And people want to degrade HBCU's

DaTruth4u

I just came across an article not having anything to do with HBCU's. However, I feel that it is a shame that some athletes go to these big time schools and major in COMMUNITY SERVICE? What in the he!!? How can you proudly tell someone that you majored in community service? One of the major pitches that these major college coaches say when they go out and make their recruiting pitches is, "Your son/daughter can come here and get a quality education". Hmmmm! I don't know how I would even respond if someone came to me looking for a job and on their resume it said that their major was community service.URL="http://www.mlive.com/spartans/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_grinzongreen/archives/2006_03.html#117059"]http://www.mlive.com/spartans/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_grinzongreen/archives/2006_03.html#117059[/URL]

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Don't know what Community Service is. I checked out the Michigan State U. website and it is listed as a degree, but it does not list the curriculum.

Several basketball players on Mississippi State University's team last year majored in Interdisciplinary Studies. What??? :confused: Is that you might say. Well here it is "The Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies is a university-wide degree coordinated through the Office of Academic Affairs by the Interdisciplinary Studies Committee. This multidiscipline academic program is appropriate for students motivated by specific interests not recognized in traditional majors and is not intended to compete with existing programs." "The Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies is intended to allow students maximum flexibility to custom-design a curriculum to their personal and career goals." :goof:

In others words. It's like majoring in underwater basket-weaving.

http://www.msstate.edu/web/interdisciplinary.html

Ive seen baseball players at Miss State major in (and Im not joking) "Growing Grass." Cant think of the technical name, but the commentators were talking about one day.

In my opinion, Coaching should be a major

Get Ready said:

Gee Arrah, coachin prolly falls under secondary education or health and physical education..notice education is the main word in both...

General studies my arse....interdisciplinary studies..only mixed martial arts fighters can hold that distincition...

Get Ready said:
Ive seen baseball players at Miss State major in (and Im not joking) "Growing Grass." Cant think of the technical name, but the commentators were talking about one day.

Horticulture?

jag4life said:
I think that is kinda like Public Administration.
Dude I got my MPA from Southern and work in PA, please don't play us down to community service. We are way more than that, playa

jag4life said:
I think that is kinda like Public Administration.

Bruh please do not degrade Public Administration like that...let me enlighten you real quick.

In the State of Louisiana there are 6 Master of Public Adminstration programs...guess which two have their accrededation (sp)....Grambling State University and Southern University....I have an MPA...dude this is not an easy degree...

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Bruh please do not degrade Public Administration like that...let me enlighten you real quick.

In the State of Louisiana there are 6 Master of Public Adminstration programs...guess which two have their accrededation (sp)....Grambling State University and Southern University....I have an MPA...dude this is not an easy degree...
Brother you feelin me huh...and hell no LSU's program is not accredited
Congrats on your MPA brother, trust me I'm felt the pain in that program, but it was well worth it.

Get Ready said:

growing grass.....as in weed? now that might come in....well never mind. gotta go find me something to eat...just starving...lol

(this is just a joke....I'm high on the Lord.....and after you eat that living bread you don't have the munchies)

To me, yall miss the boat on this. Some of these ball players come to play ball, they are not really interested in school or majoring in anything challenging. If it was not for sports, a team of horses couldn't drag them to be a college student.

NOW HERE IS MY POINT, NO SCHOOL (BLACK OR WHITE) FORCES THEM TO MAJOR IN THAT. IF THEY WANTED TO MAJOR IN COMPUTER SCIENCE. BUSINESS, ACCOUNTING, ENGINEERING, ETC. THEY COULD CHOOSE TO DO SO, BUT THEY DON'T. SO STOP BLAMING THE SCHOOL.

BUT WITH THAT SAID, I DON'T SEE A LOT WRONG WITH THAT. Most of them are better off in school majoring in anything at all that roaming the streets.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:

No brothers I came to that conclusion from reading the program descriptions on the UNT website I posted.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
jag4life said:
Horticulture?

I think that some mid-western school that JR went to offers(ed) that degree in <b>Horticultural Engineering</b>. Nothing wrong w/ it. There's a science to it. Seemed like it was challenging (early 90s).

I haven't done any reaseach but always felt that an MPA entaliled leading/running government entities. I look at it as an equivalent to an MBA that is utilized in the public sector..........I do know that one of the criterions for many leading government jobs is a MPA.

Lewis said:
To me, yall miss the boat on this. Some of these ball players come to play ball, they are not really interested in school or majoring in anything challenging. If it was not for sports, a team of horses couldn't drag them to be a college student.

NOW HERE IS MY POINT, NO SCHOOL (BLACK OR WHITE) FORCES THEM TO MAJOR IN THAT. IF THEY WANTED TO MAJOR IN COMPUTER SCIENCE. BUSINESS, ACCOUNTING, ENGINEERING, ETC. THEY COULD CHOOSE TO DO SO, BUT THEY DON'T. SO STOP BLAMING THE SCHOOL.

BUT WITH THAT SAID, I DON'T SEE A LOT WRONG WITH THAT. Most of them are better off in school majoring in anything at all that roaming the streets.

Well I heard from an ex football player at Mississippi State the Coach before Croom, advise his players what major to take. Especially if they had a low GPA and ACT coming out of high school. He advise them to find an easy major.

Lewis said:

Tiz true.... :lol: :emlaugh:

JROCK
Both of your points are well put my S.U. brother! I totally agree! When I was teaching one of my former students decided that he was going to play football at PV and I helped him decide on a major. His final two choices were P.E. to become a coach and Agriculture since he was from a rural area, he chose Ag because PV has a good Ag program. The brother is going to have a bright future in the swac and hopefully after he graduates.

levarg said:
Well I heard from an ex football player at Mississippi State the Coach before Croom, advise his players what major to take. Especially if they had a low GPA and ACT coming out of high school. He advise them to find an easy major.

I understand this statement. IF ANY student comes (not just an athlete) that has a low GPA and ACT, school advisors will tell them that. That is just common sense. BUT in the end, they still have choices and there are choices of "not so difficult" (technical) majors. These kids know what they are doing. Students talk.

A lot of these individuals end up as prison guards or inmates. Therefore, you have Communities in the Prison System which they can apply these courses they take and become leaders in their prison community. Sounds like I am joking but check it out.

I have a friend who graduated a few years ago from Iowa State with a degree in ...........recreation.Yes,he was a football player but he has done well for himself working in the auto industry.

It's a graduate degree offered in College of Social Science. It's community services and all that it takes to run them - i.e. United Way, BUF and those types of service organizations.

Back