Alabama A&M prof hopes her robotics modeling will find its way to the ISS

CEE DOG

http://www.al.com/42/index.ssf/2012/06/alabama_am_prof_hopes_her_robo.html

DENVER, Colorado – An Alabama A & M University professor who made a robotics presentation Wednesday at the first annual International Space Station R & D conference in Denver says she was somewhat surprised when her proposal was accepted because her model isn't currently being used in ISS robotics programs.

In her presentation of a formal model of autonomous robotics systems, Dr. Yujian Fu, Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, said one key distinction is that it uses a formal specification language – Zed notation, which is used to model the system.

Dr. Fu says her research makes three main contributions to robotics modeling.

To begin with, it's relatively unique. "From my research of the available literature, there are very few programs being done in this manner. Only a few have been done using Zed notation. It's popular in Europe but not as popular here.

Secondly, she says, use of Zed notation actually defines the coordinated system. "Based on this definition, we can identify the robot and an obstacle's position and describe the navigation and communication of robots. In addition, a formal specification of how multiple robot systems collaborate can be described precisely."Finally, she says here work has established a sound foundation for the formal verification on the autonomous robotics systems. "Based on this model, we can analyze and reason the functional and non-functional requirements of the autonomous robotics system."

Dr. Fu said she was contacted by officials at Marshall Space Flight Center earlier this year about the upcoming ISS R & D conference, and decided to submit her paper.

"When I submitted my paper I did not realize this conference focuses especially on the ISS project, which is an international space project led by NASA. I just found the Robotics panel which fit for my research work, so I submitted my paper," she said.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back