Alex Haley: 1937 Alcorn Football's Waterboy

SlickPartna

Client & Player President
Young_Andre_2782003_91234.jpg

Re: Interesting

Originally posted by Dirty
I didn't know about the Alcorn connection.

It was mentioned during Roots:The Next Generation. Dorian Harwood played Haley's father and during a conversation instructed his son to enroll in Alcorn...a fine school! (At least that's what I seem to remember..._)

Alcorn doing the damn thang!!....sort of! :tup:

One of my professors had an original picture of an Alcorn team that featured a yound Medgar Evers......I didn't even know he played ball at Alcorn.

Excuse me if I missed one line of a movie I have seen once.

All of his biographies don't mention Alcorn. I always thought he had just attended Elizabeth City.

My Senior year I met Alex Haley on campus. He joked about a French teacher giving him a "D", which prompted his father to pull him out of Alcorn.

I remember.....

As an undergrad Alex Haley visiting Southern. He spoke in the F.G. Clark Activity Center (minidome). The fire marshall surely could have closed the dome down. All seats were taken and people were sitting on the steps between seats. He did mention his undergrad experience at Alcorn. The SWAC member schools & HBCU's in general have surely had our share of students that impacted the world.

Tigerpride,

Good question. Take it for what it was worth. My wife just mention to me when I told her about this pciture, that it is her understanding that Alex Haley's father or mother spent some time teaching at then Alabama A & M / Normal High School, which would have given him some opportunity to ...

spend .... some time at AL A&M.

???

Maybe some Alabama A & M can elaborate.

Trying to put all of this together. I am interested by the Elizabeth City State part of the equation, as well.

Re: Haley

Originally posted by J C
Alex Haley also spent some time at AL A&M.

Haley's dad taught at A&M and was good friends with W.C. Handy "the father of the blues" who was then band director at AAMU...he spent the majority of his childhood on Normals' Hill.

There are even some references to AAMU in the book & movie "Queen"(halle berry)...It was the only school for blacks in northern ala who wished to receive an education. Haley's family is from the Florence,Muscle Shoals, Tuscumbia area...and the plantation seen in the movie "Queen" still has some remnants standing along with the slave cemetary where most of Haley's family are entombed.

Originally posted by Dirty
Excuse me if I missed one line of a movie I have seen once.

All of his biographies don't mention Alcorn. I always thought he had just attended Elizabeth City.

I found several biographies that mention Alcorn. Here is one found at Africanpubs.com:

PERSONAL
Born August 11, 1921, in Ithaca, New York, United States; died of cardiac arrest, February 10, 1992, in Seattle, Washington, United States; son of Simon Alexander (a professor) and Bertha George (a teacher; maiden name, Palmer) Haley; married Nannie Branch, 1941 (divorced, 1964); married Juliette Collins, 1964 (divorced); children: (first marriage) Lydia Ann, William Alexander; (second marriage) Cynthia Gertrude. Education: Attended Alcorn Agricultural & Mechanical College (now Alcorn State University); attended Elizabeth City Teachers College, 1937-39. Memberships: Authors Guild, Society of Magazine Writers.

Alex Haley Biographies:

The Black Press U.S.A., Iowa State University Press, 1990.
Contemporary Literary Criticism, Gale, Volume 8, 1978, Volume 12, 1980.
Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 38: Afro-American Writers After 1955: Dramatists and Prose Writers, Gale, 1985.
Black Collegian, September/October, 1985.
Christianity Today, May 6, 1977.
Ebony, April, 1977.
Forbes, February 15, 1977.

BTW, he didn't graduate from Alcorn on Elizabeth City. He left college and entered the Coast Guard. His book Queen mentions Alcorn and his life and decisions about going to college.

:rolleyes: @ some folk!

Anyway WAY TO GO ALCORN! Keep up the good work attracting great minds to the "Reservation"!

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Elizabeth City, Alabama A&M and Alcorn....okay...that's a bit much. Did he ever graduate??

I don't recall that he ever graduated from college. I thought he joined the military.

Graduate or not, he won a Pulitzer, and THAT'S a claim that FEW alumni/advanced degree having mofos can make ...

Originally posted by j-state_tiger06
Alcorn doing the damn thang!!....sort of! :tup:

One of my professors had an original picture of an Alcorn team that featured a yound Medgar Evers......I didn't even know he played ball at Alcorn.

Yeah, he and his brother, Charles Evers (the first black mayor of a town in Mississippi) graduated from Alcorn.

This is what I mean when I say...learn your history about Alcorn before you start disrespecting it. We MAKE history...Alcornites are known for it.

Last edited:
In Michael Hurd's Black College Football, there is a picture of him on Elizabeth City State's football team (#30).

It was a treat to see him speak in person.

Back