play for a share of first place Thursday with a home game against Oral Roberts (9-9, 3-0).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you Houstonians should remember this kid from Waltrip High School who helped his team to a state championship a few years back. I understand Valpo's head coach gave him an ultimatum that it was either going to be basketball at Valpo or his irate girlfriend that always interrupted practice (as you can see which option he took). This 6'5" guard was supposed to go to Cougarland (UH) but grades deterred him to San Jac. He'd make a great addition to the Tigers next year.

How much eligibility does he have? I recall that he was outstanding at Waltrip, but he sure changes schools a lot. Puerto Rico two years, an academy in Florida a year, Oak Hill a semester, Waltrip, San Jac, Valparasio. If the coach at his last school handed him an ultimatum, I don't see Courtney putting up with no outside distractions unless he has mellowed, lol.

1 year left

I assumed he was at Valpo due to Bryce Drew being in Houston at that time. No player of that caliber would go there without some kind of persuasion.

Put him at TSU for one year, you sell tickets.

I saw UH's McCallum at the Yates/Booker T game tonight. I only saw one player there worth looking at and he is a ball hog.

Was the player Tac Minor?

Falu could sell a few tickets I guess, but Courtney has certain expectations of his players (unless he has changed). I wonder if Falu could fit that mold, because if the coach gets upset you will sit regardless of talent. Also I wonder if Falu feels that he's ready to try pro.

yep, Tac Minor

sat the entire 4th quarter for some odd reason. Booker T got ran by the smaller Yates team. Their head coach sits behind the bench the entire game while the assistant coaches.

Back