An update on Vincent "SLIM" Jones (JSU Fans)

PV-PRIDE

Vincent "Silky Slim" Jones has come home to Greenwood hoping to make a difference in the lives of the city's young people.

Jones and his company, Dynamic Communications, are sponsoring the First Annual "Silky Slim" Hoopers One Day Basketball Camp Saturday at Greenwood High School.

The camp will run from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and is open to boys from 6 to 17.

"I had been thinking about it when I left Greenwood High. I'm trying to come back and get a little something out there for the kids," said Jones, a 1996 graduate of GHS.

A former Jackson State University basketball star, Jones, 25, has made it big in professional basketball - first in St. Petersburg, Russia and for the last two years in Istanbul, Turkey.

In Istanbul, Jones plays with a team known as Darrussafaka. While in St. Petersburg, he played with the Spartaks.

He has been named the Most Valuable Player in the Turkish Basketball League, according to Amanda Dear, Jones' fiancee, who also is involved with Dynamic Communications.

Jones said the purpose of the camp is to help Greenwood's youth in three key areas: leadership, self-esteem and sportsmanship.

"The kids are not being led the right way. I'm trying to build leaders. We're going to try and make it better and better every year," he said.

Reebok is sponsoring the weekend event, Dear said.
Friday night, a "Celebrity All-Star Game" will be held in the gym.

Representatives from the NBA and FIBA (the Federal International Basketball Association) as well as professional baseball and football players are expected to come in, Dear said.

Shun Pearson, program coordinator for Communities in Schools for Greenwood-Leflore County, said his group is sponsoring 25 kids to attend the camp and is challenging the Greenwood Police and Fire Departments to sponsor a similar number of kids.

Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Greenwood has also agreed to sponsor an equal number of kids to the camp.

The individual cost to attend the camp is flexible. If you have a legit reason, we're willing to work with you," Dear said.

Registration for the camp was held on June 14, but those interested in attending the camp can still sign up, she said.

Jones said he is optimistic the camp can make a difference in kids' lives.

"This is the first. We have to start somewhere," he said.

For more information on the camp, call 455-9386 or 299-7821.

Vincent "Silky Slim" Jones, second from right, will hold a basketball training camp at Greenwood High School Saturday. Helping with the camp are from eft, Curtis Williams, Community in Schools intern; Shun Pearson, CIS program coordinator; and Amanda Dear, of Dynamic Communications.

Wish more NBA players would take up this type of calling for their communities.

:tup:

I'm wishing Vincent Jones well and hopefully he can influence some of his fellow players to do the same or something similar.My homeboy, Randall Godfrey,hosts a football camp for the kids here at home every spring around May-June for 2-3 days.His camp has received rave reviews for the last 3-4 years.:)

Back